Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumber rip off

Options
  • 17-01-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi i had a plumber call out to look at my 4 year old negative head pump which needed to be replaced the call out, labour and new pump came to 1450 euro :eek: so far everyone tells me i was ripped off big time, was i?? and if i was ripped off can i do anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AFAIK A good quality negative head pump can be bought in Chadwicks for about €600 - €800. How much labour is involved is another matter but I'm guessing €850 to remove the old one and fit the new one is excessive. My guess would be €200 - €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Is there any Irish equivalent of the American "Better Business Bureau", the government agency that regulates disputes over payments?

This plumber sounds as if he's saving up to gold-plate his builder's cleavage, has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Did he give you an invoice for the work detailing the breakdown of the 1450?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did you use a proper plumber? Or did you find a dodgy guy with a mobile number only... thinking he would be cheaper than someone listed?

I used someone "dodgy" for my oil burner.. Though he is a regular in the area. Im sure he did it off the books, cash only and no invoice but im confident in his work and the new burner he put in when mine died. all in, it was about €550 or so. Including a service of the boiler, new burner and a temp burner he built with bits of my one and another customers old one to get me through the weekend till he got the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

luckat wrote: »
    Is there any Irish equivalent of the American "Better Business Bureau", the government agency that regulates disputes over payments?

This plumber sounds as if he's saving up to gold-plate his builder's cleavage, has to be said.
    With the amount of knowledge now available to everyone with internet access a large amount of plumbing work can be tackled by the DIY'er.
    I can never understand why plumbers feel they should be paid the same hourly rate as say a doctor or cardiologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

juuge wrote: »
    With the amount of knowledge now available to everyone with internet access a large amount of plumbing work can be tackled by the DIY'er.
    I can never understand why plumbers feel they should be paid the same hourly rate as say a doctor or cardiologist.

Doctors etc., just deal with messier pipes and pumps, so they're basically the same.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Doctors etc., just deal with messier pipes and pumps, so they're basically the same.:)

Ever seem the inside of a sewer? The plumbers job is messier. A lot easier though. No pressure of the patient dieing if you feck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

yes got a reciept just says old pump removed new pump installed, feel a bit stupid now should have checked online for prices first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Did you ask him for an estimate before he started the job?

yes he told me what it would cost, the price was for the call out, looking at old pump and fitting new one, its my fault for not looking around first, was just fed up with old pump and needed it sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I really don't think you can claim 'rip-off', given that you agreed to the price up front.

yes i did agree to the price as i believed at the time it was expensive but necessary, its only after the fact that i found out it should not have cost any where near as much. Plumber Fib just doesn't sound right. my reason for posting a thread was i felt stupid and now very broke for next few weeks while i try to clear my lovely new overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Get a recommendation from a Neighbour/Friend

Get a least 3 Quotes for a job, and ensure they explicitly quote Inc or Ex VAt. Plumbers may sometimes do a job cheaper for CASH.

I have no problem standing in the same room as the work is being done. This put's them under pressure not to Bump up the job to something bigger. Ask for all old parts replaced to be left with you.

Don't be pressurised by some Gangsta who bumps up a job saying there is extra work to be done and forcing you to make a snap decision. Stop the Job if this happens and take a breather that allows you to make a decision.

If A guy charges VAT ask for a VAT receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Crikey, he gave you a quote and you accepted it, deal with it!

As a matter of habit I *always* quote customers before carrying out any work, get their signature agreeing to the price and always give a receipt even if they don't want it. This may seem excessive for small jobs but it stops situations like this imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

moceri wrote: »
    I have no problem standing in the same room as the work is being done. This put's them under pressure not to Bump up the job to something bigger. Ask for all old parts replaced to be left with you.

I'm not a tradesman but often do on-site repairs (not plumbing or electrical) and nothing pisses me off more than some eejit staring at me while I do a job. I have no problem telling them what i'm going to be doing and showing them the work after. If someone stands there staring at me I will tell them that I will give them a shout when it's done, if they insist on 'keeping an eye on me' I will carry out teh job as usual but will not answer any questions etc. they have. Their loss imho as normally I am happy to answer peoples questions etc. after i've completed a job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How long did the job take??

ok forget about it. its finished how do you end a thread?

Advertisement