Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Criminal Court

• 17-01-2008 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I can't remember when I heard this but I remember someone telling me that there was going to be some sort of reform in the special criminal court. Been looking for stuff on this but haven't found anything! Does anyone know what type of reforms are proposed?

Thanks,
    Font22

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Font22 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I can't remember when I heard this but I remember someone telling me that there was going to be some sort of reform in the special criminal court. Been looking for stuff on this but haven't found anything! Does anyone know what type of reforms are proposed?

Thanks,
    Font22

I think the reforms were to do with trying organized / serious skanger crime within the Special Criminal Court framework to avoid e.g. witness intimidation problems that have now become problematic enough to undermine the Central Criminal Court process. As far as I was aware, the SCC was established to try terrorism / IRA crimes way back when... and thats the limit of my knowledge of criminal law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Was this McDowell's proposals regarding the admission of witnesses statements as truth of the facts without the actually present?
    Or possibly it could also refer to Ms justice Denham's proposals on reform of the superior courts?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Font22.

2006 CJ Act

http://oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=6490&CatID=87&StartDate=01%20January%202006&OrderAscending=0

Pages and inserts to SCC and OASA 1939.

Pgs: 31, 156, 163.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Perfect! Just what I was looking for Tom Young, once again you help me out! Thanks!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Font22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what type of reforms are proposed?

Returning it to the Kafkaesque nightmare from whence it came?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Returning it to the Kafkaesque nightmare from whence it came?
    "One morning as the Chief Justice awoke from his anxious dreams, he discovered that he had transformed into a monstrous insect"?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Actually, I was surfing the Dail debates for the comments on the Emergency Powers, under which the SCC was originally derived. I remember vaguely that there was a Dail debate on same last year and the reason for retention was something along the lines of Al Quada cells in Dublin!

If I find the actual debate I can send on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Tom Young wrote: »
    Actually, I was surfing the Dail debates for the comments on the Emergency Powers, under which the SCC was originally derived. I remember vaguely that there was a Dail debate on same last year and the reason for retention was something along the lines of Al Quada cells in Dublin!

If I find the actual debate I can send on.

As far as I know, the emergency powers have ceased, but the special criminal court, and the "measures" which the courts found were necessary on previous occasions are still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

And we moaned about the Diplock Courts... :rolleyes:

Oilrig wrote: »
    And we moaned about the Diplock Courts... :rolleyes:

Basically the same thing, except that the special criminal court has 3 judges and they are higher up the food chain.

People seems to support this type of court for the big gang leaders etc, but I don't think there is much jury intimidation in Ireland. Witness intimidation yes, informant intimidation absolutely, there's even a growing trend of garda intimidation (time was the gards intimidated the gangs) but I don't think there ever really was much jury intimidation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, with republican trials, one also had to watch out for sympathisers, something less likely with criminals.

Advertisement