Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Mmmm yeah, I got 100% trophies took 80Hours, but fúck getting 100% ingame, it's just not worth it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CombatCow wrote: »
    I got 100% trophies took 80Hours
    Well done for sticking with it, I just couldn't go on with it, I was bored to tears with it @ 40% and still a load of achievements to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Going from 60% to 75% was the hardest considering it takes an hour to do 1% :eek: .I think if I had of known that at the beginning I wouldn't of bothered to be honest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

was it just me or was there an awful lot of cat references in the last review :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I think he liked it. Kind of. Hard to tell these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If series so far were a stream of urine then Conviction would be the last drop that rolls down your leg

His last line is always hilarious :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've only played the demo but he's right about the lazy dumb controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Funny review. I haven't played Splinter Cell since the very first one but it sounds like they've really broken it.
    In the first one you could jump on any wall, anywhere to vault off it and now you have to wait to be told to press X? And you can insta melee kill anyone even if they've seen you and are shooting at you?
    Why the hell would you dumb down a game so much? It's not like it's aimed at kids.

People bored with Mr. Yahtzee? Here are the last few reviews. :)

Alan Wake
    Monster Hunter Tri
    Dead To Rights Retribution
    Nier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Enjoyed Alan Wake video he made fun of all the points I hate about horror games. Wish it was more regular that once a week though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I <3 Mr. Yahtzee. I've been going back over the older videos, still chuckle at his refusal to review Mario Kart.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Enjoyed Alan Wake video he made fun of all the points I hate about horror games. Wish it was more regular that once a week though.

Noooo it would totally ruin it if they did that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The entertainment value has long past with him for me, and not even worth watching as a review as I've long since played and finished the games he reviews in most cases.

Best was fallout 3, I went and got it on the strength of it. I had read other reviews and was tempted but when he starts a review by saying "yeah... it's pretty good"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Yahtzee doesnt review games, he just complains about them for 5 mins. its nice when he likes a game and finds it hard to complain about something. batman AA was one i thought he was struggling to complain about anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah I still watch his reviews on a weekly basis - it's a habit that at 5pm I fire up The Escapist in work & have a wee giggle.

But to be honest the gimmick is somewhat flat at this stage & it doesn't help either that I don't give a crap about many of the games he's reviewing: Alan Wake - Monster Hunter Tri - Dead To Rights Retribution - Nier, Ergh. It really does feel like games are just going through the motions at this stage, overproduced mediocre borefests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I more or less feel the same as previous posters. When you don't like a game he's the guy to go to, but just ripping on everything without seeming to put much effort into actually playing some games gets boring and predictable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes still great. need sum1 to take apart games on every level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Jazzy wrote: »
    hes still great. need sum1 to take apart games on every level
    I have to agree. I mean I loved BioShock 2, but I thought his review of it was brilliant. I wouldn't base the purchase of a game on one of his reviews, though, I use ING for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Growing quite sick of him myself, watched the monster hunter one last night and was quite unimpressed, so watched the DTR one thinking it would be an instance where he really shines (he's usually at his best when reviewing a bad game)
    Couldn't be bothered with the last two after that, and I don't think I'll be back again.

So long and thanks for the chuckles, Yahtzee....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Red Dead Redemption

He kind of liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ads? wtf!! I want my 6 seconds back :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

greem spleen submarine. I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeah, the novelty has worn off at this stage. It's rare now that I laugh during his reviews.

I much prefer to watch unskippable now, they have some great vids like the Deadly Premonition one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah, the novelty has worn off at this stage. It's rare now that I laugh during his reviews.

I much prefer to watch unskippable now, they have some great vids like the Deadly Premonition one.

I dunno... Each to their own i guess. Sounds like me and friend just playing any game. Except I usually laugh when i do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Grimebox wrote: »
    greem spleen submarine. I laughed.

And he got Purple Monkey Dishwasher in there as well. You gotta give him credit for that one. :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I still enjoy them. Sure the "LOL HE HATES EVERYTHING" factor has worn off them, but he's still good at what he does, and you can tell a good game if he doesn't spend the entire review murdering it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I laughed a good few times at that one, which I haven't done with many of his recently.

• Advertisement

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1871-Super-Mario-Galaxy-2

Pretty good.
    I thought it was funny when he was talking about "Cake."
    However in order to do so I believe yathzee had to punctuate his sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

It's like he saw into my mind and decided to spread my thoughts to the masses...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Meh. Not buying SMG2 as I got bored of SMG1. Just as he said, it's not really evolved much. I completed SMB64 and loved it. I completed SMS and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to SMG and it just felt old to me.

That's the thing that confuses me though. Every incarnation of Mario of the 2D kind never gets old no matter how many times they'll reboot it. The continuation of the 3D Mario has just slid downhill for me tbh. I don't see how SMG1 and 2 got such rave reviews :confused: Maybe it's just me getting older and relishing on nostalgia

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Every incarnation of Mario of the 2D kind never gets old no matter how many times they'll reboot it.

You can't improve perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought the review was great. Your argument is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Overheal wrote: »
    I thought the review was great. Your argument is invalid.

As did I... I was worried he was going to take a giant dump on it because of how Japanese it is but it was an excellent review!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SotC doesn't strike me as very Japanese, since it's quite original and the story isn't over-blown :p

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    SotC doesn't strike me as very Japanese, since it's quite original and the story isn't over-blown :p

It has an angsty protagonist to Jap it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a distinct lack of "...", whiny "why does stuff happen?" bullsh*t and swords as big as your horse. And it's not totally batsh*t insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It has an angsty protagonist to Jap it up.

Angsty is fine. It's when it's moany emo twat it turns into annoying Japanese bad writing territory. The Squall factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Any Escapist members here, incidentally? It was/is my forum of choice, but the quality of the discussions seems to have taken a nosedive circa. the MW2 release...

Ancient update, but ZP done Minecraft this week, and gave it two thumbs up :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ancient update, but ZP done Minecraft this week, and gave it two thumbs up :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

Just after I mention it to you. Coincidence - probably. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whoever recommended unskippable 6 months back can go die in a fire. It's just about the worst gaming 'comedy' on the internet and as funny as amputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whoever recommended unskippable 6 months back can go die in a fire. It's just about the worst gaming 'comedy' on the internet and as funny as amputation.

Amputation can be funny, in the right context...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah I didn't think much of the few Unskippable episodes I watched.

Extra Credits, however, is very good IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i heard yahtzee opened up some insane gaming cafe in Australia. love to see it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's the Mana Bar.
    http://www.manabar.com.au/

• Advertisement

That actually looks really cool. I wouldn't mind going there some time if I ever was Down Under.

Advertisement