Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yawntzee is an ass for spoilers, does he spoil this game before I watch?

The Nazis win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

noodler wrote: »
    The Nazis win.

Would make a change, but does the video as usual contain plot spoilers?

I might get this game and would prefer not to know too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Crap one.

Scraping the barrel for hits with the national slurs too.
    Yahtzee, using national slurs? Noooooo, say it ain't so. It's all fun & games until he picks on us, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

He is right though, when I hear a game is about fighting Nazis during WWII I'm almost immediately turned off it.

Although, a game where I play as the Bear Jew might be interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Some major butthurt in that comment section.

the comment section makes me head hurt on both sides

those offended, consider he ripped into both the french and the english just before he took a swing at the irish

Also my understanding is nothing yahtzee says can be be any worse then what the actual game does in presenting an irish character anyway

(though I've never heard anyone call temple bar a district...)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yahtzee, using national slurs? Noooooo, say it ain't so. It's all fun & games until he picks on us, eh?

Desperation is desperation no matter who is being picked on.

Its been quite a while since any of his reviews could be described as fun and games by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the comment section makes me head hurt on both sides

those offended, consider he ripped into both the french and the english just before he took a swing at the irish

Also my understanding is nothing yahtzee says can be be any worse then what the actual game does in presenting an irish character anyway

(though I've never heard anyone call temple bar a district...)

LOL that'd be one of those Americans who think they're Irish. I don't mind the 'Irish are drunks' jokes. But he really did show his English side with the "Irish people are stupid" jab that the English have been coming out with since we were trying for home rule.

Although I doubt he's aware of the origins..... Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But he really did show his English side with the "Irish people are stupid" jab that the English have been coming out with since we were trying for home rule.

Yes but it's common. I've even heard Stephen Fry come out with things like that about the Irish, he also has a lot of bad things to say about the french. The Irish hate on themselves and the British hate on the Irish... it's the way of the world. Oh and everybody hates the French :pac:

Although, anyone getting annoyed over that review who's Irish is just proving Yahtzee right tbh ;)

L31mr0d wrote: »

Although, anyone getting annoyed over that review who's Irish is just proving Yahtzee right tbh ;)

How on earth do you work that one out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Desperation is desperation no matter who is being picked on.
    Its been quite a while since any of his reviews could be described as fun and games by the way.

Oh I agree that his reviews have been steadily getting worse, but to get yourself into a lather because he (finally) slagged off the Irish is a bit rich. For goodness sake, he once spent an entire podcast using the 'n' word to refer to black people, I think we can take some generic Irish insults on the chin.

Guinness & shamrocks? Please. Some smoking ban jokes or jokes about Lisbon would be clever, this was just lazy generic slags you can easily ignore.
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    LOL that'd be one of those Americans who think they're Irish. I don't mind the 'Irish are drunks' jokes. But he really did show his English side with the "Irish people are stupid" jab that the English have been coming out with since we were trying for home rule.

He's English; they slag off everyone. I take it you don't watch Top Gear then? They take a guilty pleasure in mildly racist jokes about their neighbours :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah, tbf there is a history with that slur which just isn't shared by 'French people like cheese' and 'Americans are obese'.
    Its just not the same thing

Yeah, tbf there is a history with that slur which just isn't shared by 'French people like cheese' and 'Americans are obese'.
    Its just not the same thing
    Yes it is; it's just we're getting uppity because we got used to generic insults about Americans, the French, women (let's try not to forget there's a lot of vulgar humour aimed at women; I have in the past wondered how many female fans his video has) & black people. His continuous comments about Americans is racist, we just choose to pretend it's all in good fun & secretly admit they're a fair target.

Oh noes, he made jokes about Guinness and stupid Irish people. My mighty heart is breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Baaaaaaaaaaaaw.

Grow up. Nobody outside of this little rock cares, and most of the folks ON this little rock don't give a rat's ass either. If you're going to be offended by jokes about Guinness and shamrocks, why are you using the internet?

Oh I agree that his reviews have been steadily getting worse, but to get yourself into a lather because he (finally) slagged off the Irish is a bit rich. For goodness sake, he once spent an entire podcast using the 'n' word to refer to black people, I think we can take some generic Irish insults on the chin.

Guinness & shamrocks? Please. Some smoking ban jokes or jokes about Lisbon would be clever, this was just lazy generic slags you can easily ignore.

He's English; they slag off everyone. I take it you don't watch Top Gear then? They take a guilty pleasure in mildly racist jokes about their neighbours

Why are you making things up? Why on earth have you made up a scenario where I have said I am offended?

What I actually said was that it was another poor quality review with a few national slurs to try and garner hits.

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about I am afraid.

Why are you making things up? Why on earth have you made up a scenario where I have said I am offended?

What I actually said was that it was another poor quality review with a few national slurs to try and garner hits.

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about I am afraid.

I may have quoted you, but don't assume that my reply is solely directed at you either, maybe I should have made that clearer. There's a bit of huff taken here, and a lot more on the comments page, but it seems like a case of it being all fair game until it's our ethnicity jumped on. *shrug*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1420-Bayonetta
    latest one is bayonetta.

still the voice of reason in game land :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmm.... forgot about ZP. Have some catching up to do !!

Since the last post in this thread:

Awards for 2009
    Torchlight
    Darksiders

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Very entertaining this week. His attempt to explain the plot (and that of pacman) was great.

The darksiders review is the funniest one he has done for months (you'll find it funnier if you've played it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Haha, he's back on top form recently... Torchlight and Bayonetta were both spot on (despite me adoring both of them, he did hit the nail on the head)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

"God of War rip-off, God of War rip-off, God of War rip-off and... God of War."

The Darksiders review was pretty funny... "somebody started drawing him and never stopped."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Novelty has worn off his review's me at this stage :(

Agree with what was said re: him being better when you have played the games yourself.

GH & RB CHALLENGES YEAH!

the novelty has worn out though, lets be srs... i mean, its an opinion, if we dont take that seriously then the whole system breaks down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

JAZZY posts poop!

Review that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Jazzy wrote: »
    i mean, its an opinion, if we dont take that seriously then the whole system breaks down
    Not really though, I mean why would you take him seriously?
    The videos are entertaining because of the style he does them in, the jokes he make and the funny pictures he creates.
    I agree that the format is getting tired now but I never watched it to see what he actually thought about a game, just for how he was going to make fun of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Plus I think as soon as he start putting up videos of himself he became pretentious and in love with the whole cahracter that he craeted.

Still highly entertaining though. His Dargon Age review is more positive.

Dark Void today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

like a glass of milk with a spider in it, towards the end it all goes horribly wrong

brilliant :D

Borderlands

Spoiler: He absolutely hated it.
    Shocker. :)

• Advertisement

Ugh another horrible review.

He can't be arsed trying the multiplayer elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I approve of that. Multiplayer isn't the be-all and end-all, and if games are going to have a single player element then when it's not up to scratch someone needs to call bullsh*t on it.

This week, Mass Effect 2. Without watching it yet, I'm going to go ahead and guess he doesn't like it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1461-Mass-Effect-2

Edit: Hmmm I'm not ... sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

This week, Mass Effect 2. Without watching it yet, I'm going to go ahead and guess he doesn't like it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1461-Mass-Effect-2

Edit: Hmmm I'm not ... sure.

Yeah he seemed to like it except for the surveying bit and that he played it on too easy a difficulty. Plus he wants boobs. :P

His reviews of good games are usually the least funny!

Dante's Inferno today.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mr E wrote: »
    Dante's Inferno today.....

I stopped watching about 2 minutes in and went back to work. He has become typecast and his reviews contain nothing original anymore. Same format, same moaning, little good to say, random insults thrown around. It was funny a long time ago, but you can start to enjoy and review games and still be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One could offer the same criticism of the games he's been reviewing :)

the man has high standards, and rightly so. he makes very good points about the industry and trends and he still makes good jokes. far wittier then a lot of comedians... but then again, the majority of comidians are complete sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Sometimes I think people don't realise that this is just one mans opinion and not the gospel of gaming. Yes he moans about nearly everything but that for the comedy factor; after all it is a lot easier to make fun of something. Besides we have enough of "official" console magazines telling us every game is great so go out and buy it.

Anyway just because he doesn’t like something doesn't mean you should or that he's wrong, (or you) everyone after all, is different. If you want to see what a game is like before buying, well then rent it, play it in a mates house or just go read a large number of online costumer reviews and make your decision based on that. Ultimately, if you like a game, so what if no one else does that shouldn't and won’t affect your enjoyment of a game.

Finally if you don't like his reviews no one is holding a gun to your head, :pac: just stop watching the videos :pac:

P.S. - I actually like Zero Punctuation, but that after all is my own opinion :D

Crap for quite a while tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's easy to rip into games and take them apart for everything they do wrong but I find he is just ripping into games for the sake of it even if he enjoys them or not. If he had real talent he would give informative and honest reviews while still being funny. What he is doing at the moment is basically acting like Nelson from the simpsons by pointing a laughing and anyone can do that.

• Advertisement

I think it's fair to say that Yahtzee's reviews have lasted far longer than anyone could have predicted. I never honestly felt it was the kind of format you could run with ad nauseum. It's beginning to show all right, the more recent videos have been samey.

I do wonder if Yahtzee knows this himself & has any intentions of moving on. Perhaps he's tied into a contract with The Escapist.

hes a cynic. simple as that really. an equal opportunity cynic who will take apart everything.

who gives a f**k if he never says anything good about the games he plays? you really come to him for his fair and equal criticism in the hopes of getting insight as to how good a game is? or do you go to him because he takes the piss out of all the crappy cliches in games nowadays and shows a lot of things for what they are - copy and pasted shells of games with a different skin on them. oh fiddle te de, he slags everything and doesnt say that game you liked was good. jesus, talk about missing the point. fact is, yahtzee has depth and a lot of talent behind his reviews. he is consistantly funny and has far more wit then he is given credit for. watch his duke nukem forever review again and tell me the man doesnt have talent.
    the fact that he rips on the developers and ridicules their thought process while making a game is great, as most developers are basically rip off merchants who couldnt really give a sh1t as long as the game they make gets $$$. this weeks review summed that up perfectly - Dantes Inferno. a game marketed to f**k but is ultimately a waste of money as you might as well wait for God Of War 3. a game that rips off so many different influences and has ultimately poor gameplay (yeah ive played it... fukin boring as sh1t) and is as generic as they come in todays marketplace.

he is funny, he is talented and he is bang right about a lot of the points he makes about gaming in general. he also hates Joss Whedon :) know why? because he understands what real talent actually is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He's no Spoony experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He's no Spoony experiment.
    Dont think he is as funny either any more, seems alittle too keen in dressing up and using other crap.
    Still love his final fanstay review though.

I think AVGN still does great reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Spoony's a twat. That Dr. Insano shtick is getting old. I did enjoy his FFVIII playthrough though.

As for AVGN, I much prefer the videos where he isnt all just 'Hurr I'm angry at his crap game'. He can be really informative
    His Street Fighter 2010 review was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

As for AVGN, I much prefer the videos where he isnt all just 'Hurr I'm angry at his crap game'. He can be really informative
    His Street Fighter 2010 review was great.
    To be fair a lot of the games he has played cause nothing but anger :pac:

Bioshock 2 - now I know he's just trolling, because its a great game. He probably played it on Easy and lashed through it so he could write his 'review'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Spoony's a twat. That Dr. Insano shtick is getting old. I did enjoy his FFVIII playthrough though

Well there's the one minute I sat through of that I'll never get back. Possibly the least funny thing ever. He's singing gay over and over. It's a lot like playing MW2 with the headset on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mr E wrote: »
    - now I know he's just trolling, because its a great game. He probably played it on Easy and lashed through it so he could write his 'review'.

I actually completely agree with him for once and Bioshock 1 falls just behind Fallout 3 in my best xbox games list. I mean the story of Bioshock kicked ass. ****ing amazing. That twist. Who didn't play the game back again checking if everything wasn't perfect with the twist. This one was crap. Story was as bad as any other game. The characters weren't a patch on the ones from Bioshock 1.

Cohen (the artist guy) was the best NPC character of this generation of consoles but there was nothing like him in this. Sinclair was useless, Eleanor was useless, Lamb was OK but not a patch on Ryan. The only way I can compare it is it's like they did Muppet's Christmas Carol 2 and the title said Muppet's but they replaced every Muppet with a character from Sesame Street

Big Daddies WERE fast and flexible in the original.

He talks some poo. I am starting to hate him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement