Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Really enjoyed that. Running away from your partner with a bigger herb, inventory juggling, and the infinity armour made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    nope.

You do realise that it is our national flag? Seriously if you don't think they are Irish i would be slightly worried about your perception of who a Irishman is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Stev_o wrote: »
    You do realise that it is our national flag? Seriously if you don't think they are Irish i would be slightly worried about your perception of who a Irishman is.

maybe he's from the *cork republic* and your not a true irishman unless you got a cork accent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

lol nothing about their videos that I've seen indicate them being irish or in Ireland. So theres an Irish flag on a profile page. Some sites display a UK or US flag for me, doesn't mean I'm from either. Anyway if they are irish, from what I've seen, they're trying very hard not to be seen as irish lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

lol nothing about their videos that I've seen indicate them being irish or in Ireland. So theres an Irish flag on a profile page. Some sites display a UK or US flag for me, doesn't mean I'm from either. Anyway if they are irish, from what I've seen, they're trying very hard not to be seen as irish lol

Bottomline you don't know? Did you not see the flag the first time or something?

It does seem like a reasonable assumption to make.

Anyway, wgas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Agreed with everything said in this week's review, so from that perspective it was a good review - but just didn't find it funny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Don't forget the Jill Sandwich

Here's the original:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

noodler wrote: »
    Bottomline you don't know? Did you not see the flag the first time or something?

It does seem like a reasonable assumption to make.

Anyway, wgas?

Guy links to a video saying these irish lads are gas and the video contains no irish lads. There was no flag. That is all.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Here's the original:

****in gas, me and my mates have been doing impressions of all the **** barry says in that vid for years, just from memories of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

FruitLover wrote: »

i don't get it.

also i was ready for a killer ending to the 50 cent review based on the comments above. All we got was a South Park rip. I fell off my seat when Garrison said it, the Escapist got barely a smile - fresh jokes please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

halo wars

stupid no flash for x64 IE8.

/goes to wait for opera10 to load video

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

kaimera wrote: »
    halo wars

Haha, nice april fools video. Both reviews are good (even the third one at the end ;))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What arbitrary silliness - I want a t-shirt with that slogan.

Loved the rant at the end of the HW review. Makes me not want to play it. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pixelburp wrote: »
    Haha, nice april fools video. Both reviews are good (even the third one at the end ;))

Pretty good one alright this week. lol'd at his rant at the end.

Yeah, although in fairness, comparing X-Blades to God of War is bound to make it look absolutely rubbish. It's basically a weaker DMC4. Worth a rent if you like brawlers as its pretty short, and for trophy and achievement whores it's pretty easy to get all of them.

Halo Wars, never had any inclination to play it. I'm exactly the same as him though when it comes to RTS's, which is probably why I'm so bad at them. I'll just build the largest, slowest tank over and over again and march them across the map. Works against the CPU most of the time, but I get absolutely trounced in online. I'd also group the genre with RPG as you need a lot of patience for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

kaimera wrote: »
    halo wars

On Win7/Vista x64 you can run IE in 32-bit mode and then you get flash :)

*cough*firefox*cough*

Stephen wrote: »
    On Win7/Vista x64 you can run IE in 32-bit mode and then you get flash :)

*cough*firefox*cough*
    but i dont want 32bit IE :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He is wrong about one thing, Unskippable is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

^ If they did any game's I've played it might be better, never heard of most of the ones they've done.
    Also it's basically MST3K for cutscenes.

The Imp at the end of this one was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BopNiblets wrote:
    Also it's basically MST3K for cutscenes.
    You're saying that like it's a bad thing.

First handheld game review in a long time.... GTA Chinatown Wars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He is wrong about one thing, Unskippable is ****.

You sir, are a heathen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You sir, are a heathen.

It's ****. These guys do what unskippable does but do it better without even trying.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23887
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21739

Seanbaby is a genius and he doesn't even realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

It's ****. These guys do what unskippable does but do it better without even trying.

Have to disagree. I watched all their videos after the Ben went on the show with them and I thought they were quite funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My problem with Unskippable is that the two or three I've watched have featured cutscenes that aren't 'funny' bad, merely extremely dull. Mystery Science Theatre at least ripped apart films that were indeed hilariously dreadful (and do link me if there is any great unskippable ones - I've only seen Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean), and hence the only way I could watch Manos: The Hands of Fate in its entirety was to listen to a couple of playful robots commenting on the nonsense.

Weak Zero Punctuation though - I do love Chinatown Wars, but while some of his criticisms were valid ones, he was trying a bit too hard. It still stands - he is at his best when dismantling bad games. He isn't quite so funny when he tries to criticise the good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Weak Zero Punctuation though - I do love Chinatown Wars, but while some of his criticisms were valid ones, he was trying a bit too hard. It still stands - he is at his best when dismantling bad games. He isn't quite so funny when he tries to criticise the good ones.

exactly what I thought after watching it.

I even prefer it when he reviews games I've never played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

My problem with Unskippable is that the two or three I've watched have featured cutscenes that aren't 'funny' bad, merely extremely dull. Mystery Science Theatre at least ripped apart films that were indeed hilariously dreadful (and do link me if there is any great unskippable ones - I've only seen Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean)

I think that Dirge of Cerberus is probably their best.

I think that Dirge of Cerberus is probably their best.

That was their best? That was as funny as abortion footage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's really not very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I think you have that post backwards.

• Advertisement

Madworld on the Wii. Pretty poor, I laughed once....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

HAWX

^^ post fail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Good one this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The spoilers at the end were great. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was a little bored when he was talking highly about it, until he started ripping into Tom Clancy :pac:

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Best ending in a long time!

Have this on the HDD but haven't gotten round to it yet. Is the review really spolerific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

noodler wrote: »
    Have this on the HDD but haven't gotten round to it yet. Is the review really spolerific?

Its fairly spoilerific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Must be where this seasons 24 got its idea ! or vice versa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

a classic

Valkyria Chronicles.

Safe to say, he didn't like it. :)
    I know nothing about the game, but it sounds terrible from that review.

The general consensus is that its a very good game, so Yahtzee won't be on Sega's christmas card list this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

its not working for me but i await Retro and Noodler into this thread.

/popcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Valkyria Chronicles is the only good game exclusive to the PS3, I am very much :( by his review but meh

edit: he didnt like the plot/characters urgo a big element of whats likable about the game goes out the window, sort of expected that.

wait til retro gets the news

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah Retro won't like this one bit at all....probably come on ranting about how he overlooked the mature story or something!

its not working for me but i await Retro and Noodler into this thread.

/popcorn

Facepalm. Well thats why you shouldn't take the skinny little hick seriously.

Where do I begin? One, you can update guns many ways, tere are 3 types of every type of gun, therefore it can't be automatic because you have to decide which gun design you are going to upgrade. Hell, why not make all weapon buying in RPGs automatic whilst were at it?

Autosave huh? Wah-wah game was hard, I didn't have the foresight to save mid mission IN A TURN BASED GAME! and so died. Someone must be to blame and its not me so blame the game.

He complains about the enemy attacking when its your go but your own team are capable of sniping fire when its the CPU's turn. No mention of the gorgeous, and fairly unique, visuals and outstanding music either.

It is not portrayed as a good VS evil conflict-I want to say moreon this but I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't finished it.

Awful review as is his style these days. Looking for cheap hits and won't get them by being nice. Its times like these I am pleased we have metacritic so people can get some kind of broader consensus so that the unfortunate ( Mr E) don't miss out on a truly outstanding game because of a impatient man with no taste who makes a living trying to shock.

Okay I am done, I'm tagging you in Retro.

But Yahtzee's not meant to be a games critic, I thought that was clear ages ago. He's a games equivalent of someone like Charlie Brooker; the "last angry man" who makes cranky broadsides whilst linking in some broader point about the medium he loves / hates. Ok, this weeks was poor, but I suspect that's more because he's stuck in the weekly routine of having to review a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thing is ZP's a biased gamer. He likes FPS's, platformers and easy to play games with little to no learning curve. He's going to hate WRPG, JRPG, MMORPG, RTS... etc, its a given.

I'd be in the same boat as ZP tbh, I hate RPG's, I play video games for story as much as I go to have a kick around to listen to the goalie tell me about his weekend.

In saying that, I'll give VC a go, once my rental copy arrives, as I like turn based strategy, the demo didn't impress, but then I suppose playing 1 mission of X-Com wouldn't give you the sense of the overall game either

• Advertisement
Advertisement