Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mits perjero 7 seater

Options
  • 17-01-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

seen a 7seater mits pajero tonight, asked the man who owned it how much he wants for it, said 4 grand, absolutly minter, jap import lwb all electric. is this worth alot more / is it the going price, im thinking about buying it, its also down as a commercial 2800 perjero model with 250euro per anum tax, but he said it is cleared with the tax office if i wanted to register it as a passonger veichel as it has 7 seats..

i know this man along time so i do beleave him about the tax part, just wondering if the price is a good one or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A couple of things.
    Re the tax.Sooner (more likely) or later you will have to re-reg this as a passenger.Tax on a 2.8 is not cheap!!!!!
    With the 2.8 imports the part you will not want to go is the fuel pump.The are a wagon to go and will cost you a small fortune to get fixed.
    I would only buy 1 of these if you are competent enough to try and do things yourself like servicing etc.
    On the plus side they are superb machines and the 2.8 has a timing chain rather than a belt.
    I have a 2.5 and love it and am basically restoring it to her former glory.

BEFORE YOU BUY go to www.pocuk.co.uk and have a really good long browse thru the technical forum.The guys on there are genious and have bailed me out on an occasion.They are from all over the world and even include a superb ex Mitsi mechanic who will happily help out and even divulge secrets.
    (pocuk= pajero owners club uk).
    Any questions drop me a pm.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

thanks for that info, i guess like any car / jeep it is bound to give some sort of macinical trouble at some stage in its life and i prepared to take the bad with the good, at the moment myself and my missis drive a diseal golf which i cant knock its a great car but unfortuntly its just lacking space for our 2 baby car seats :)

My missis has her heart set on a Land Rover Free Lander 99/2000 in a 2liter diseal, im trying to work out why is a 99 & 00 land rover jeep only making 6-7 grand on the market.. are they known for gasket / turbo troubles like the petrol rover cars?? for the 4grand asking price on the pajero i think its a better looking jeep, more power! and all eletric originaly imported from japan. my girlfriend hasn't seen it tho and she has her heart set on the free lander..

the only reason why the man is selling it is his father took a stroke a few months back so he is no longer able to drive it, im sure at this price its going to be snapped up.

I am currently driving a '00 Land Rover Discovery Commercial.And if it is a toss between LR Disco or my 91 Pajero............Pajero hands down.
    Having said that I have never driven a freelander but they look small.I have 2 kids and sometimes,eg driving down to SW France on hols (which the pajero has done twice with no real problems) we are still tight on space even with a roofbox.
    Get the missus to test drive the paj and then the freelander then decide.
    But again I will say that you wont get away with commercial tax for too much longer.

thanks for your sound advice friend, although the tax is High for private jeeps i think it is currently at least 800 and set to go up more, i dont mind once i decide what better jeep to go for from the two. i would pay lower tax on the freelander sure, but if it broke down more times than the anything i wouldn't realy be saving in the with the cost of repairs..

i will take some time to test drives both

no prob.Keep us posted how you get on.
    Just a last note.On pocuk they give lots af advice on how to use the right oil etc which can effectivley act as a trouble shooter to lots of other prooblems.

• Advertisement

i wonder would these jeep be any use for 1200£, its a 94 lwb.. the one i see for sale here in my town is 1 year younger 1995 and its 4.000eu..

probably cost a small fortune to bring it home on the boat and clear the vrt prehaps..

http://www.click2add.co.uk/classifieds/?view=showad&adid=1636&cityid=3&catid=0&subcatid=0&imgid=0&pricemin=0&pricemax=0&mailed=y&mailerr=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

bcmf wrote: »
    I am currently driving a '00 Land Rover Discovery Commercial.And if it is a toss between LR Disco or my 91 Pajero............Pajero hands down.
    Having said that I have never driven a freelander but they look small.I have 2 kids and sometimes,eg driving down to SW France on hols (which the pajero has done twice with no real problems) we are still tight on space even with a roofbox.
    Get the missus to test drive the paj and then the freelander then decide.
    But again I will say that you wont get away with commercial tax for too much longer.

I'd pick the Pajero over the Freelander any day, for love nor money would i drive a car engineered by Rover clearly due to the fact there not worth the hassle...

The petrol engine is headgasket prone and will 90% most likely to go once in your ownership but i will give them the thumbs up for the diesel engine they "borrowed" from Bmw from the 320 but i work on Pajero's all the time and there a decent jeep, lile the Landcruiser!!

I have gone thru his posts on pocuk and he seems to have done a bit to his pajero (which means less for you to do).But he doesnt mention fuel pump seals.He also seems to know a bit about what he is at.Go onto to revenue.ie and see how much it will cost in vrt.If you go decide to go for it let me know and I will do alist of pajero questions to ask him.ATB

hi all, Myself and the partner took a test drive in the free lander, 2000 model from a garage, found a ccouple of things not right with it..

1s off the clocks / display were all shattered! yes shattered dont know how it hapened the garage just took it in as a trade in and said thats the way it was :rolleyes:

the tape deck radio & clock thats built in to the dash board failed to light up.

the window at the boot was electric, when you open the door it was only sumtimes droped down when the door closed it somtimes would close up and somtimes it didn't :rolleyes:

as we took it for a test drive on a straight road we could here some cracking noises from the rear even tho the jeep was empty so it was a bit strange, maybe bushings needed replace..

Anyways that was that out the window and the same with the 2nd one we wenting to view, more stupid little things like water in the break lights which means the seal was no good and the clutch felt very soft.. it did a bit of grinding when going inti reverse, the first jeep was fine in the clutch department.

I think my girlfriend is happy enough to leave the free lander well alone.

regarding the 7 seater pajero i took a spin in it by myself and wow what a drive, he claims they are making 7k on the auto trader and 5 grand at a quick sale, so i recon he would still sell to me for the 4gand 4400 mark. the aloys are sparkling clean it shows on the log book its been in ireland for 2 years now 'march 2006' with this man been the first reg owner in this country. not that i know much about jeeps at all but i realy want this one! my partner hates the idea of a big jeep but she has drove her fathers land cruiser so she might get the hang of it easily.

it was registered from the garage it was sold from as a 5 seater commercial, with 2 extra seats in storgae as we speak - they fit in the rear of it when wanted. is there a company in ireland that would insure myself and my girlfriend as a name driver on a LWB 5 seater jeep As commercial or does commercial jeeps have to be 2 seaters only'?

look forward to all your replys:)

ok.
    The first Freeloader.Turn around and walk very far away.Sounds like something really bad happened it and will only be a bag of trouble.Plus the fact that the seller hasnt even bothered to fix those problems would make me run very far away.

The second freeloader.The clutch maybe on its way out.What kind of creaking.Suspension creaking or grinding creaking.Grinding would possibly be gearbox trouble (dont know the drivetrain set up for these).Suspension creaking!!If it has a towbar did it look worn/used.If so then it has been used to lug horsebox etc around and am not sure whether these were built for that kinda work.

Now the Pajero:
    The seats in the boot just bolt into the side panels of the boot and just lay flat on the floor when being used.When not being used they "fold up" against the side boot window.being supported by a strap.I took mine out as I needed the boot space more than the seats.
    Re your insurance.The only way to find out for sure is to ring your insurance and see what they say.BUT I would be pretty sure that you would have to re-reg as a passenger NOT a commercial as the Revenue are really clamping down on passengers registered as comms.
    I stand to be corrected here BUT I THINK this is the way it works.
    In order for you to tax it as a comm you need to have it DOE'd rather than NCT'd.For the DOE guys to pass it as a comm they will insist that the back seats are removed and the bolts holes that the back seats are bolted into permanently sealed ie welded shut. so that may knock that on the head.
    I know a lad who imported a nice 4x4 and registered thru his business as a comm even though it had all the bells and whistles of a pass.Anyhow he was stopped at a customs checkpoint and long story short had tp pay the balance of importing as a commercial.I think all in the final bill was in or around €25k.
    Again I stand to be corrected on this.
    Just as a matter of interest is there an in date tax cert in the window.
    IF NOT then I would suggest that the owner knows that this is the case and does not wanna pay the big tax on it.
    If it is not taxed in date I would go back to him offer max €4k and tell him that you will have to re-reg and tax as a passenger and I would be fairly sure that he will let it go at that.
    you havent mentioned what year it is?
    ATB

• Advertisement

hi there thanks for all that update! iv been offline for a few weeks my mam passed away on the 24th of jan she was a young sick woman batteling cancer for 8 years..

Iv visit 3 jeeps altogether and iv made my mind up about the pajero. as we speak it is in getting an oil change and filter... i took it for a seccond test drive only monday and its flying... bushings and all seem to in good order - no knoking noises like the other freelanders...

its a 1995 reg Lwb estate. currently taxed & doe's untill march next month. he said i can have it for 4200 and he's paying for the service.

I was looking on carzone and their is a 1995 very simular pajero same colour same engine size '2800cc' making over 8k! here is a quick link if you have time to see what its like.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=677465

mine is identical to this :)

very sorry to hear about your mother.Condolences.
    I hope you are ok.

As regards the paj seems like a good buy.You will find that they really are great yokes and you will enjoy the drive.
    Now get youself onto pocuk.com
    Join and you will have a mountain of stuff/info to choose from.
    They will help you out with loads of big and small probs.You will find that if you are mechanical minded in anyway you will be able to do loads of stuff yourself.
    ATB and keep well

thanks mate. im off getting my insurance now in the morning. so far so good. not as fast as most cars iv ever owned but in a way that a good thing..
    It may help me keep by penatly points down :rolleyes:

I will sign up soon one of the days - to that paj club site.

Advertisement