Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, after 30 years of armed insurgency...

Options
  • 17-01-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

The Provisional Movement signed an agreement not only accepting but agreeing to administer British rule on the island of Ireland on Good friday 1998.

Personally, as a Republican(Fianna Fail) myself, I was delighted to see that day come after so much bloodshed and mayhem for all concerned in the conflict.

But my question is how do those who supported the Provisionals(SF/IRA) throughout the last 30 years reconcile their struggle to end foreign occupation and in the end signing an agreement copperfastening that same occupation...?
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd imagine the same way Fianna Fáil did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

Hagar wrote: »
    I'd imagine the same way Fianna Fáil did.

But Fianna Fail didn't exist at the time of the Treaty. It was founded in 1926...

FF was formed in 1926 so although technically the party didn't exist the people who founded it and their ideals did.

FF was formed in 1926 so although technically the party didn't exist the people who founded it and their ideals did.

True. In fact there was the minor matter of a Civil War if I'm not mistaken.

However after the GFA the Armani clad Republicans were more than happy to take up their roles as servants on the Brisitsh establishment...

Didn't FF win the '32 Election and work as "servants of the British Establishment"?

• Advertisement

Didn't FF win the '32 Election and work as "servants of the British Establishment"?

A decade after the Civil War, which was fought over the Treaty with the British, Fianna Fail did win an election.

Its a bit of a difference to the GFA situation I think you will agree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Actually it's worse isn't it?
    Fianna Fail members would sign an Oath of Alligence to the Queen of England.
    Sinn Fein doesn't do that up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Tommy T wrote: »
    A decade after the Civil War, which was fought over the Treaty with the British, Fianna Fail did win an election.

Its a bit of a difference to the GFA situation I think you will agree...

Not really. De Valera (amongst others) started a Civil War over an Oath of Allegaiance that he later called an empty formula. Incidentally he took the oath himself in 1927. 4 years after his Civil War.

Back to the GFA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not personally being an Irish Republican I can't speak personally, but I would imagine it is the best of a bad situation.

Catholic imancipation appears to be pretty much done so the IRA's role of defending the Catholic community is no longer required. An armed struggle is never going to work with regards to ending British rule, so the only way Ireland will be united is through politics and diplomacy. Yesterday saw a DUP minister attend a GAA match, would this have happened if there was still bloodshed, I doubt it.

Until there is peace, trust and understanding, there will never be a united Ireland. I presume the provisionals realise that and have adopted a new approach.

The tactics have, I guess, changed, but the strategy is still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

dev took the oath = only to dismantle the treaty

ff - eammon o cuiv - basicially saying ireland would be better in the commwealth

anyway - if the people of the north vote to join a united ireland - it happens

Some interesting views there guys but I'm most interested in Provisional(SF/IRA) supporters' views.

What was the violence all about if in the end their leaders agree to administer the foreign occupiers writ after fighting them for so long.

It's hard not to view it as a sellout of their beliefs...

well many believe they are sellouts

logical people see that in 5-10 or however soon down the line - catholics will be a majority in the north

therefore will vote for a united ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Some interesting views there guys but I'm most interested in Provisional(SF/IRA) supporters' views.

What was the violence all about if in the end their leaders agree to administer the foreign occupiers writ after fighting them for so long.

It's hard not to view it as a sellout of their beliefs...

I think you are discounting how bad things were, or would have continued to be, for catholics & nationalists had the provisionals not been active throughout the 70's/80's. The institutional discrimination was not being addressed - peaceful civil rights marches provoked a violent response where the loyalist siege mentality was 'if we give them an inch we are lost'. So against that backdrop there was more to it than their ultimate stated goal of an independent united Ireland. imo.

Morlar wrote: »
    I think you are discounting how bad things were, or would have continued to be, for catholics & nationalists had the provisionals not been active throughout the 70's/80's. The institutional discrimination was not being addressed - peaceful civil rights marches provoked a violent response where the loyalist siege mentality was 'if we give them an inch we are lost'. So against that backdrop there was more to it than their ultimate stated goal of an independent united Ireland. imo.

That begs the question how did the Birmingham, Guilford, Brighton, Manchester, Enniskillen and Canary Wharf bombs improve the lot of catholics nevermind protect them..?

conor2007 wrote: »
    well many believe they are sellouts

logical people see that in 5-10 or however soon down the line - catholics will be a majority in the north

therefore will vote for a united ireland

Thats ignoring the sizeable number of Catholics who'd rather stay in the Union...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That begs the question how did the Birmingham, Guilford, Brighton, Manchester, Enniskillen and Canary Wharf bombs improve the lot of catholics nevermind protect them..?

If I had said that the birmingham, guildford, manchester eniskillen bombs improved the lot of catholics in Ireland you may get a discussion going there. Seeing as though that is not what I said your on your own with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Not personally being an Irish Republican I can't speak personally, but I would imagine it is the best of a bad situation.

Catholic imancipation appears to be pretty much done so the IRA's role of defending the Catholic community is no longer required. An armed struggle is never going to work with regards to ending British rule, so the only way Ireland will be united is through politics and diplomacy. Yesterday saw a DUP minister attend a GAA match, would this have happened if there was still bloodshed, I doubt it.

Until there is peace, trust and understanding, there will never be a united Ireland. I presume the provisionals realise that and have adopted a new approach.

The tactics have, I guess, changed, but the strategy is still the same.

i think you've hit the nail on the head,times have changed,peace and recognsialtion are a stronger means of obtaining a united ireland then violance, gerry adams would know that himself all too well,a violant struggle no longer would have any backing now,really hope some day we'll have a united ireland

Thats ignoring the sizeable number of Catholics who'd rather stay in the Union...

in a state that is economically worse of than the republic ?
    wher ethey are discriminated against ?

yes , i forgot those numerous people

Morlar wrote: »
    If I had said that the birmingham, guildford, manchester eniskillen bombs improved the lot of catholics in Ireland you may get a discussion going there. Seeing as though that is not what I said your on your own with that.

So the bomb attacks I mentioned did nothing for the plight of catholics...

• Advertisement

in a state that is economically worse of than the republic ?
    wher ethey are discriminated against ?

yes , i forgot those numerous people

In what way are Catholics descriminated against...?

you are showing a few bombings that happened after unprovoked attacks on peaceful marchers in their country which was invaded by foregin people

so . . .

and before you say it - no two wrongs do not make a right

now?

by the mere fact that they are in a foreign country despite being surrounded by the irish sea - being on the island of ireland and livin in whichever of the siz irish counties

nevermind the numerous ways which led to the founding of the ira (in the context of the north and its current form)

you are showing a few bombings that happened after unprovoked attacks on peaceful marchers in their country which was invaded by foregin people

so . . .

and before you say it - no two wrongs do not make a right

So the Canary Wharf bomb was in retalliation for the Civil Rights marches in the late 60's/early 70's...? Kind of a delayed reaction I'd say...:D

dissedents
    just by the by
    how many loyalists groups have disarmed??????????

none

now?

by the mere fact that they are in a foreign country despite being surrounded by the irish sea - being on the island of ireland and livin in whichever of the siz irish counties

nevermind the numerous ways which led to the founding of the ira (in the context of the north and its current form)

I ask again. Examples of descrimination against Catholics today... Being administered by a democratic State(Uk) doen't come into that category...

dissedents
    just by the by
    how many loyalists groups have disarmed??????????

none

Dissidents? The Canary Wharf attack was a Provo act...

just look at the state of the norths economy
    ''raped and pillaged'' and ''left for dead'' after its use as shipbuilding burned out like the coal industry
    yes its democratic as in it votes - but it has done a lot of wrong

no blacks/dogs/irish ?

taig etc etc - paisley attacking the pope

by who

pira ?
    cira ?
    ira ?
    some randomers who got a bit hot headed ?

as i said which is all going off topic - but anyway -

have any loyalist group disbanded? - why not ? crime and attacking catholics like the sixties/seventies onwards (and by there mere presence and claim to the land)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

But my question is how do those who supported the Provisionals(SF/IRA) throughout the last 30 years reconcile their struggle to end foreign occupation and in the end signing an agreement copperfastening that same occupation...?

Jesus, are people still actually using the word 'occupation' in this context? :rolleyes:

I wonder how many Northern Irish residents consider their country to be host to a 'foreign occupation'..

Advertisement