Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a proper website

Options
2»

Comments

I have a fully inegrated CRM system in my website, along with a reservation system for agents who want to reserve apartments and upload documents. If I do say so myself its a high quality website. It has cost me $1500 US in the Philippines, where I am based. You would want to be corporate or not too smart to pay 20K to get your website done. And on top of that you are dealing with arrogant people who think they know it all, that wont take direction

www.sansonanddunne.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

You would want to be corporate or not too smart to pay 20K to get your website done. And on top of that you are dealing with arrogant people who think they know it all, that wont take direction

www.sansonanddunne.com

Couldn't agree more. I generally find that my endodontist won't let me give him direction when I need root canal treatment. The pilots don't listen to me either when I'm traveling with Aer Lingus and I start telling them how they should be flying the plane. Arrogant gits!

Laslo wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I generally find that my endodontist won't let me give him direction when I need root canal treatment. The pilots don't listen to me either when I'm traveling with Aer Lingus and I start telling them how they should be flying the plane. Arrogant gits!

You pretty much prove my point there. There is obviously room to discuss brand image, functionality of the site etc with the designer to arrive to the best possible design for your business, which indeed a person setting up a business should know something about.
    Its quite different from being at the dentist or on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I need to set up a professional looking website, which will need to contain a shop. Who would you recommend to set up a website? Will they purchase the desired domain name if possible on your behalf? How much does it cost? How long does it take to set up?

Hi,

I use godaddy for .com domains. They are cheap but more importantly I have been able to do everything with them I wanted to do. The one time I needed to ring their support, my problem was instantly sorted. You need to go elsewhere for .ie. It is always best if you yourself register and have control over your domains.

Hope you are sorted for a website at a reasonable rate. If you are not, I'm trying to get established in that business:

- I'm not a cowboy, have a BSC in computer science and almost 20 years IT exp
    - Based in Carrigaline, Cork
    - Moved to Cork from Dublin, finding salaries and choice of job much lower here and rather than accept a grad like salary I'm trying to get established in this area. This means very competitive quoting...
    - Have recently put together a web shop

Anyway I'd be happy to chat to you if you are not sorted. Contact details and portfolio visible at:

http://web.paulharrington.name/

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

there is a hosted service shopify.com where you can setup your on-line store on the go. Ready made templates are nice, not unique but you can also design your own. You can even use your own domain.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

heggie wrote: »
    heggie, a site that is not W3 compliant does not make the guy a cowboy. Quite frankly, if your only criticism is that it fails an automated validation check, then you aren't adding much to the conversation.

There are lots of different solutions to selling online. The question is, which one is right for you?

If what you are selling online is relatively straightforward, then you will probably find a lot of web software that will meet your needs. If you have the budget, and are serious though, leave it to professionals.

Talk to a couple of different companies/individuals, but under no circumstances go with anyone unless you have seen working samples of other sites they have done and you are happy with the work they have done.

My 2c....

in your opinion. not mine

My 2c....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're going to get a site done you're probably better off paying someone to do who is going to be around in 6 months or a year.. It doesn't matter if you choose a student or an established business - the student might be more reliable or the business could go down the tubes.

The main thing is to make sure that you have as much control over the domain and content as possible ie. the domain is registered to you with your details and not to the "student" or whoever.

Obviously this won't be as much of an issue if you're dealing with established designers / developers, but unfortunately a lot of people don't check the basics and then lose control of their site and domain(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

misterq wrote: »
    heggie, a site that is not W3 compliant does not make the guy a cowboy. Quite frankly, if your only criticism is that it fails an automated validation check, then you aren't adding much to the conversation.

There are lots of different solutions to selling online. The question is, which one is right for you?

If what you are selling online is relatively straightforward, then you will probably find a lot of web software that will meet your needs. If you have the budget, and are serious though, leave it to professionals.

Talk to a couple of different companies/individuals, but under no circumstances go with anyone unless you have seen working samples of other sites they have done and you are happy with the work they have done.

My 2c....

sure the car has a few bullet holes in it ... but .. but it adds to the speed of the car ... really I should be charging you more for it :D
    heggie wrote: »
    in your opinion. not mine

My 2c....

Have to agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

misterq wrote: »

My 2c....

In a sense I sort of appreciated the message as I had been aware of the W3C validator and intended to run my site through it. Anyway its now validated and I've even put the W3C icon on the bottom of the page.

Another good way of getting a feel for site construction is to open the Firefox Javascript Error Console (Tools/Error Console), click on pages and see what errors are thrown up. You'll notice however that most sites throw up errors and warning (e.g. some google sites throw up lots of errors). Even the pages on heggie's own W3C compliant site throw up the odd message.

my site is currently being rebranded - not every link works yet even, hence why i'm not posting it up. BTW google are well known for not following web standards, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't bother. Good to see you've fixed it, its a decent site and shouldn't be let down by the code!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

forbairt wrote: »
    sure the car has a few bullet holes in it ... but .. but it adds to the speed of the car ... really I should be charging you more for it

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbairtmedia.ie%2F
    http://www.contentquality.com/mynewtester/cynthia.exe?rptmode=-1&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbairtmedia.ie%2F

Hope those bullet holes aren't too big, :rolleyes:

(whistles and thinks about people and glass houses)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

BingoBongo wrote: »
    (whistles and thinks about people and glass houses)
    LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

BingoBongo wrote: »

But it makes my site go faster :D

(I knew I should have done something with that site .. ah well I'll be moving shortly once I get the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jhealy74

someone in this country would be best but if you cant if you want to do it on the cheap you could post the project on elance.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I would not recommend elance unless you have some technical understanding of exactly what you are looking for given that you will need to spec it for bidders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bernard colgan

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I need to set up a professional looking website, which will need to contain a shop. Who would you recommend to set up a website? Will they purchase the desired domain name if possible on your behalf? How much does it cost? How long does it take to set up?

Have you sorted out a website yet. I take it its going to be full Ecommerse website accepting orders and payments.

I've just got my website done and im more than Impressed with the work i got done . Full ecommerce webstore and my back office just shows the work that goes in to it. I got quotes from 6k to 12k and i found this guy Kamil on Gumtree.ie. He done me a great deal and i would highly recomend him to anyone . First class website he done for me. It does everything i hoped for and More! Only thing it doesnt do is make the tea :D
    Here his website http://www.internetsolutionsireland.com/

DiscountTillRolls.ie
    My website, still ADDing content to it but nearly there. Heres a pic of the back office to see some of the detail involve in it.

office.jpg

office2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Best of luck with the website,

I've never used the http://www.cs-cart.com/ software but they use open source technologies and should be easy to customise. The back end looks easy to work with. (I might download a trial) Also it’s reasonably priced for an off the shelf solution

I’ve looked at a few websites using the same programme and they appear very nice and professional here are a few ideas to work with while your building your website I always like to look at other styles when editing a website

http://www.taylorsnutrition.com/
    http://www.shopnhome.net/index.php?&sl=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

I can recommend www.demondesign.ie

info@demondeisgn.ie

Good prices and great interface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

xertpo wrote: »
    I can recommend www.demondesign.ie

info@demondeisgn.ie

Good prices and great interface.

Do they have a portfolio of work? The fact that even their holding page is built using tables isn't entirely reassuring. :(

Advertisement