Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date some a lot older or younger that you?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The reason i ask is my friend had a date last night and he was 14 years older than her, she wont see him again as she says he is much too old for her... I have dated someone 20 years older than me and dont have a problem with ... so what the greatest age difference plus or mines your own age you would accept

Comments

depends on the person really doesnt it
    i went out with someone 11 years older and he was the most immature idiot i've been with
    i'd be hesitant about anyone at all younger than me but that's probably because i'm still so young

so there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i love older women. I dont know why.. i know a woman in her mid 30's early 40's at most with short grey hair, i think shes soo hott!

I like younger women too... and women my own age...

hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds Greedy to me my friend.... sorry for the off topic. Personally i have no preference depends on the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

ive dated someone a lot older than me .....like 30 years older than me.

also recently dated someone 17 years older than me.

i dont think age matters to be honest. depends on whether you have things in common....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I dated a guy 11 years older than me, once. It didn't work out, but that was nothing to do with his age.

He was a stupid bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

I think it depends on the maturity of both involved! My sister is going out with someone 14 years older than her and they're happy one year on. You'd never think he was that much older, and I think thats what makes it work.
    Personally I'd be reluctant to go out with anyone more than 2 or 3 years younger than me, and probably no more than 4 or 5 years older than me. But never say never and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my boyfriend is 19 years older than me, and has a son 4 years younger than me.

depends on the individuals involved. entirely. so long as it's all legal and stuff, obviously.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

snyper wrote: »
    i love older women. I dont know why.. i know a woman in her mid 30's early 40's at most with short grey hair, i think shes soo hott!

hmmm...
    Duh. I hate having to realise Im now officially an older woman.

Older than me, yes. Not a problem. Now figuring my age that would make him late 40s to 50 which might make younger women go ffs.... but ya cant underestimate experience.:)

Younger? I suppose, but to be honest, its the maturity that matters rather than what age they are, or sexy pecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

KtK wrote: »
    ...or sexy pecs.

Lol! :D

I've just turned 28 and my gf is 20... Doesn't really make much difference I've found, it's all down to how you both click :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

A (female) friend of mine is 23 and is going out with a 37-year-old.. that wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. Mind you I never really say never.. or to be more accurate I do and then I swallow my words! I always swore I'd never go out with someone younger than me or someone who didn't live near me.. and now I'm going out with a guy who lives 150 miles away and is 4 years younger than me, and I couldn't be happier. So as far as the age thing goes, I could never rule anything out really.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I've only ever gone out with people in and around my own age, I think the biggest difference was him being 4 years older then me.
    I think I'd probably go out with someone up to about 8 years older then me and maybe 3 years younger then me, but then again its all about being in the same place mentally and both of your outlooks on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I'd only go out with someone older than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I really don't think its an age thing, its how well ye click. The oldest I've gone out with was a guy who was 9 years older and the youngest would be 3 years younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I don't think I've ever dated anyone more than a year or 2 older than me. Not intentionally, just worked out that way.
    I did date someone a lot younger than me (half my age plus 7 at the time:D)but he didn;t get my references and made me feel ancient.
    I think clicking is the most important thing tho. Age really is irrelevant when someone just gets you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jesus half my age plus 7 makes them 21, I really don't think i'd have much in common with a 21 year old, doing the maths the other way around I could see a 44 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have done in the past with older men and more recently with young men but think my ideal age in a man is about 31/32. In my experience men in their twenties are still tto selfish to really care about a woman not to mention that they are generally still ****e in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

In my head I'd prefer to date an older man.... but look at a younger man!!!!

Just call me a greedy b*tch!!!!

I have a vintage, I have always had relationships with men 6 years older.
    In theory I don't have a problem with dating any age from 20-50.
    But once someone is over the age of 35 and they havent had a sucessful realtionship you have to wonder why. It reminds of that ad for BT when I was small and if it wasn't good enough for Ms. Jones it wasn't good enough for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Yeah i definitely would.. It wont make much differnece when I am 84 and he is 98.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

:Lately I've only gone for men around 10 years older than me...don't know why tho, it's not a maturity thing because one of them is as mature as a 5 year old..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

On the whole I don't mind, I have dated/had relationships with men both older and younger than me. The largest age gap was 24 years, I was very young, he was much older and I doubt I would go out with someone of that age gap again. My ex was 16 years older than me, for him he felt awkward but I didn't mind. Two men I went out with were five years younger than me and again we got on really well. I think though I would be wary of dating a much younger men, ie: more than 10 years age difference but that is not absolute, I just think at certain ages people have different values.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

does 7 months younger than me count as a lot? :p

i dunno if age matters so much as life stages.. if that makes sense? like someone in 1st year college is at a different life stage to someone whos just started their 1st job, there could be very few years between them but theyre lives would just be very different.

in the same way someone just leaving college might be at a stage where they want to work for a bit & then travel for a year or so whereas someone older mightve done all that & be ready to settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

My last relationship was with someone 9 yrs older than me 24 v 33, she also had 2 kids. We went out for almost a year and we had a great time together, still great friends and have still meet up go ou with our friends have a laugh. It really depends, to me anyway, how you get on with the person, what you have in common, not only things to talk about but if you do want it to go on v long term you need to be at the same place in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I met my ex when I was 16, he was 23. We were together for 5 years and I can honestly say the age gap had very little to do with our breakup. I don't think age is an issue unless you make it an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

sar84 wrote: »
    in the same way someone just leaving college might be at a stage where they want to work for a bit & then travel for a year or so whereas someone older mightve done all that & be ready to settle down.

This is very true and seems to be the reason that myself and my ex broke up

We started going out when she was 19 and we went out for 5 years. I am 5 years older than her and after much soul searching it seems we broke up because we were at different stages in our lives

We wont be getting back together because of that but the sad thing is I know that if we had never been going out and met in a year or two that we would be perfect for each other

I wouldn't trade the time we had together for anything but sometimes life and timing sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I jokingly said to the girls last week that as long as he had his own teeth, I was happy. I don't think they got the joke. :o

Echoing what other people have said, age is just a number, it's all about maturity and clicking. At the age of 17 one of my best friends rivalled me for the title of most grossly immature, and he was 35. It really depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well girls the oldest i dated was 20 years older than me. it was great. besides one or two things. the man was as frugle as **** and he never went out with me and my mates. met him while i was living over in the states and ended up cheating on him a load and got caught 3 weeks before i moved home and it was on thanksgiving. was going mad. i wouldn't do it again. the youngest i went out with was nearly three years younger than me and god but he was/is still as immature as ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Question there is why did you stay with him instead of leaving him?
    That's what I don't understand about people cheating, if you're not happy, leave. Don't treat the person like crap by cheating on them!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my friend is going out with someone who is 13 years older then her, and they get on brilliantly, you wouldnt have an idea that there was such on an age difference at all.

personally, i wouldnt go out with anyone younger then me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

don't ask why i did. i still don't know i put it down to living it up while abroad. i was one of the youngest there. we were great friends. we have kept touch some what over the years. and when he came over ot me in ireland we were together. it was great.

Advertisement