Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

biggest mistake you ever made in your life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Choosing chips over 'daddy'.

i always choose daddy, he brings me chips :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

I loaded a crane incorrectly without securing straps. The crane lifted the foundation walls to a considerable height and then plumeted down to earth very nearly crushing two romanian workers. They were so so angry at me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Anyways... wonder what Wayne O'Donoghue would post on this thread?

Not hanging himself in Prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I loaded a crane incorrectly without securing straps. The crane lifted the foundation walls to a considerable height and then plumeted down to earth very nearly crushing two romanian workers. They were so so angry at me..

Could have been worse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Quiting playing competetive football when I was 14 and then watching two of my mates I used to run rings around go on to make it as professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Buying a house at 19 years of age before seeing the world:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

picking my current f*cking roomate. The only time he acted nice to towards me is when we were interviewing him. C*nt gets along with my other roommate but never attempted to get along with me. Really really wish we had picked the other girl who wanted to take the room. (She was good looking too :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

watna wrote: »
    Choosing the course i did in college. That was a big mistake.... if i could go back in time i would.

ho yes! i'm on final year now and i'd go back and do law if i could, i had the points and all :( also, i would run a million miles from ucd. any other college but ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

not asking the girl of my dreams out untill it was too late.:(

awww. thats really sad. how is it too late, if ya don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Going back to work in this **** hole for purely monetary reasons. Im going to resign and sleep away my savings. Maybe tonite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not moving out for college, half 6 mornings are killing me.
    i would also like to go back to the start of secondary school and do things differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The biggest mistake I have ever made in my life would have to not going to bed early enough. It's a complete bitch in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Cremo wrote: »
    i would also like to go back to the start of secondary school and do things differently.

Try a quarter to six mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Three times a week I get up at 4.40AM to be in work for six!

My regret was not going to college.
    I took a year out after the LC and I am currently in my seventh year out :rolleyes:

I am too used to a weekly wage that admittedly, I could not do without now!

Three times a week I get up at 4.40AM to be in work for six!

My regret was not going to college.
    I took a year out after the LC and I am currently in my seventh year out :rolleyes:

I am too used to a weekly wage that admittedly, I could not do without now!

And winner by T.K.O. King Balboa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

You know life is like a tapestry pull at a thread and the whole thing might unravel. The mistakes make you as much as the successes.
    There are times to lament about the past and the different turns but you must always remember you have to leave from where you are to get where you want to go.
    Of course I regret things I did but mostly those I hurt and I honour that hurt by not doing it again. It is better to have love ,lost and learnt. I am not religious but forgiveness is important as a mutile concern .

to be in for nine?

i have to travel a measly 12 miles to college and it takes me that long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cremo wrote: »
    Well the second one definitely can't be reversed, but the first one can. If not this year then how about next autumn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Not spending more time with my father before he passed away. I kept my ex-GF happy by moving to London with her, even though i knew my father was ill.:(
    Starting a relationship with that wagon is my second biggest regret.

No other regrets in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

stepping off the kerb that day.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Well the second one definitely can't be reversed, but the first one can. If not this year then how about next autumn?
    aye, i've been thinking about it a lot, it's one of the main reasons why i'm doing work placement for the second semester of third year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Not telling girl that I had become best friends with that I loved her. She later met a guy and fell in love but he treated her like s*it, constantly cheating on her, even told her about it and she kept him. A few years later, and after breaking up with him, she hinted that he'd been hitting her (without actually saying). Last time I saw her she was back with him. I Asked her in front of him what she was doing back with that asshole cos he was a c*nt. She didn't talk to me again after that. i don't regret saying it, I still miss her though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Kipperhell wrote: »
    You know life is like a tapestry pull at a thread and the whole thing might unravel. The mistakes make you as much as the successes.
    There are times to lament about the past and the different turns but you must always remember you have to leave from where you are to get where you want to go.
    Of course I regret things I did but mostly those I hurt and I honour that hurt by not doing it again. It is better to have love ,lost and learnt. I am not religious but forgiveness is important as a mutile concern .

Dude, that was Deep....:cool:

and good.........and i'm with you on it.
    Respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

not getting that Chilean bird's phone number last night when she was all over me, AAAAGHHHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose a lot of things around the time I moved in with a friend that I loved, who knew nothing of it.
    :O

My biggest mistake, hmm, made plenty of biggies such as not studying for the leaving cert and making an arse out of college as I hated it, but I've plans to rectify that but it's just a pity as it could have been done and finished with already.

Certainly regret some of the jobs I've had too, but again it's nothing that wasn't or won't be fixed quite easily.

Not going to Australia seemed to be a big mistake given that I was stuck in this sh1te hole of a country for the year whilst I could have been off there, but I met a girl during that time who I'm now madly in love with so I suppose it worked out ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

awww. thats really sad. how is it too late, if ya don't mind me asking?

by the time i worked up the guts to ask her out she'd got fed up waiting and hooked up with someone else. i was absolutely gutted because the reaction i got off her practically screamed she would have said yes.

i can still see it now. we were talking earlier on and she was telling me about her new job and how thats how i havent seen her for ages (where she worked before meant we ran into each other practically everyother day) and i thought to myself if i dont do this now god knows when i'll see her again so i decided to do it at the end of the night. where she was sitting meant she had to pass me and if she said no she'd be leaving and wouldnt be stuck in a room with me.

so as she was leaving with her friend (girl) i asked her out. the woman was floored. she made me ask her twice just to make sure she heard me right. i can still see her, lips quivering , and i thought she came this close to saying yes before she recoverd and said "i'd have to clear that with the boyfriend" in a jovial manner (which by the way is a very good line. i cant tell you how bad some girls are at rejection. i'd once had one girl tell me "im doing my hair!" to which my response was "for the rest of your life?!" :D) i said sorry i didnt know and she left.

of course if that was it i'd be grand. i'd developed a real mental block over this girl so even though i was shot down i felt good knowing next time im in the same situation ive got what it takes to ask the woman out. i was really getting worried that if i found someone that makes me feel that good and couldnt ask her out what chance have i got of real happieness so even though it didnt work out im glad i know .even my mates were in shock i'd done it.
    being my lovelife however que the girl coming back with her mate 10min later (something she's never done) sitting in a totally differnt place and throwing coy looks at me for the rest of the night .

so i guess its not a total loss and im still in with a chance. the problem is LAST time i saw her she was single and i cant help thinking ive wasted so much time and if i asked her out back then i'd be laughing now.

all in all the whole thing feels like a really bad richard curtis film :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rb_ie wrote: »

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd say being an arrogant dick in school is probably my biggest regret.
    My life wold be a lot different if I had just kept my mouth shut, paid attention and not gotten thrown out as soon as I turned 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Princess J

getting a 40k payout from selling a house I owned with my ex husband and allowing my then boyfriend to help me blow it in a year instead of investing it somehow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Not acting like a tourist and doing 'tourist stuff' when living in a foreign country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Two relationships, one in particular that I changed a lot about myself for, looking back now I was very stupid to change like that for someone that didn't love me enough the way I was. But you have to kiss a few frogs before Prince Charming comes along so c'est la vie.

Don't really regret much else....everything seems to have happened for a reason, even if it didn't feel like it at the time.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Two relationships, one in particular that I changed a lot about myself for, looking back now I was very stupid to change like that for someone that didn't love me enough the way I was. But you have to kiss a few frogs before Prince Charming comes along so c'est la vie.

Don't really regret much else....everything seems to have happened for a reason, even if it didn't feel like it at the time.

Also a few willeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I should have done the year down under when my mates went. Have been to Australia holidays twice and going again soon but would love to do it for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not doing any work or study for my Leaving Cert. I could have got 600 easy.

Not getting the number of a girl I secretly loved for years, after randomly meeting her years later while going to do some work in Belfast. Every time I look back at that moment I want to scream at the stupidity.

Getting a job before I went to College. Worst thing anybody can ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dublinlawyer

1. Getting too stressed in my Leaving Cert such that I underperformed. Still did college and have a good career (I got 530 when I was heading for 640). I'm not sure you can regret something that isn't actually your fault but Im sorry it happened.
    2. Giving up rugby when I was 14. I was on the A's at the time but I decided it was taking up too much time. Not a good move.

I dream about these things all the time. In fact most of my important dreams revolve around these 2 things. Amazing cause Im in my early 30s now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Can I have three????
      Not going travelling all over the world when I was younger and didn't have the commitments I have now
    • Not bothering to think seriously about saving up to buy a house. If I had, I'd have my own place now and I'd have bought it before the market went really nuts. I'm fed up renting and can't wait for this bubble to burst so I can move out :cool:
    • Killing off the chances of a relationship with a really nice guy before things got going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

1. Getting too stressed in my Leaving Cert such that I underperformed. Still did college and have a good career (I got 530 when I was heading for 640). .
    How can you get 640 when the max is 600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Most certainly the time I slandered my teacher on a certain social network through my own idiocy and retarded ego. 2 days suspension. Certainly not worth the embarrasment and shame of it, and I only realised how badly it must have hurt my teacher when I got in trouble, but she's crap with names and faces so when she passes me in corridor or if im unlucky enough to have her teach me, she won't know who I am.

Hey, you always have to take positives from your surroundings, please stop judging me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Well I have a few:
    • Listening to my Maths teacher (who died last year and im only out of School two years:eek:) advice and dropping down to ordinary level. Can remember the next Maths teacher I had telling me how I should be doing higher level. Didnt make the same mistake twice, was told by my Geography teacher that I should sit pass ended up with a B1 in higher level. :rolleyes:
      In Uni now doing Maths well above LC Higher Level standard.
    • Picking German in School.
    • Not studying in first year and trying to play catch up this year.
    • Quitting playing Soccer, Tennis, Gaelic Football and Hockey though got back into Soccer a few years later and got half decent was on the Freshers & Seniors teams last year. Then at the start of the year I got the flu was sick for about 4 weeks and never went back :mad: really miss it gonna go back next year.
    • Telling my Mother that I was going to join the Schools rugby team. She wouldnt let me join she thought I might get seriously hurt (ie paralyzed)
    • Not joining a soccer team because I didnt like someone who was on the team. :mad:
    • Was asked out by a girl who I fancied at the time and saying no because my mate was mad into her. Wouldnt go near her now but at the time I was really pissed off with myself.
    • Not believing a mate when he told me that this girl who was really goodlooking and a few years older then me that she fancied me.
    • Not going to them teenypop discos, would have loved to experienced them like I did go out when I was 15 to a heavy rock place (AOH for anyone from Dundalk) but was able to get drink but that isnt just the same.
    • Not taking a risk with some stuff.
    • Not being very social with my mates from School outside School until the last few years.
    • Not going off to Uni in Edinburgh when I got accepted there but the course there didnt offer me a internship while the one im doing does.
    • Not getting my full driving licence when I was 17, learned how to drive and got my provo but once I got that I stopped :mad:
    • Being lazy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

taking out a loan to buy a car last july coz i spend so much on cabs to work, spending most of the money on ehhhh nothing, having to buy a piece of crap car, which is sitting beside my house with a flat tyre, a dead battery, no dash lights and a dodgy clutch. omg, did i f*ck myself over or what?! now i'm stuck paying for the car, the insurance, the tax AND the cabs - thats a whole lot for student!!! :( now i have to work like thirty + hours a week and do thirty hours in college... groan

• Keeping my head under a rock for so many years - I missed out on all those fun things people tend to do in their teenage years
    • Being too lazy
    • Letting depression get the better of me and ruining my LC
    • Thinking too much about what others think of me
    • Not listening to my family and going after a particular girl even though she was wrecking my head. I just couldn't see it myself

taking out a loan to buy a car last july coz i spend so much on cabs to work, spending most of the money on ehhhh nothing, having to buy a piece of crap car, which is sitting beside my house with a flat tyre, a dead battery, no dash lights and a dodgy clutch. omg, did i f*ck myself over or what?! now i'm stuck paying for the car, the insurance, the tax AND the cabs - thats a whole lot for student!!! :( now i have to work like thirty + hours a week and do thirty hours in college... groan

AHAHAHAH declare the thing off the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Starting smoking - now stopped, thankfully, but only after almost seventeen years of smelly stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

NO REGRETS!!!

the way I see it everything i've done in life, whether I failed or succeeded has made me the person I am today... and i'm AWESOME!!! So i wouldn't change a thing.

Someone once said:

"As we grow old, we tend to regret the things we haven’t done rather than the things we have"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

jdivision wrote: »

As far as I know the max is technically 1200 points.

600 with 6 higher level subjects at A1 and another 600 that can be gotten from an art portfolio, only really used when trying to get into an art type course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Princess J

L31mr0d wrote: »
    NO REGRETS!!!

the way I see it everything i've done in life, whether I failed or succeeded has made me the person I am today... and i'm AWESOME!!! So i wouldn't change a thing.

Someone once said:

"As we grow old, we tend to regret the things we haven’t done rather than the things we have"

I totally agree with this! Even tho I do have regrets, they are not many and I realise that everything I've done or experienceed has made me who I am now and I think I'm a fairly decent person :D
    Only thing I would say is, contrary to the quote above - I would rather regret things I have done than things I haven't. For example, on my death bed I'd rather be lying there thinking "damn I wish I didn't break my leg horse riding" than thinking "Damn I wish I'd tried horse riding!"

Princess J wrote: »
    I totally agree with this! Even tho I do have regrets, they are not many and I realise that everything I've done or experienceed has made me who I am now and I think I'm a fairly decent person :D
    Only thing I would say is, contrary to the quote above - I would rather regret things I have done than things I haven't. For example, on my death bed I'd rather be lying there thinking "damn I wish I didn't break my leg horse riding" than thinking "Damn I wish I'd tried horse riding!"

Now when you say horse riding.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dublinlawyer

jdivision wrote: »

Showing my age here. Bonus points for Maths in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Jumping into a relationship straight after ending a v long term one. I don't regret it, as I have learned from it, but is was still a v big mistake to have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

1. Telling my Grandfather to FCUK OFF a couple of days before he passed away
    2.Buying 2 Flamingo hats for £20 a pop in 1991
    3.Spoiling a romantic moment by telling the girl in question twas like a scene from the diner in Home and Away
    4.Cycling to the Gym the day I was knocked down
    5.Breaking it off with several girls for several unfathomable reasons that wouldn't stand up in a Kangaroo Court

• Advertisement
Advertisement