Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date some a lot older or younger that you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Well my ex was 7 yrs older than me and I met him when I was 16. That said though, I would have been alot more mature at that age that alot of 16yr olds I know now. A guy I was seeing more recently was 32 - 11 years older than me - but you wouldn't have known it at all. I think it just depends on the people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

G86 wrote: »
    Well my ex was 7 yrs older than me and I met him when I was 16. That said though, I would have been alot more mature at that age that alot of 16yr olds I know now. A guy I was seeing more recently was 32 - 11 years older than me - but you wouldn't have known it at all. I think it just depends on the people involved.

Yeah definitely.

I hate it though when people think it's grand for a girl to go out with a much older guy but if it's the other way around it's seen as wrong, why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm 23 my boyfriend is 31, we have been together almost 3 years. I have no problem with someones age. Have dated people a lot older than me. Although i do find it rather scary when they are almost the same age as my Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i've tended to stay around guys my own age(32) give or take a year or 2! not really in to older guys but who's saying i might not like somebody that little bit older down the line, or 25 i'd say would be the youngest i'd go for !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I always thought i would end up with someone older than me. But my happiest relationship is with some one 3 years younger... go figure!

Age is only a number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

when i was...16? i went out with a guy around my age. total eejit. i wondered why he never introduced me to his friends..was because i wasnt his 'main' girlfriend ie he was cheating on me (and the other girl!).

when i was 18 i had a short thing with a guy who was 22. he was lovely but it was very short as i moved overseas. that was a nice age gap i reckon.

now, ive been going out with my boyfriend for 4 years. we met when i was 19 and he was 26. my mum was a bit :eek: but she got over it! my dad 'loves' him lol. me and my sister are always like "if you love him so much, why dont you marry him!" :D

it totally depends on how you get on..some age gaps dont work and some work great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, I would date a guy who's a lot older than me or a lot younger than me if I was attracted to him. Why not? To hell with what other people think. I'm seeing a guy who's considerably older than me and I've been with a few guys before him who were also a good bit older. I've never been with a younger guy but you never know.
    We're only talking about dating here - maybe it might be problematic in a long-term relationship, but that bridge can be crossed later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

The person furthest from my ge who I've been with was a year and 4 months younger than me, I always hated those four months when it seemed like he was 2 years younger :P (was only a teen at the time)

Also, you gotta wonder why people so much older, like 20 years olderor something, would have to go out with someone so much younger.

I do sometimes wonder why a person in their 30s would go out with a person in their late teens all right, but I suppose it depends on the individuals involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've a date this Friday with someone whose 8 years younger than me, if I'm perfectly honest I don't think its going to go anywhere, I've tried dating guys this much younger before and it's never worked, at that age they're just to immature. (I'm 27)

As for someone a lot older, I don't honestly know, the closest I came was with a guy who chatted me up in the Front Lounge one evening, physically oh hell no, but he was quite interesting to talk to!

• Advertisement

First post in the Ladies lounge for me :). Very intimidating :eek:

Anyway, my little sister who is 18 is seeing a 22 year old. Im 22 myself and this freaks me & my dad out. Shes had a boyfriend before and he was her age & the perfect fella for a little sister(he boxed & didnt drink/smoke). Now shes seeing this guy who I kind of know. He used to be a bit of a messer back when we were 18 & the last thing I want is my sister to get with some guy that wont look after her properly! Help!?

I'm nearly 30 and from my perspective there's barely any difference between 18 and 22.

Why do people keep giving me that answer! Maybe its because its my little sis and I kind of know the guy. I dont know but shes not that mature yet so me & the da worry. I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

You'll probably just have to leave your little sister make her own mistakes, there's not much you can do. Hopefully he's changed and is a nice guy and will treat her right but if you try to push her away from him you know that will make her like him even more. I know she's your little sis so you want to look after her and she might get her heart broken but she has to learn for herself, you can't protect her from mean boys forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Why do people keep giving me that answer! Maybe its because its my little sis and I kind of know the guy. I dont know but shes not that mature yet so me & the da worry. I dunno

If he's a asshole she will find that out for herself your objections may only make it last longer than it otherwise would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm 22 and my OH is 19 now, its a minor difference really. I love her to bits and I'm pretty sure she feels the same way.

That said a member of my family is involved with a man the same age as my father nearly. I find that repulsive even by my liberal standards. Nice guy though.

I'd say as long as there is no personality clash I dont see a problem. Some people are born older than others and their choice of mate sometimes reflects this. Live and let live etc...

Grand,
    Yeah the girls I know told me to deal with it that way because me and my dad's objections will probably make her closer to this guy. Ah well, just dont want her getting hurt but if she does I'll kim him! ;)

Do any girls out there feel the need to protect (read: control) their younger brothers from nasty females?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Dudess wrote: »
    Do any girls out there feel the need to protect (read: control) their younger brothers from nasty females?

nope

Tis different Dudess and you know it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LilyM1980

I think it depends on the person. Probably two - three younger and the same for older. To be honest what can you do if you fall for someone older or younger , it doesn't really matter if you get on well so go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

yes! my younger brothers gf is a controlling little b*tch, i cannot stand the girl & neither can my mother. particularly recently shes done things that have made me want to slap her. he jumps to her every word. but theyve been together 2 yrs, & really thered be no point making any objections about her because he would probably choose her over us at this stage.

edit: just noticed the "(read: control)" bit. i would love to protect him, but i know ive absolutely no chance of controlling him & wouldnt try. but sure even if i wanted to, the gf has already taken that job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

It depends on the person and the time of your life.

A few years ago, I would have had no problem dating someone much older than me,
    but i was a quiter person then, happy to just settle into something. The guy i was in love with for last five years is now 31 im just turned 21.

But now I'm with someone only 3 years older than me, and its energetic, fun, hyper, happy, we go to gigs, hiking, friends parties together. we're planning on going to amsterdam in the summer.

I dont think i'd be doing all that with the older ex boyfriend....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irishbird wrote: »
    personally, i wouldnt go out with anyone younger then me

orly.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    But now I'm with someone only 3 years older than me, and its energetic, fun, hyper, happy, we go to gigs, hiking, friends parties together. we're planning on going to amsterdam in the summer.

I dont think i'd be doing all that with the older ex boyfriend....

that could be more the person than the age. i know some energetic fun older people & some (or lots of) lazy younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

yes definately a valid point there.

I definately wouldnt go couldnt see my self with someone younger then me

i dont know it would just be weird for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I don't see a problem with dating older guys.. I know someone who's married and there's a 15 year age gap between them.

I think with younger guys I'd only go up to about 2 years younger cos after that they're to immature!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The current object of my affections is 34 to my 25, we've known each other since we were 29 and 20. In between then and now he's met and married a girl, had two kids (yessss no childbirth for meeeee) and gotten divorced.

I don't think the age difference matters right now, but I do see me at some point in my future going mad for younger fellas if it doesn't work out. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

One of my pet hates is "Age is only a number". What a load of b****!! It's the fob off answer imo and I hate it when people use it! Of course age is more than a number! And yes, It usually is going to make a difference in a relationship even if it's only little things. <Rant over>

My OH is 34, I'm 22. Our birthday is the same day so there's exactly 12 years between us. We've been together for nearly 3 years. Does it make a difference? Yes with the little things. Jokes he'll make, Things he'll remember that I can tease him by saying "I was 8, Do you think I cared back then? :p" He's done huge things that I've never even thought about doing and he's crossed off everything on his wishlist while I've only just started making mine up. But we are really good together, We get on really well and tend to think alike. But age does make a difference in our relationship!

I can't see myself dating anyone younger than me now (22). But I suppose when I get older I might not have a problem with it! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement