Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Testify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I don't know how people can feel strongly about Joss Whedon one way or the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I don't get it either, even after many people have tried to rationalise it for me; to me, Whedon's a scripter who can write some very snappy, quotable dialogue and memorable characters. He has produced some competent, decent material (Firefly), but has also done some horrendous garbage (Alien Resurrection). I suppose the key factor is that he writes for the geek demographic first and foremost so it's only natural that his work garners high emotions, geeks don't know the middle-ground. Me? I just feel conflicted; I either want to shake his hand for Firefly, or stove his head in for Alien 4 :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get it either, even after many people have tried to rationalise it for me; to me, Whedon's a scripter who can write some very snappy, quotable dialogue and memorable characters. He has produced some competent, decent material (Firefly), but has also done some horrendous garbage (Alien Resurrection). I suppose the key factor is that he writes for the geek demographic first and foremost so it's only natural that his work garners high emotions, geeks don't know the middle-ground. Me? I just feel conflicted; I either want to shake his hand for Firefly, or stove his head in for Alien 4 :D

YOU ARE WRONG STOP BEING WRONG.
    you are either wrong or simple. choose one. i dont care if you dont like it. facts are facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The depth of Joss Whedon hate has only come about as a result of the pants-wetting adoration he recieves from 90% of the internet. Try saying that something like Battlestar Galactica is good and you will be told that it's just a poor mans firefly. His fanbase are incredibly annoying, always whining about how Firefly was cancelled after one season. Guess why? Because it didn't get the ****ing viewers!

Also there is no excuse for supporting dollhouse. It's a creepy old mans fantasy masquerading as feminism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Try saying that something like Battlestar Galactica is good and you will be told that it's just a poor mans firefly.

You know, you could kill a man for saying that and not a jury in the world would convict you. Not even texas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jazzy wrote: »
    YOU ARE WRONG STOP BEING WRONG.
    you are either wrong or simple. choose one. i dont care if you dont like it. facts are facts
    Assuming you're not pretending to be an angry-net-kid ... :p

I enjoyed Firely, I thought it could funny and had some good characters, even if it was a bit too knowing sometimes. So what, it's not like Whedon wrote every episode anyway. It's just a TV series, get over it guys, it's easy enough to ignore the Whedonites (you avoid their forum *puke* for one).
    *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The depth of Joss Whedon hate has only come about as a result of the pants-wetting adoration he recieves from 90% of the internet. Try saying that something like Battlestar Galactica is good and you will be told that it's just a poor mans firefly. His fanbase are incredibly annoying, always whining about how Firefly was cancelled after one season. Guess why? Because it didn't get the ****ing viewers!

Also there is no excuse for supporting dollhouse. It's a creepy old mans fantasy masquerading as feminism.

Haven't tried Dollhouse yet.
    You know, you could kill a man for saying that and not a jury in the world would convict you. Not even texas.

True, I really enjoyed Firefly and mayeb it would have went on to better things but BSG is the best TV show I have ever seen.
    Assuming you're not pretending to be an angry-net-kid ... :p

I enjoyed Firely, I thought it could funny and had some good characters, even if it was a bit too knowing sometimes. So what, it's not like Whedon wrote every episode anyway. It's just a TV series, get over it guys, it's easy enough to ignore the Whedonites (you avoid their forum *puke* for one).
    *shrug*

I didn't like Buffy, Angel or any of that other crap aimed at pre-teen girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Wii Sports Resort is probably his funniest in ages. He's still got it (whatever it is...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i agree with him that the whole motion control is pointless until they work out some way to create a genuine feedback to your motion.

oh and direct link ftw http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/844-Wii-Sports-Resort

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

best one in ages, got tears in my eyes the whole way through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

He's the man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Great one today. I loved the tiny pause before he said fruit at the end, not really sure why though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Great one today. I loved the tiny pause before he said fruit at the end, not really sure why though.
    It's called... "timing". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it, very funny. Best in a long time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He remains a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's called... "timing". ;)

Well yes I know that, I mean I just don't know why such a small detail amused me as much as it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

That was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I had never heard of Zero Punctuation until I accidentally came across this thread.

Thank you very, very much, its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I came across Yahtzee's reviews a few months ago and they're absolutely hilarious, especially his simple but effective animations. Kinda like South Park I guess in that regard...

But do you ever feel that his extreme sense of humour gets in the way of actually reviewing a game properly? I wouldn't trust them too much.. and for all his complaining The Art of Theft is pretty crappy

This week: The Conduit, and guess what? He's hates it!

*monocle falls off*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/869-The-Conduit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

This week: The Conduit, and guess what? He's hates it!

*monocle falls off*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/869-The-Conduit

He generally only mildly hates. This he hated beyond any hate I have seen him hate before.

yahtzee is right about everything whether you like it or not. FACT

Jumpy wrote: »
    He generally only mildly hates. This he hated beyond any hate I have seen him hate before.
    Well he does hate the Wii something special all right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy wrote: »
    yahtzee is right about everything whether you like it or not. FACT

He was wrong about Valkyria Chronicles. Ridiculously wrong! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

in the conduit vid,who is the guy that appears at 35 seconds? he appears in most of the reviews lately and i havent got a clue who he is?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He was wrong about Valkyria Chronicles. Ridiculously wrong! :(

joss whedon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok he was right about joss whedon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Burgo wrote: »
    in the conduit vid,who is the guy that appears at 35 seconds? he appears in most of the reviews lately and i havent got a clue who he is?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61166869&postcount=891

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I just watched the Red Faction: Guerilla review on lunch today.

That bit where he compared himself to Conan getting revenge because he saved up for a PS2 as a young lad and wasted money on the first game was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bit of a retro review today...
    Silent Hill 2

Doofy the doofus!

Best one in a while, laughed out loud a few times.

great coincidence with our topic on game narrative :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Mr E wrote: »
    Bit of a retro review today...
    Silent Hill 2

SH2 & 3 were awesome. Haven't experienced anything like it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

efla wrote: »
    SH2 & 3 were awesome. Haven't experienced anything like it since.

Nice to agree with him for once, would have enjoyed it even more hd the storyline not been ruined by a certain retr0ga....player, Retr0player.

Are the other silent Hills even worth my time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Big man with a face made of trigonometry is the best ever description of pyramid head :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

noodler wrote: »
    Nice to agree with him for once, would have enjoyed it even more hd the storyline not been ruined by a certain retr0ga....player, Retr0player.

Are the other silent Hills even worth my time?

Not really... The Room was ok, but not of the same standard in terms of atmosphere.

3 is my personal favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yay, I'm not the only one who remembers Lost Vikings.

• Advertisement

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/901-Tales-of-Monkey-Island

oh dear I feel bad that i laughed at the protestants joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I was happily surprised to hear him mention the Rose of Tralee :D

(not that I'm a fan...)

is there anything yahtzee cant do?

Give a fair review of valkyria chronicles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Give a fair review of valkyria chronicles :(

Oh dear god its been weeks, get over it! (I realise its close to your heart)

Just like with the holocaust:

'Never forget!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wolfenstein this week - in Limerick form!

He sure gave that game lots of scorn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But the review was the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

humanji wrote: »
    But the review was the best!
    he definatly put it to the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement