Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Help, Please?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ahoy, hope someone can help me out.

Basically, my computer is a fossil, I'm on dial-up and not in the least bit knowledgeable when it comes to this broadband malarky.

What I was hoping for is just a bit of clarification concerning what is needed to get broadband and if my computer is capable of it. Tis an eons old Dell that I've never had a single problem with (despite the fact the OS is Win ME... I'm sure some of the more tech savvy forumites have just had an aneurism reading that) and as I only really use it for Word, surfing the net and managing my music collection, I've never seen a reason to get a new one or upgrade or anything. Got it about 2001, IIRC.

Anyhow, as I said, I'm really completely useless when it comes to these things and know nothing about the necessary computer-bits, so I was wondering if there are any internal doohickies that you need to take advantage of broadband that a PC like mine wouldn't have. It has USB slots, so I know I can use that... but do I need an ethernet card? I have no real idea what that is but I often see it mentioned in relation to internet blah-stuff.

Assuming my dear old computerthing isn't missing any crucial component in it's innards that I'd need to get broadband, I was also wondering if there's any service provider anyone would care to recommend. I pay for the internet cos I'm the only one that uses it, while the parentals pay the phone bill. I mention that little tidbit because it means I probably won't be able to take advantage of any offer that involves a bundle deal with broadband/phone/tv or anything like that (they are set in their Eircom-using ways), so I'm really only just looking for a recommendation for a decent stand-alone broadband-only package.

The first one to reply with "Get a new PC" gets a dig.

Thanks muchly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Demondaze wrote: »
    Ahoy, hope someone can help me out.

Basically, my computer is a fossil, I'm on dial-up and not in the least bit knowledgeable when it comes to this broadband malarky.

What I was hoping for is just a bit of clarification concerning what is needed to get broadband and if my computer is capable of it. Tis an eons old Dell that I've never had a single problem with (despite the fact the OS is Win ME... I'm sure some of the more tech savvy forumites have just had an aneurism reading that) and as I only really use it for Word, surfing the net and managing my music collection, I've never seen a reason to get a new one or upgrade or anything. Got it about 2001, IIRC.

Anyhow, as I said, I'm really completely useless when it comes to these things and know nothing about the necessary computer-bits, so I was wondering if there are any internal doohickies that you need to take advantage of broadband that a PC like mine wouldn't have. It has USB slots, so I know I can use that... but do I need an ethernet card? I have no real idea what that is but I often see it mentioned in relation to internet blah-stuff.

Assuming my dear old computerthing isn't missing any crucial component in it's innards that I'd need to get broadband, I was also wondering if there's any service provider anyone would care to recommend. I pay for the internet cos I'm the only one that uses it, while the parentals pay the phone bill. I mention that little tidbit because it means I probably won't be able to take advantage of any offer that involves a bundle deal with broadband/phone/tv or anything like that (they are set in their Eircom-using ways), so I'm really only just looking for a recommendation for a decent stand-alone broadband-only package.

The first one to reply with "Get a new PC" gets a dig.

Thanks muchly!
    You may need a PCMCIA card if you want wireless broadband.Does your PC have a slot for this? Look at Eircom site and their bundles. One bundle is 1 MB download speed/10 gigs per month download and is around 51 euro per month with free evening and weekend calls but maybe that would not suit the parentals;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Thanks for the reply!

I have no idea if my PC has a slot for such. Clueless about these things, as I said :D

But I'd have no problem foregoing wireless for a wired option anyhow, just need to know if my PC isn't missing anything important for getting any form of broadband, due to it's advanced years.

Another question, if anyone cares to answer; if it turns out I can get broadband, is a speed of 1mb good enough for using Xbox Live on my 360 or would I need something faster?

Anyone?

I promise this is the only time I'll bump this!

I have no idea if my PC has a slot for such. Clueless about these things, as I said :D
    what does your pc have? floppy drive? dvd drive? post the exact make/model/link to picture

It's a Dell Dimension 8100. I did a google and found the following page with specs that seem accurate:

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/desktops/0,1000000973,10000057,00.htm

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

First off it's very unlikely that your PC has a PCMCIA slot as these are only found on laptops:) It should be more than adequate but it depends on whether or not it's got a ethernet port or not - have a look at the back panel picture on this page (looks like a "fat" telephone socket). If it doesn't you could add an ethernet port with a USB to ethernet adapter (no case opening involved) or you could go for a PCI ethernet card (case opening involved) which would probably be a better option. If you've never tinkered with a PC innards it's actually a lot easier than you'd think. Finally if you feel the need to have a wireless network you could use a USB wireless adapter or a wireless PCI card. All of this stuff is very cheap on EBay but you can also get it in Maplin/any decent computer store.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 running windows 98 that I got free off a friend - I fitted a cheap PCMCIA wireless card from Ebay and use it for internet radio and recipes in the kitchen.

Not a big xbox liver (not the organ obviously!)myself but basic broadband should be fine - I think "pings" are more important than speed - someone on here should be able to advise you further re Eircom wrt to this. An other consideration is whether or not your xbox, phone line and PC are in close proximity to each other - if not wireless might be better but you'd need to fork out for an adapter for the 360

digitaldr wrote: »
    First off it's very unlikely that your PC has a PCMCIA slot as these are only found on laptops:)
    Sorry for some reason I assumed it was a laptop:o

Hmm... I don't think it has the "fat" telephone socket thingy.

I was actually only reading up on opening up the machine to tinker with the innards last night (I wanted to expand the RAM but that seems to be a bit stupidly expensive for a machine as old as this one on account of the type of RAM it uses) and you're right, it doesn't sound that difficult. So I guess I'll look into the wireless/wired options available and then go get myself the necessary doodads to join the 21st century.

Thanks a lot, both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hmm... I don't think it has the "fat" telephone socket thingy.

There's one one the Xbox 360 too.

First off it's very unlikely that your PC has a PCMCIA slot as these are only found on laptops:)
    My old laptop was not wireless enabled so I got a PCMCIA card to connect to wireless network. If I had wanted to connect to a wired network what would I have needed? An ethernet card or cable or both?

I also got an eternet cable with the wireless setup, so I could connect wired if needed

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, both of you!
    You're welcome, I did a search to see if I could advise you further but did not understand re ethernet card/cable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

. If I had wanted to connect to a wired network what would I have needed? An ethernet card or cable or both?

Both. Feed the cable from the NIC to the router, and the router to the DSL socket in the wall.

Both. Feed the cable from the NIC to the router, and the router to the DSL socket in the wall.
    ok thanks

Advertisement