Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operating in the dark !

Options
  • 17-01-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Who else saw this on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7193048.stm

I am surpised the cockpit does not have emergency lighting, or the flight deck crew don't have access to a torch or similar. If you read this most of the problems were due to lack of light

Any CPL out there care to comment ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

They would have had torches but could possibly have been quite difficult to hold them while doing everything else. It only lasted for 90 seconds too.

Remember the media (especially the BBC) will never give you the full story.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/sites/aaib/publications/formal_reports.cfm
    The co-pilot had difficulty in identifying some of the switch
    locations on the overhead panel because of the lack of lighting, but was able to
    carry out the ECAM checklist actions. Emergency torches were available to the
    crew, but were not used. Most of the affected systems were restored after about
    90 seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its surprising the standby instruments dont have their own illumination for just such an occourance. Sensationalism from the news really annoys me, its like they are trying to scare ordinary folk off flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Tell me about it. My airline had a slow-to-rapid decompression that was handled very professionally with few injuries.

Next day : "HOLIDAY JET PLUNGES THOUSANDS OF FEET, JOHNNY MCPASSENGER THOUGHT HE WAS CLOSE TO DEATH"

Advertisement