Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Transfer Stats (interesting content!)

• 17-01-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

not sure if this has been posted before. I got the attached file in an email, makes for shocking reading as a spurs fan. we have bought some flops... the comparison of arsenal versus every other club is impressive, they just use their money well.

According to the file, Arsenal's net spend on players Post Commencement of Ashburton Grove per year...
    £760,000
    :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ha! It's funny how these things go around the internet ain't it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The general gist remains the same, Wenger does great business.

However, the calculations are flawed, for Spurs at least:

Ricardo Rocha's transfer in is included twice.
    No fee added for Kaboul and Boateng, potentially their transfers will be "worth" in excess of £14m.
    Both Bale in and Carrick out are put in as initial fee then add-ons (add-ons not included in season transfer total) but Darren Bent's full transfer fee (which does include add-ons) is included.
    Erik Edman is in for free, he cost £1.7m.
    We paid money for Sean Davis (£2m+ IIRC) and Young-Pyo Lee (£1.5m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

also worth noting that Arsenal have won nothing in the last few years, and very nearly lost out on their Chmpions league spot only to be saved by some dodgy catering

Indeed, that is an old version of the data, but it was updated a while ago, although I can't remember if I ever uploaded it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    also worth noting that Arsenal have won nothing in the last few years, and very nearly lost out on their Chmpions league spot only to be saved by some dodgy catering

But for penos and UEFA changing their regulations the same could be said for Liverpool...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

But for penos and UEFA changing their regulations the same could be said for Liverpool...;)
    and the fact that we actually won it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

FA Cup 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

you keep clinging onto that

they werent under pressure as they had won quite a few trophies since wenger has been there, while keeping spending low

I know, i'm simply pointing out that if they dont win anything, it will be deemed as a policy that failed.

I aint clinging onto anything, i quite like Arsenal, just stating the way i see it, hardly worth praising Wengers transfer policy the last couple of years when it hasnt yet won anything.

I dont hate Wenger and quite like Arsenal, so this is not me having a pop at them.

I aint clinging onto anything, i quite like Arsenal, just stating the way i see it, hardly worth praising Wengers transfer policy the last couple of years when it hasnt yet won anything.

Success is relative, in the case of Wenger he has been immensely successful in keeping his side within spitting distance of both ManYoo and Chelsea for the last few seasons as he'd rebuilt his squad.

And I do hate Arsenal...:D

• Advertisement

Em, even if Arsenal don't win the league, their policy is still vastly superior to Liverpools. Arsenal have spent pretty much no money, Liverpool have spent about 80 million. Arsenal are currently doing better than Liverpool, and look to only get better in the future. Liverpool may have won the CL, and gotten an FA Cup, as Arsenal did, but in terms of the transfer policy, Arsenals policy is far superior to anyones in the world.

Even if they don't win the league this year, next year they will be a year older and a year better.

Agree in theory PHB, but wat if Arsenal don't win anything next year? or the year after?

how can you say that Arsenals transfer policy has been more succesful than Liverpools when Liverpool have finished ahead of them in the last 2 seasons as well as picking up an FA cup and Champions league? (granted Arsenal won an FA cup in 2005).

Wat i will concede is that at the moment Arsenals policy looks to be paying dividends, but as the old saying goes, trophies arent handed out in Jan.

And if Arsenal fail to continue their development as a team and big european clubs come knocking for the likes of Adebayour, Van Persie, Fabregas, what makes Arsenal think they'll stay? After all, they were poched from the clubs that discovered them so hardly have any allegiance to an Arsenal side that may not be winning trophies(despite their pleasing brand of football)?

All i am saying is that maybe i'd hold off on declaring their transfer policy the last few years a success until they start winning trophies.

(which personally, i think they will)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

big european clubs come knocking
    i almost kind of possibly maybe might someday see what you're saying but Arsenal are very much a big European club... so unless there's a mass exodus, any individual moves by players would be more 'sideways' than upwards (eg if this squad stays together next year but Adebayor moved to Chelsea, say, I'd consider things to be largely the same)

When i say big European clubs i mean, AC Milan/Real/Barca.

The clubs that its hard for any player to turn down, especially foreign players.

And i think if Arsenal lost Adebayour, it'd be a massive loss. He's the player i've been most suprised by this year, he has been really excellent and before this i never really rated him tbh.

Plus on a European sclae there is quite a number of clubs i would consider bigger than Arsenal.

When would also apply to Liverpool aswell as I'm sure you're aware. Not winning league titles is gona make any player reconsider their position at any club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Agree in theory PHB, but wat if Arsenal don't win anything next year? or the year after?

how can you say that Arsenals transfer policy has been more succesful than Liverpools when Liverpool have finished ahead of them in the last 2 seasons as well as picking up an FA cup and Champions league? (granted Arsenal won an FA cup in 2005).

Wat i will concede is that at the moment Arsenals policy looks to be paying dividends, but as the old saying goes, trophies arent handed out in Jan.

And if Arsenal fail to continue their development as a team and big european clubs come knocking for the likes of Adebayour, Van Persie, Fabregas, what makes Arsenal think they'll stay? After all, they were poched from the clubs that discovered them so hardly have any allegiance to an Arsenal side that may not be winning trophies(despite their pleasing brand of football)?

All i am saying is that maybe i'd hold off on declaring their transfer policy the last few years a success until they start winning trophies.

(which personally, i think they will)
    Well if the players do head for the exit after they don't get some medals there is likely to be a profit made off them.

Its basically a win win situation.
    They win trophies-Hurray for them!!!!
    They don't- More money to rebuild squad and keep tryin to stay up there.

PHB wrote: »
    When would also apply to Liverpool aswell as I'm sure you're aware. Not winning league titles is gona make any player reconsider their position at any club.

yes, the same applies for Liverpool, although if our recent record in Europe was to continue, i'd imagine it wouldnt really be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

When i say big European clubs i mean, AC Milan/Real/Barca.

The clubs that its hard for any player to turn down, especially foreign players.

And i think if Arsenal lost Adebayour, it'd be a massive loss. He's the player i've been most suprised by this year, he has been really excellent and before this i never really rated him tbh.

Plus on a European sclae there is quite a number of clubs i would consider bigger than Arsenal.
    Sorry, should have been clearer - I mainly meant that things would be the same from Adebayor's point of view... but you seem to be talking about a lot fewer clubs than I thought you were so it doesn't really matter anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As for players leaving for bigger clubs Mr Alan, one of your untouchable legends was very close to being tempted away... I believe one of the chants goes like this;

You put your transfer in, your transfer out
    In out In out you **** your club about
    Do the Steven Gerrard and you fleece your fans
    That's what it's all about

(To the tune of the hokey pokey)

*As an Arsenal fan, the ironing may appear to be delicious re Henry, but tbh thats looking like quite good business. Vieira too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Mr Alan everything you're saying applies to liverpool also. In the last few years all that Liverpool have done above Arsenal is win the CL.

However Arsenal have been consistently better than Liverpool in the prem for the last 10 years. At the moment Liverpool are living off their past achievement, having done very little in the recent past.

• Advertisement

agree to an extent.

although its not fair to jude wenger vs houllier/benitez together.

since Rafa has arrived at Liverpool, we have finished ahead of Arsenal every year except one, and that year we won the CL.

"all that liverpool is done above Arsenal is win the CL"

winning the Champions league is quite a big deal you know?

one of the greatest managers of all time (ferguson), has only done it once, its not something to turn your nose up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

ah sure it suits an agenda!

wat agenda would that be?

the fact that most non-Liverpool fans dislike Liverpool for no apparent reason...?

i didnt know that :(

well it's not a fact, it just seems to be the run of boards' Soccer forum imo, anyway...

I don't not like Liverpool if you get me.... I just find them very painful to watch at times. :(

like when they spanked ye all over anfield end of last season? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rafa's Record with Liverpool : 1 CL, 1 FA Cup, 1 CL R-up, 1 C-Cup R-up
    Fergie's Record Since Rafa took over : 1 Prem, 1 FA Cup R-up

• Advertisement

was that a compliment for liverpool Des?! :)

was that a compliment for liverpool Des?! :)
    Nope :)

i think it was.

i reckon you've sensed i am emotionly fragile since Rafas position has come under threat and are trying to be nice......ah, bless! ;)

i think it was.

i reckon you've sensed i am emotionly fragile since Rafas position has come under threat and are trying to be nice......ah, bless! ;)

Delusional :D

like when they spanked ye all over anfield end of last season? ;)

Yep.

Even more painful was when McAteer tapped in Fowlers "Penalty" years and years ago. I cried that night, cursed Jason McAteer and praised Robbie Fowler. It was quite an emotional night for a 9 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Missed out the sell of Luis Garcia

• Advertisement
Advertisement