Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help kickstarting dj setup

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Apologies for wrecking heads with this novice stuff lads, but I'm mad to get into a bit of bedroom djing, and need some advice on getting setup.

Firstly, I got a set of Gemini PT1000 turntables and a mixer off a mate. I've also ordererd a macbook. I've so many mp3s at this stage my plan is to keep it digital at the moment with thoughts of branching out to vinyl once skilled. I plan to buy Serato Scratch Live to get me going.

few questions for ye:

1) where would i buy new needles for my turntables? how much am i looking at?
    2) Headphone jack on mixer needs to be fixed. Where to go with this?
    3) macbooks the way to go for digital djing?
    4) Do you recommend Serato product? I've seen it in use in various bars..
    5) Are 192kbps bitrate mp3s of sufficient quality to use for this sort of thing?

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

im having the same problem but i have 1210's need a new mixer and want to get the digital going I have heard final scratch is the best but i am unsure ......anyone got any ideas !?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've no experience of Scratch but this is a good place to buy from
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/rane_serato_scratch_usbinterface.htm
    You should also be able to find cartridges for your decks here. I've ordered stuff off them in the past and they have excellent service. Last item ordered was on Sunday 2 weeks ago, got a text next day saying item was shipped, item in my hands by that Friday.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Congrats on the decks, IMHO 192 is usable, but if you are planning on ripping your own from CD's or Vinyl go to 320kbps (futureproofing!)

A few alternatives hit me,

1. Deckadance - VERY cheap and works with most DVS vinyl systems records ! - AND works as a VST or with addon VST's within Ableton etc .. which is kinda cool, and the support forum seems fab ! ... its only really been out a year or so ..and the OSX version is just out - you will need an external soundcard like U46 to use it with vinyl.

A mate of mine bought ms Pinky Vinyls and you can even needle drop with it ! sweet.

2. Serato, industry standard, which actually I have never used :(

3. Traktor scratch - I like the interface of traktor and use it as my software of choice .. although will prob change to deckadance soon.

4. M-audio Torq ... I dont like the look too much but it seems really solid, i had it running with a controller for a while, its VERY cost effective too.

5. If you can hold off ... mixvibes looks like a real competitor and will be releasing a mac version "soon" apparently.

A macbook is savage for digital dj'ing in my opinion .. plenty fast, looks great, and of course no downloading of nasties when you go surfing.
    I've so many mp3s at this stage my plan is to keep it digital at the moment with thoughts of branching out to vinyl once skilled

All the above solutions give you vinyl control over your MP3's .. why would you start buying vinyl ... thats the idea of DVS systems --- you use Mp3's instead of lugging around 200 records .. (unless you REALLY want to work out every gig and pay though the nose for remixes you'll never play!)

Oh and thumbs up for Thomann for almost everything music wise ... but also check out some of the deals on Turnkey

Whats up with the headphone jack / what mixer... i might be able to sort you out depending on the issue.

Happy Hunting ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've been using Torq for about 9 months now and I think it's great. It hasn't crashed on me once and I've gigged with it a few times. It's about 1/2 the price of Serato as well. Can't go wrong really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

penexpers wrote: »
    I've been using Torq for about 9 months now and I think it's great. It hasn't crashed on me once and I've gigged with it a few times. It's about 1/2 the price of Serato as well. Can't go wrong really.

What is Torq?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's linked above.

EDIT: Looks like Torq 1.5 will be out pretty soon. It's a free upgrade if you buy Torq now or $50 if you already have Torq. From reading the list of features though, it's going to seriously compete with Ableton and at a fraction of the price. It will blow Serato and Traktor Scratch out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Only can really comment on the macbook. Yep top notch piece of gear. Just remember, laptops are not 100% secure. Be careful to protect it against loud bass frq when you leave the bedroom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Phibsd7

nice one lads! all good info. Torq looks like the way to go so, a lot cheaper as well..
    deevey, my mixer is Gemini PS 626 PRO. Headphone jack has fallen into the circuit board, reckon it just needs to be soldered back on maybe. Where would i go with a problem like this around Dublin?
    so thomann.de for the cartridges yeah.. any thoughts on types and values you should be buyin...? (seems to be quite a price range with them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

192k - depends on the source. Heard a 192k mp3 off eMusic played out last night and it was indistinguishable from a "real" CD source. (I know the source of the track, as the DJ in question had borrowed the CD off me...)

Still say 320kbps for future proofing, do you really wanna have to rip your whole music collection again in a few years ?

An interesting comment I saw on another message board (Torq's forum actually) was in relation to this.

The DJ in question was being told that his music quality sounded so much better than any other dj's that played their .. the difference.. he was playing uncompressed .WAV files .. they were playing Mp3's (often at 192kbps I would imagine).

The Question that begs an answer is ... are our ears getting so used to crappy MP3's that the average joe subconsciously can tell the difference between bit rates now ?

I would think YES.
    t's going to seriously compete with Ableton and at a fraction of the price

Not really compete i would say "complement" it can be used as a VST WITHIN Ableton! .. Whoohoo.

I could probably do a job on your 626 depending on where you are based.. PM me your details and I'll give you a shout on it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm getting interested in a bit of DJing now too, have a laptop and a set of belt-drive decks and simple mixer from when I was a teenager

What do I need to move on to the next stage? Most of my music is on mp3

I know I need direct drive decks, i'm just not sure on software, final scratch type things etc.

(into electro/house)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I'm getting interested in a bit of DJing now too, have a laptop and a set of belt-drive decks and simple mixer from when I was a teenager

What do I need to move on to the next stage? Most of my music is on mp3

I know I need direct drive decks, i'm just not sure on software, final scratch type things etc.

(into electro/house)

serato, torq or traktor scratch.

then you'll need better decks

but you could just as well get ableton and a decent midi controller and skip the decks entirely.

I think skipping the decks might be a good idea, looking at the post a pic of your setup thread most of the posters on there are doing the same, and I'm moving to France and Belgium for 2 of the next 3 years so ideally i'd like to bring everything with me

So is a mixer and some software all I need?

Oh and what would be the advantages of having a midi controller

Advantages of a midi controller

1) More control, Most decent midi controllers will mirror to a great extent ALL the controls on screen The more functions the less you need to touch your laptop all things like track selection etc. will be covered.

2) More hands on tactile control .. like regular DJ'ing with CD players or decks.

3) Looks like you are actually DJ'ing and not checking your mail.

Thanks I understand now, so I just use something like this http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR222706 and install Ableton on my laptop? Can you recommend one which is suitable for a beginner

I already have Traktor DJ studio but haven't used it much

Finally can someone recommend the best place for buying this kind of stuff? Either online or anywhere in Ireland

If you already have traktor .... I reccomend the Kontrol DJ (as i have one)... its built WAAAYYYY better than the Numark and only 300 euro inc shipping (i got mine in 2 days) .. proper full metal finish .. and support is by a great guy called Luis based in spain.

Traktor functions are mapped already :D

You can Buy it direct from here

Pic attached.

You will also probably need a 4 channel soundcard (2 for monitoring and 2 for output) ... Thomann are doing an ESI one for 88 euro which looks good... here

Otherwise on the cheaper end of things are all-in-one controllers like the hercules DJ controller (I used to have one ... meh! :rolleyes:) or Behringer bcd3000.. (again Im not impressed).. or higher upmarket M-Audio Xponant (which I haven't tried)..

The downsides with all-in-one controllers and soundcards is in the event of one part failing .. your screwed ... and most feel plasticy and I dont know if I'd trust them playing out (apart from the m-audio)... upside is they are easier to set up.

I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas on controllers...

If you need a case let me know .. I have one which I haven't used seeing as I needed a bigger one for my mixer / kontrol combo, but will fit a numark / kontrol or behringer nicely ... vurrry cheap... its toolcase size with foam inside.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lots of good advise there OP, do lots of research first, work out what suits you best, cause often it's really up to personal preference...

SSL seems to have the most reputable status, cause it's apparently the most reliable, but I recon many others are almost just as good these days. Alternatives also have way more features too.

You won't regret buying a Mac for DJ'ing but plenty use PC's successfully - they are probably more likely to crash though.

I use an M-Audio Torq Xponent which comes with the Torq Software. I like Torq a lot, there are some tiny things I would change but hopefully they will be solved with v1.5. If you want to keep your vinyl, the Connectiv is brilliant value. Only you can decide if paying the extra for SSL is worth it. A fully difital solution is a very viable option, again mainly comes down to preference. I think the Xponent is a fantastic all in one digital solution. No need for extra sound cards etc.

Always use the highest quality MP3's you can. 192kb absolute minimum. The difference from 128kb is noticeable. If you are on a bigger rig you need better quality music.

Advertisement