Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large roofboxes!?

• 17-01-2008 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

People,
    I am wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction.I am looking to get a bigger than usual roofbox.I have a 500 litre on on the jeep but even with that i am running tight on space.As i am getting a bike rack for the towbar so it free's up space on the roof.It is a long wheel base jeepso I have the room on top.
    I have only come across the usual sites but am just wondering if anybody knows anywhere that does BIG boxes.
    Ta in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Have you thought about a covered trailer with a bike rack on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

yeah have thought about that but dont really fancy a trailer through the whole of France.Will probably end up buying a trailer tent next year so I think a big box is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Due to max weight limits for roof loads and carriers, about 500 - 700 liters seems to be the maximum size of these things.

Which makes sense, when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭youtheman

I believe 'Thule' are the Rolls Royce of roof boxes. Had a look at the web and 480 litres seems to be the biggest. If you get two of the long ones (that will fit skis) then I believe you could fit them side by side on a jeep. But then you could could possibly be overloading the rack.

On the subject of roof boxes, did you ever see someone queing for the ferry with it on backwards. How dumb do you have to be (not to mention advertising it). Nearly as bad (but not as dangerous) and the langers who put red bulbs on the front of their vehicles (I'll stop now and have a lie down).

I have found a Mont Blanc one with 620 ltrs.But finding it and getting it shipped to Ireland are 2 very different things.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Unfortunatly for you I had a gigantic one that I threw in a skip because it was too big!!! It was about 600 litres but an eyesore!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This
    http://www.skidrive.co.uk/boxes/product_detail.php?partno=601100

is only 340 liters ...but it could be a handy addition to what you've already got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

What about the likes of www.jfc.ie who produce all those plactic tanks etc. Their website indicates they do custom mouldings and possibly could produce something to suit. I'm sure if they seen potential sales the'd consider mocking up something.
    I had a local engineering works produce a box for the rear of my old motor home. Made form alumimum it was 2.4m by 0.5m by 0.5m and stored an enormous ammount.

Also, my neighbour has a nice trailer tent for sale if you're looking for one.

Thanks Guys,
    i found a Thule atlantis that holds 650ltrs which I think is fairly big.Seem to be retailing at an average of €650 here.Found a place in Wales (Dragon Roof Boxes) that seems fairly cheap but when you convert,add in ferries,fuel and other stuff it stilll racks up to €600 +. Will drop them a mail to see how much it would cost to ship but am imagining it wont be cheap just on the size alone.
    I will drop into Consort in Drumcondra and ask them.
    Will also have a look see at the link above might be worth alook
    Will keep you posted.

Advertisement