Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Transfer for UK car buy

• 17-01-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Somebody may be able to answer this one quickly for me! I am going to the UK this Saturday to purchase a Ford Galaxy-no issue there. The problem is I have a choice of probably 2 to choose from and my Insurance Co.(Axa) said I had to give details of the car along with the Reg. # before I travel because they do not open on Saturday and could only make the change on Fri. Has anyone come across this issue before and if so what did they do?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ring Axa again and ask can they pretty please note the two reg nos. You will only be driving one of them back after all. Otherwise, I believe there is the possibility of buying temporary insurance for one week in the UK?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

That particular insurance company are open on a saturday from 10am til 2pm if memory serves, at least the phonelines are...

This solves the problem of the two regs as ye can just ring them, be sure to get an international number from them as the standard 1800/1890 etc no. wont work from the uk,

A friend of mine imported a car from across the water and there was no problem with Uk plates they (afor mentioned insurance company) simply ask that it be changed over within 6 months, however,they never checked up on it as i recall

If ye are an existing customer (i think you are) the time in the Uk should be covered under your 30 days european travel, so simply ring up the company when you collect whichever car yer buying, and say "Id like to change my cover over to etc etc" they'll say "thats fine," may query the Uk plates but id imagine considering they wont mind too much. When they confirm the change simply state that you are now driving it home from the Uk and as per your Insurance booklet this is covered under the 30 days free European travel. If they get krusty state that it is clearly outlinesin the policy booklet, which it is.

Good look with the new motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Thank you for the responses. I got it sorted - DaveyGem you were spot on with the Sat. opening times for Axa. No. to ring while abroad to do transfer is 01-8729888.

Advertisement