Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 'sorry' enough

Options
  • 17-01-2008 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I went to withdraw money from an atm machine in collegetoday, as soon as I put my card in it swallowed it and did nothing so I phoned the number on the machine, wasnt at a branch.

I explained what at happened and you man just goes, oh must be a fault with the machine sorry about that, you can wait up to 21 days to get it back as its not a card from our bank or you might be better to cancel it and get a new one!

I went banana's on the phone, why should I do without access to my laser card for over a week because 'their' machine fcuked up and "Sorry" is the best they can do. I had no access to money, didnt have a a car to go a branch which was not in walking distance. I ended up borrowing money off a mate to get lunch.

Also last week sky accidently turned off my box without warning because they didnt recieve my direct debt details which I posted back the day I got it, again they said "Sorry, our mistake", sorry isnt going to record all the programs I set the sky box to record while I was gone.

Now maybe I am over sensitive or whatever I certainly dont agree with people suing at the drop of a hat, not that either of these issue warranted it but lets Imagine I am in the airport about to go on holidays and a machine swallows my bank card for no fault of mine whatsoever and my only access to money is now gone, because their system fails. Do you think sorry would cut it then?? As a techie I know machines fail and accidents happen but you would think there would be some sort of comp for the inconvience caused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I couldn't pay my yearly car tax cause Ulster W@nk screwed up my laser card, felt like a fool in the tax office queued for ages,during my college exams and could only buy 3 months tax!!!, Rang the bank to find out why the payment wouldn't go through apparently there was a debit of €482 coming out of my account, didnt remeber having a bill that size and they couldn't give me anymore info, told to ring the following day....

Rang the following day, no debit from account at all...the money for the car tax was still there and available...explained my problem to the Ulster W@nk drone.... they said that my details might have gotton mixed up with someone else....told the drone about my car tax and she said "oh did you not know you can pay it online or over the phone"
    I said what good is that when your taking out money for stuff I never purchased...

F**kin muppets now trying to tell me how to pay my bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

people do not take pride in their work anymore so they dont care what problems their machine failure causes you because they still get paid buttons on thursday/friday regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sky are generally very good with compensation. They made a complete muck of my installation about two years ago, engineer never arrived first time. When he finally did, then the viewing card took weeks to arrive in the post, only to find when it finally arrived that they'd cancelled it and had to re-issue another one. After dropping them a (polite!) email describing all the issues they credited me with four months viewing on the top package half price immediately. So drop them an e-mail using the form on their website and they will usually give you some sort of compensation.

With the bank cards though, unfortunately that does happen quite often, usually not directly a fault with the bank. The vast majority of the time is because the machine card mechanisms get destroyed by people putting in cracked, split, bent or cards with layers of filth on them and it wrecks the reader, with the result that the machine will probably swallow most of the cards that are put into until its repaired. They are doing something about it though, a lot of newer ATMs have the mechanism where you simply insert and then remove the card into a slot yourself, it doesn't actually go into the machine at all. But thats why personally I would never rely on just one piece of plastic for cash, I'd always carry a second card of even some cash that I could at least temporarily survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

dbnavan wrote: »
    I went to withdraw money from an atm machine in collegetoday, as soon as I put my card in it swallowed it and did nothing so I phoned the number on the machine, wasnt at a branch.

I explained what at happened and you man just goes, oh must be a fault with the machine sorry about that, you can wait up to 21 days to get it back as its not a card from our bank or you might be better to cancel it and get a new one!

I went banana's on the phone, why should I do without access to my laser card for over a week because 'their' machine fcuked up and "Sorry" is the best they can do. I had no access to money, didnt have a a car to go a branch which was not in walking distance. I ended up borrowing money off a mate to get lunch.

Also last week sky accidently turned off my box without warning because they didnt recieve my direct debt details which I posted back the day I got it, again they said "Sorry, our mistake", sorry isnt going to record all the programs I set the sky box to record while I was gone.

Now maybe I am over sensitive or whatever I certainly dont agree with people suing at the drop of a hat, not that either of these issue warranted it but lets Imagine I am in the airport about to go on holidays and a machine swallows my bank card for no fault of mine whatsoever and my only access to money is now gone, because their system fails. Do you think sorry would cut it then?? As a techie I know machines fail and accidents happen but you would think there would be some sort of comp for the inconvience caused.

so let me get his straight, you want feel you deserve compensation because

1) the machine swallowed ur card and you couldn't afford the 95 cent to
    get the bus to the nearest branch,

2) you missed the latest eposide of sex and the city

jesus wept............... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If both ATM and bank card are from the same bank I would make an issue of it, otherwise your wasting your time as ATM owner will blame bank card issuer and the bank card issuer will blame the ATM owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

so let me get his straight, you want feel you deserve compensation because

1) the machine swallowed ur card and you couldn't afford the 95 cent to
    get the bus to the nearest branch,

2) you missed the latest eposide of sex and the city

jesus wept............... :rolleyes:

Where the hell did he say he wanted compensation?

1) He was at the machine to take out money. You usually do that because you have no money on you, sooooooo...... he probably didn't have the fare for a bus, hence the taking out money part.

2) Now your just being an unhelpful smart-arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

dbnavan wrote: »

If you were at an airport about to go on holidays with only one card and the machine swallows it then it's really your own fault for not being properly prepared. What if you got to said exotic location and you sat on your card and broke it? Apart from the fact it was your own fault, what would you do for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

daiixi wrote: »
    If you were at an airport about to go on holidays with only one card and the machine swallows it then it's really your own fault for not being properly prepared. What if you got to said exotic location and you sat on your card and broke it? Apart from the fact it was your own fault, what would you do for money?

What bank are you with that you they give more then one ATM card per account or do you have several backup accounts, if I sat on my card and broke it, it would be my fault and an inconvenience but I have always only carried one card on me. Same could be said if I lost my wallet on holiday and all my cards where gone. But the point of my hypoetical situation is I am pointing out how a fault on the banks side could really screw up a customers plans where the customer in no way played a part in the error, except by choosing to use that machine. If I broke the card in the scenario you laid out the fault would be entirely mine therefore no complaint with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Kensington wrote: »
    Sky are generally very good with compensation. They made a complete muck of my installation about two years ago, engineer never arrived first time. When he finally did, then the viewing card took weeks to arrive in the post, only to find when it finally arrived that they'd cancelled it and had to re-issue another one. After dropping them a (polite!) email describing all the issues they credited me with four months viewing on the top package half price immediately. So drop them an e-mail using the form on their website and they will usually give you some sort of compensation.

Our Sky box broke a few years ago , rang sky up did the usual "take card out , plug it out at the back " stuff , when this didn't work they said they'd send someone out to fix it , closest available time was 2 weeks away or something.
    Thats grand yerman came out and spent the best part of the day working away. I was the only person in the house (was about 15-16 ) and he told me the work was done , said that it would come on in a few minutes when HQ activated. So believing him i signed the work done form, waitied 3 hours when it still wasn't working rang sky, they asked me to do the same ol crap with the sky box. When it didn't do anything they said they needed to send out somebody and they wont be there for 2 weeks! Dad rang them when he got home and was on the phone to them for at least an hour and the only compensation we were given was that we wouldn't have to pay our subscription between the two dates that the technician called out!

You must have been talking to someone nicer than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I dont mean or intend to be a pest but thats life.

What did you expect? Honestly tell us what you would have liked to happen??

An ATM card can turn around in 5 days they were only covering their arse by saying 21 days. If you ended up borrowing money from a mate for lunch isn't it great that you have someone you can borrow off until you can get to the branch to get money out to do you until you get your card back. I'm sure if you didnt go "Bananas" at the fella on the phone he could have been more helpful and pushed through your card for you quicker, it can be done.

As for sky no doubt they have something in the customer agreement which covers their arse but you say that "sorry isnt going to record all the programs I set the sky box to record while I was gone."is that the comp your looking for because most sky stations repeat themselves pretty much within the week and if you were nice to the man and I'm sure you were a suggestion of a months free viewing works it has for me before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nadia55

t
    The same happened to me last wed, AIB machine swallowed my card, as it's not connected to a bank they can't send someone out to retrieve the card so my only option is to get a new one, they kindly put me through to BOI and I ordered a new card, the one it swallowed was only a few weeks old and was told a new card will cost me €5.90. If it was a BOI atm they might be able to do something about the fee but not with an AIB one.

So I lodged a complaint with the guy on the phone from the atm provider, not only am i without a laser card for I don't know how many days I will have to pay interest and cash withdrawal fees on the money I had to take out from my credit card that evening, hard to shake off when your very broke!
    Sorry is not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Nadia55 wrote: »
    t
    .... I ordered a new card, the one it swallowed was only a few weeks old and was told a new card will cost me €5.90.....

BOI charge for new ATM cards? :eek:

EDIT: Just reread it and saw it's only a few weeks old. I didn't think they ever charged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

t
    The same happened to me last wed, AIB machine swallowed my card, as it's not connected to a bank they can't send someone out to retrieve the card so my only option is to get a new one,

When the machine is next serviced, and cards would be returned to the issuing bank, and you'd get it back that way.
    If it was a BOI atm they might be able to do something about the fee but not with an AIB one.

If it was a BOI machine, they would be in possession of the card, and could have returned it quickly. Since it wasn't their machine, they couldn't tell you how long it would take to get back.
    So I lodged a complaint with the guy on the phone from the atm provider, not only am i without a laser card for I don't know how many days I will have to pay interest and cash withdrawal fees on the money I had to take out from my credit card that evening, hard to shake off when your very broke!

You didn't have to take money out on your credit card, that was your own choice.

If you're looking for a guarantee that cards will never be swallowed by bank machines, then you're looking for the impossible. Besides sorry, what can they do? It's not possible to have someone open the machine and get your card back, unless it's actually at a bank, and the bank is open.
    schween wrote: »
    BOI charge for new ATM cards? :eek:

They do if you order a new one. When your card expires, they replace it for free. In this case, the person could have waited for the card to come back through the bank, though that would have taken several days.

Have more than 1 bank card, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My mother went to withdraw 300 from the machine, it swollowed her card, didt give her her money but the money was shown as withdrawn from the account. And to boot she was abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did it get credited back to her account? This happens, not just abroad, but the money comes back after about 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jor el wrote: »
    Did it get credited back to her account? This happens, not just abroad, but the money comes back after about 24 hours.

It took me 3 weeks to get it back when it happened to me here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

daiixi wrote: »
    What if you got to said exotic location and you sat on your card and broke it? Apart from the fact it was your own fault, what would you do for money?
    Call the bank (or in case it is a VISA/MC them directly) and request a replacement card and I'd pick it up with in 48h as per my global service contract with them, problem solved (some banks even arrange immidiate cash if needed) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

t
    The same happened to me last wed, AIB machine swallowed my card, as it's not connected to a bank they can't send someone out to retrieve the card so my only option is to get a new one, they kindly put me through to BOI and I ordered a new card, the one it swallowed was only a few weeks old and was told a new card will cost me €5.90. If it was a BOI atm they might be able to do something about the fee but not with an AIB one.

Snap!!

Same thing happened me last night. Mine was swallowed by a Permanent TSB machine and when I rang BOI I was told I should cancel the card and get a new one. Like you, I was told this is going to cost me €5.90. I debated telling the girl on the phone that I'd wait til it came out of the machine but being realistic that's just not practical.

Find it a bit hard to swallow that when something that is completely out of your control happens, the banks can still charge you for a replacement. Fair enough if I lose my card due to carelessness but my pin was correct so I'm not at fault in this situation.

By the way this is the first time I've ever been charged for a replacement. I've had a handbag stolen before and the atm card that was in it was replaced for free by BOI. Must be a new thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

On Wednesday I withdrew €350 from the ATM outside the AIB in Drogheda. Just after I had selected €350, the ATM rebooted and ate my card! I was preparing myself for a huge ordeal to get my card back, but they were really helpful and just went into the ATM room and retrieved it. In fact they didn't even ask me for my name or any ID to verify the card was mine (I just said it was a Halifax card) :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

eth0_ wrote: »
    On Wednesday I withdrew €350 from the ATM outside the AIB in Drogheda. Just after I had selected €350, the ATM rebooted and ate my card! I was preparing myself for a huge ordeal to get my card back, but they were really helpful and just went into the ATM room and retrieved it. In fact they didn't even ask me for my name or any ID to verify the card was mine (I just said it was a Halifax card) :-D

Probably sitting at a window sniggering with their fingers hovering over the CTRL+ALT+DEL ....

;)

On topic though:
    Visa got me a card delivered to my Hotel in the Czech Republic in 24 hours after i'd lost my wallet the previous day in Ireland !

Now thats service ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm sure if you didnt go "Bananas" at the fella on the phone he could have been more helpful and pushed through your card for you quicker, it can be done.
    Hate to say so, but I agree: no-one goes out of their way to help a b*****d, as it often comes back to bite them in the ass, but will often go out on a leg to help a nice polite person. Heck, I've sent out CD's from my own money to nice people, and have refused to send out keyboards (paid by the company) to b*****ds.

Once had a card swallowed, but luckily it was part of a branch. Asked nicely, and told if I came back tomorrow, I could get it off them. No doubt if I yelled at them, they'd have told me 21 days... If you had been nice, you could have been told when it's "most likely" will be back, as opposed to the "standard turn around time".
    craichoe wrote: »
    Probably sitting at a window sniggering with their fingers hovering over the CTRL+ALT+DEL ....
    Sorry, but that made me giggle :D

=-=

Oh, and sorry isn't enough, but tearing the head off the person you call won't resolve it any quicker. Heck, it'll probably take longer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had a BOI card taken by AIB branch ATM, went in and got it back in 5min :)

Advertisement