Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

kaimera wrote: »
    DA: O this week

lol Think he got it spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I find it odd that he played the console version though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »
    I find it odd that he played the console version though.
    That's because for all his bluster about console fratboys, I think Yahtzee's a console gamer at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's because for all his bluster about console fratboys, I think Yahtzee's a console gamer at heart.
    TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that all the vids seem to be rehashed and the quality has been lowered. I'm not talking of content quality...but audio/video quality ?

The sound is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

he didnt hate it as much as I thought he would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    he didnt hate it as much as I thought he would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Local Game Retailer:

Ask about our 'preowned games' scam

Nice one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

As someones who's interested in games for their single player elements, i wholeheartedly agree with everything he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm bored with this guy.

Its the sort of thing you'll enjoy for 3 videos, then you just get the whole formula. The DC video and some of the other live stuff he did really cements the idea that he is just reading a funny script.

Bar the whole comedy element, I rarely find his reviews to be very good either, his like and dislikes are just massively polarised opinions, the sort you get on a teenagers game forum full of flaming. He loves psyconauts omg it am best he hates some popular game, oh arr blame the plebs.

Maybe thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm bored with this guy.

Its the sort of thing you'll enjoy for 3 videos, then you just get the whole formula. The DC video and some of the other live stuff he did really cements the idea that he is just reading a funny script.

Bar the whole comedy element, I rarely find his reviews to be very good either, his like and dislikes are just massively polarised opinions, the sort you get on a teenagers game forum full of flaming. He loves psyconauts omg it am best he hates some popular game, oh arr blame the plebs.

Maybe thats just me.

Nah, it's not just you. Now and then he has some good one liners but for the most part his routine gets old very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm bored with this guy.

Maybe thats just me.

i said that 65 pages ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yeah but we're not listening to you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Any game reviewer with a niche is going to get old eventually. I'm amazed he is still drawing in the audiences even now.

Problem with his reviews, in comparison to someone like the AVGN, is that there is no actual footage of the game in the review. It ends up being 5 minutes of watching the same regurgitated drawings on a yellow background each week. He should also stick to reviewing bad games, or cult hits that the majority disliked.

His reviews have gone from: "it's funny 'cause its true" to being "yes, that's what everyone is saying about the game"

His opinions usually mirror mine, it's just the humour in his videos is growing stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Assassin's Creed II this week. Chaps got one hell of a cold at the moment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

The Jurrassic Park reference was quite funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Assassin's Creed II this week. Chaps got one hell of a cold at the moment ;)

I fully thought it was a different person

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed, as I did I! I listened to it again because people were saying it was actually Yahtzee & not some stand-in.

• Advertisement

Oh, so it's not clear by what I said (stupid winky emoticon), I totally agree, it's a different guy.

And what amazes me, is that in the comments, everyone is going on about "aww he got a new mic.. don't like the new sound he has a cold.. bla bla" until the sixtieth post, when someone suggests it's not him.

Bloody hell. 60 posts. It's clearly not him.

Well some of the intonations & expressions sounded like a muffled version of him, but then I guess all those Englishers all sound the same to me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have said it was him up until the point where he says "gwinding" with a obvious speech impediment.

Well this is what I think. It's not a new mic, he doesn't have a cold. Now, if he is purpously obfuscating his voice, I'll accept that, and admit that he's very good at it. But on the assumption that the guy in the video is speaking "normally" it's not him. Another dude with a british accent. At first I thought it was probably one of the guys from the Game Damage thing, but I'd say it's more likely to be his brother or something. Yahtze writes the script, and got someone else to read it.

No idea why though :confused:

Double bill this week, L4D2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Some decent lines I reckon, I particularly liked precision jumping in a tumble dryer full of cricket balls.

Also, looks like I was totally wrong last week, apparently it was him. Now I feel like an idiot.

to answer his question at the end.

bowser cause he can set the tank on fire.

I am sad that i thought about that reasonable...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he was talking about new super mario bros on the DS he would be right but the Wii game is excellent, full of new ideas and probably as good as mario 3 and super mario world.

Bowser keeps coming back from the dead, one way or another. How many times has he been dunked in the lava? He shrugs it off. That's not the same tank over and over..

Also, doesn't Bowser just have to breath fire on the tank? Game over man, game over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    and probably as good as mario 3 and super mario world.
    Now thats a bold statement. Guess i'll have to go try it then.

new mario bros game gets thumbs up for me for one reason only
    mario actually beats the last boss by doing plumber's work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he was talking about new super mario bros on the DS he would be right but the Wii game is excellent, full of new ideas and probably as good as mario 3 and super mario world.

big claim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trust me, it really is damn good. I wrote a review of the game here:

http://www.game.ie/Wii/newsupermariobroswii/Review.aspx

Even if you rate it below Mario 3 it's still a top class platformer and deserves to be up there with Mario 3 and Mario World unlike the DS game.

Ive given up on Yahtzee now

He's no longer interesting or funny.

I doubt he even played L4D2, prob just went on the generic press of the game.
    "more like an expansion" ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Ive given up on Yahtzee now

He's no longer interesting or funny.

Considering he says he never plays the multiplayer element of games, I'm not sure there would be much of l4d2 left to review.

Seifer wrote: »
    Considering he says he never plays the multiplayer element of games, I'm not sure there would be much of l4d2 left to review.

I thought he only never plays the competitive multiplayer, that co-op he is fine with? (he played MW2 co-op)

SeantheMan wrote: »

In fairness, Left 4 Dead has possibly one of the slightest & narrowest concepts in any AAA gaming title; the sequel does nothing but demonstrate that ably.

I thought he only never plays the competitive multiplayer, that co-op he is fine with? (he played MW2 co-op)

I presumed he was split screening it up in console land or something.

Leaving out versus and scavenger is still 50% of the game though.

Seifer wrote: »
    Leaving out versus and scavenger is still 50% of the game though.

He also played the Oz version so he only probably reviewed 10% of the game :pac:. Seriously the glory of wielding the chainsaw for the first time and seeing my vision go red with blood splatter and seeing the pile of dead zombies and entrails build beneath me brought a tear to my eye from pure joy. I can't imagine how gay that would look in the Oz version, does it even have the chainsaw?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1321-Demons-Souls

I actually liked this week's the bit about the messages made me chuckle...probably helps that I never played the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very funny review this week - especially the bit about that mother****ing ******* ****munching dragon bastard.

Nice, he reviewed the first 1% of the game. He didn't even make it to the best boss in the game which happens to be the second one in the first area :confused:

Oddly, the game quickly becomes easier after the first area. The game itself isn't difficult, it just has a very steep initial learning curve (see cliffs of moher). The tutorial is rubbish and really only serves as a reason to kill you. imo the very first level 1.1 is the hardest in the game. You have no options for weapons, no ranged weapons and everything about you is at its lowest value. For example area 1.1 is probably the only point in the whole game where you HAVE to dodge and parry. After that you get some ranged weapons, magic and crossbows to take out enemies from a distance.

Loved the bit in the review about the tunnel though. It is a real kick in the teeth when you realise the pack of dogs down there for the first time. Trying to dodge the fire breathing Dragons is actually easier than killing those dogs at the start :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmmm, am I the only one who had absolutely never heard of this game until that video? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Hmmm, am I the only one who had absolutely never heard of this game until that video? :confused:

Not alone. Although I don't exactly follow PS games with any major interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Don't let retr0 hear you guys...

Funny video this week.

Seems he only played it for an hour or two before calling it **** for the sole reason that it's too hard and missing out on the vast majority of the game and all the features that make it so unique.

I just hope nobody is put off the game by this review because it's a strong contender for best game this year. Check out all the reviews and the mega thread on the PS forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The only place I've heard about Demon's Souls is on here, and it seems to be purely positive comments, If i had a ps3 Id defiantly give it a go OR if they brought it out on PC i would be extremely happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To be honest I am just as sick of reviewers and fellow gamers bigging up a game when they hav only played 20% of it as I am am with him for being dismissive.

Went back to the game last night - trying to kill the 5-1 boss, got close with fire on my blade and he manages (randomly - I can't quite see it coming) to kill me in one shot somehow.

It is an annoying game - can't see myself playing it much over Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Saboteur

Best one in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Some major butthurt in that comment section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Crap one.

Scraping the barrel for hits with the national slurs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Jilm wrote: »
    Saboteur

Best one in ages.

Yawntzee is an ass for spoilers, does he spoil this game before I watch?

Advertisement