Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Of Brothers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Plenty of great stuff still ahead of you, the_monkey. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

And this new show THE PACIFIC ... is similar ... nice one ....

someone mentioned Tom Hank's son , who is he ?

the fat guy who looks like Sam in Lord of the Rings ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hello
    I just got this boxset as a gift, I was delighted and have been told by so many that it's amazing..

I just watched the 1st ep ... and it was good ... but not amazing ...
    I am not dying to watch the next episode ... OK it's not the kind of TV like 24 or LOST ... but is it a "marmite" kind of program ?

you either love it or hate it ??

discuss.
    Definitely NOT a marmite program, especially one of the last episodes that deals with the camps in Germany.

...I absolutely hate it too when posters post "Discuss" like they are barking orders at us all.
    How rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

If you think it's good now. Wait until they get into Bastogne!!

All the easy men are great especially percante, and Joe choy!!! Oh and Spears!!! What a crazy but brilliant sob!

You meet Tom Hanks son in only one ep think he's in "The Last Patrol". He plays a young lt fresh out of westpoint.

This is the kind of program where if you're anything like me you'll prob end up watching this about every 6 months or so. Enjoy!!

Biggins wrote: »
    Definitely NOT a marmite program, especially one of the last episodes that deals with the camps in Germany.

...I absolutely hate it too when posters post "Discuss" like they are barking orders at us all.
    How rude!

I think discuss is as good as anything else to say! This is a forum afterall.

Thank for posting op!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Biggins wrote: »

How rude!

Apologies for offending , it was meant in a light way .... like "I am really interested in hearing people's views on this series" ...

and now ... yes I take back the "Marmite" ... I can't imagine anyone disliking it .... and looking forward to the German camps eps !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You have to watch them back to back to back to back..... :)
    Yeah, do that so you won't be trying to figure out who is who each episode, and then after Bastogne you will be calling it one of the best series ever.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's an awesome awesome show. My only complaint was David Schwimmer (sp) appearing in it.
    I thought he was excellent in it, but then again I am one of the few people to not have seen every episode of Friends several times over. But then again I did think Ross was the best charatcer in Friends. Anyway, I think he played the character well. Good acting.

I'm with k4t on the DS issue. Thought he portrayed the character well!

Overall alot of thought was put into all
    the actors - Quality HBO programming...

Shifty Powerrrrrrrrrrrs!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

the_monkey wrote: »
    Apologies for offending , it was meant in a light way .... like "I am really interested in hearing people's views on this series" ...

and now ... yes I take back the "Marmite" ... I can't imagine anyone disliking it .... and looking forward to the German camps eps !!

No worries. :)

I agree, you will love the Bastogne episode.
    I watched it a second time on blu-ray/5.1 surround/ 46 inch LED HD flat screen and by god that episode alone blew me away.

You have some quality watching a head of you to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The best show i have watched ... ever. I was a bit dubious at the start i must admit but i really got into it and have watched it through at least 6 times :D

I gave Generation Kill the same opportunity, but unfortunately it didnt turn out to be as good. There are two actors in the show that are pretty much indiscernible from each other, and that's only the start of the confusion.

I guess the point about David Schwimmer brought on board to help promote the show is a fair point. Though I think most of these types of shows deliberately try to have a cast that is unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I also thought "Ross" was excellent. I really really hated sobel the character so it worked for me. The 1st episode is one of my favourites.

Also, to me, bob is the best thing ever brought to the screen big or small.

I feel the need to watch it through again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I also thought "Ross" was excellent. I really really hated sobel the character so it worked for me. The 1st episode is one of my favourites.

I dunno Mike, I found it hard to picture the typecast Ross as being the quickest man running up Currahee, when his 10 year character in Friends possessed NO athletic abilities. I know it's a petty issue, but it's all about whether the show is believable or not, and I didnt find the character credible..

And dont get me wrong, David Schwimmer is certainly a fine actor. Probably the best on Friends.

Awww c'mon. When Sobel cut the fence on the training exercise in England, when he was told that he was losing the company and being reassigned! Those were brilliant scenes that were protrayed really well.

BTW op be sure to really thank whomever gave you the present of the boxset. Possibly the best present you'll ever get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Band of Brothers is just one of those shows that got better and better as it went on, I dont like David Schwimmer at all, cant say i rate him very high as an actor but in fairness he did a good job playing Sobel, bit of an imcompetent weasel and he played it well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Band of Bbothers is a brilliant, brilliant show!!. Another gem from HBO. Btw, The Pacific started last night in the States.. from the same creators of Band of Brothers.

Off to try and "source" this now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

If you think it's good now. Wait until they get into Bastogne!!

All the easy men are great especially percante, and Joe choy!!! Oh and Spears!!! What a crazy but brilliant sob!

Joe Toye! Speirs is definitely one of my favourite along with Winters, Lipton and others.

Bastogne and Breaking Point are epic episodes, my favourite of an exceedingly good bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dunno Mike, I found it hard to picture the typecast Ross as being the quickest man running up Currahee, when his 10 year character in Friends possessed NO athletic abilities. I know it's a petty issue, but it's all about whether the show is believable or not, and I didnt find the character credible..

And dont get me wrong, David Schwimmer is certainly a fine actor. Probably the best on Friends.

One of my guilty pleasures is Friends, but when watching Band of Brothers I kind of forgot that it was DS playing Sobel. It was only later that I went, "Oh yeah, that was David Schwimmer!"

To me, that said that it was acted very well by him. I think good acting is where you remember the charachters not the actors. I didnt feel like I was looking at Ross in uniform. All his mannerism are different, the way he speaks is different, even how he stands is different. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Its like you watch a Tom Cruise movie. In most Tom Cruise movies, its really Tom Cruise playing himself. Compared to Morgan Freeman. When I watch The Dark Knight, I dont instantly go "Hey thats Red out of Shawshank". I am aware its Morgan Freeman, but his most famous role doesn't leap out at me.

That aside Band of Brothers and The West Wing are in my opinion the two best television dramas ever made, and nothing has come close to them since they came out. I am looking forward to The Pacific, but I really hope I wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I also agree, recently I watched a movie where Tom Cruise played a man in a wheelchair, despite several roles in other movies made before this showing his legs functioning perfectly, I just didnt believe the character at all..

Band of brothers and the west wing were fantastic. I would put Rome in with them also as great programing well made.

Really looking forward to pacific. I'm torn as to whether I should start watching it now or wait and watch all together..,, decisions, decisions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm with k4t on the DS issue. Thought he portrayed the character well!

Overall alot of thought was put into all
    the actors - Quality HBO programming...

Shifty Powerrrrrrrrrrrs!!!!!!

Lol I love the way Spiers says that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

for those who have the dvd set i would recommend Ron Livingston (Nix) diaries..Really good

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Band of brothers and the west wing were fantastic. I would put Rome in with them also as great programing well made.

Really looking forward to pacific. I'm torn as to whether I should start watching it now or wait and watch all together..,, decisions, decisions!!!
    I agree about West Wing, and I've just started watching Rome, it's excellent! You've all convinced me, I'm going to buy BOB.

The new series Pacific looks good, I've always been interested in that part of history.

I agree about West Wing, and I've just started watching Rome, it's excellent! You've all convinced me, I'm going to buy BOB.

The new series Pacific looks good, I've always been interested in that part of history.

Excellent stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Get the blu-ray if you can. Have heard nothing but good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MOD: If this thread is too old and you feel a new thread would be a better option, let me know.

Just read that Richard Winters died today. RIP

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142701

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Otacon wrote: »
    MOD: If this thread is too old and you feel a new thread would be a better option, let me know.

Just read that Richard Winters died today. RIP

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142701

RIP

Saw this earlier. Huge loss. Inspirational figure. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Missed out on this first time around and then due to all the hype and that since I was behind I just stayed away from it altogether. Avoided The Pacific then after since I wanted to watch Band of Brothers first.

Anyway, I digress, for whatever reason it has taken me this long to finally get around to watch it and I have to say, its brilliant so far. Didn't see a thread on it so apologies if there is one.

Anyone else watching it for the first time or watching it again even? Looking forward to getting stuck in over Christmas and seeing if it lives up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kryogen wrote: »
    Missed out on this first time around and then due to all the hype and that since I was behind I just stayed away from it altogether. Avoided The Pacific then after since I wanted to watch Band of Brothers first.

Anyway, I digress, for whatever reason it has taken me this long to finally get around to watch it and I have to say, its brilliant so far. Didn't see a thread on it so apologies if there is one.

Anyone else watching it for the first time or watching it again even? Looking forward to getting stuck in over Christmas and seeing if it lives up to the hype

Usually rewatch it once or twice a year. It is absolutely brilliant. Can't say enough good things about it. Enjoy it, man!

The Pacific though, I wasn't too impressed by unfortunately. It's good and worth watching, but it just can't compare to BoB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You'll enjoy every minute of it. Top notch show. Only show I've seen come close was Generation War that was on RTE a while back.

Advertisement