Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead PC

• 17-01-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My uncle has asked me to look at his PC for him because its essentially dead, after it turns on (about 3 seconds) it has one single short beep (which indicates a successful POST test) and then it turns off every time without fail. Ive tried looking for info on the PC but its an old Acer model so there is nothing out there with regards to manuals etc. Im baffled as the components I thought would be responsible for causing it to turn off such as a dodgy power supply, motherboard or chip would have failed the POST test but a single beep means it completes fine. Ive replaced HDD, RAM and CD-ROM with working parts from another PC but nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it to shut down? Any feedback much appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check the Fan, might be faulty. This can overheat processor and put it into an internal safety switch off. Also have you tried the CMOS reset . Press the BIOS reset or remove the battery for 5mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Did you look at possible heat issues. Could be a dodgy cpu fan maybe?

edit: beaten to it

Advertisement