Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom renovate

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Re tiling a bathroom guys., first job was to remove the old tiles. Worst job in my life. Its done now. There was some plasterboard damage on one wall, whcih i have repaired, and when some of the tiles came off, with glu, skim coat was damaged. I was going to repair any plaster damage with some high grade joint filler, and sand it down, and then consider a re skim. but, if i am actually going to be tiling over the lot, is a skim neccessary at all. any uneven blotches where skim came off, would it not be ironed out with the tile adhesive, but i am wondering does the skim serve a purpose, apart from a smooth finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I removed the tiles from my ensuite shower. Removed half the plaster as well. Just screwed 7 mm marine ply to the wall, and tiled over it. Just get one on those units that will detect a wooden batten behind the platerboard so that you are making a good connection with the screws.

Will work if you are tiling floor to ceiling. You'll just lose about 10 mm on each surface.

If I ever move into a new house again I'll put the plywood on before I tile. This will mean that the platsrboard will not be affected, the plywood can always be renewed.

Advertisement