Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to fix door lock on Golf?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I have a 99 Golf with central locking. The driver side door lock is broken (no longer opens or lock with key) so I need to lock the car via the back seat (reaching forward) for the passanger seat. Suffice to say this is a pain in the hole.
    Being the time of year, I need this like a hole in the head. Any idea how much this will cost to fix? ???

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

What exactly is the problem? Does the key turn and nothing happens, or will it not turn at all?

The latter happened to me on the same car. Applied a bit of WD40, waited a few minutes, then all was back to normal (for another year or so anyway).

Alternatively, it could be a loose electrical connection around the door lock. You can gain access to the area by removing the window winder, then the door trim.

A new set of locks will cost a couple of hundred Euro I would imagine. Try calling OTTO http://www.otto.ie/iopen24/ for a quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive got a problem with my Golf too.

Only happens sometimes though, i lock the driver door and the back door on the passenger side doesnt lock. The button goes down but pops straight back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The key turns but nothing happens/doesn't engage the lock. It started happening intermittently, then it went altogether.
    Tried WD-40 as I'd had that suggestion before, but no joy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Melion wrote: »
    Ive got a problem with my Golf too.

Only happens sometimes though, i lock the driver door and the back door on the passenger side doesnt lock. The button goes down but pops straight back up again.

Same problem on my 00 Octavia

Rear Drivers side doors, only happens when i use the central locking button in the car though. When i use the key on the driver side door lock it locks fine in the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Its a common problem alright. We have it on both of our MkIV's - driving along and the central locking decides to start getting involved in the action, jumping up and down incessantly.

I'd imagine your best bet would be an auto-electrician. Dont know where you'd find a good one.

Maybe keep us posted with your progress - seems like plenty of people will want the same job done.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

To actually answer the question:

~€150 for the lock
    ~€150 for fitting
    Done at Main Dealer

I had this done on a Mark V last year so the prices should be more or less the same..

Same key etc... after fitting..

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks a million for the replys folks!
    €300 lids. hummmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Zulu wrote: »
    Hey folks, I have a 99 Golf with central locking. The driver side door lock is broken (no longer opens or lock with key) so I need to lock the car via the back seat (reaching forward) for the passanger seat. Suffice to say this is a pain in the hole.
    Being the time of year, I need this like a hole in the head. Any idea how much this will cost to fix? ???

Cheers.

It's not that bad mate,same problem here - you can get the passenger side lock switched over by some one the know's VW's. Or you can replace the part thats broke - its a little T shaped piece of metal behind the keyhole.

Second hand lock = 30 euro - there are repair kits available on ebay for 15 euro sometimes.

Try VAGdrivers.net for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ah yes - the VW door locks in the late 90's. A disaster. New door lock is the only answer. Be grateful that a new door lock will now sort the problem, but back when the car was new, if the problem happened, you would have had the door lock replaced with an identical part only to have it fail in a few months/weeks. If only VW were as reliable as everyone perceived them to be..................

Advertisement