Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband over wireless phone line

Options
  • 17-01-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I have wireless phone line, and am wondering (if my local exchange ever gets enabled) is it possible to avail of broadband over this connection ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

How have you got a wireless phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Username! wrote: »
    How have you got a wireless phone line?

Instead of running cable down to houses that are far of road, Eircom can put an antenna on your house that connects to a transmitter somewhere. It works like a normal phone, Dial up works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Well then ring Eircom and ask them is BB available to you and check to see what speed you line can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

look like a long shot. May have to go down the wireless BB route if its available in your area

Username! wrote: »
    Well then ring Eircom and ask them is BB available to you and check to see what speed you line can handle.

Well I know the local exchange is not dsl enabled, so im waiting. But when I ring eircom and try to explain my setup they have no idea what im talking about. I was just wondering if anyone else has this wireless connection and can get broadband and if so what speeds.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    look like a long shot. May have to go down the wireless BB route if its available in your area

I have tried two different wireless providers and they are both fairly dire, my last hope is eircom enabling the exchange.

From what I see and hear there seems to be a lot of cowboy wireless operations around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A "wireless phone" connection is usually limited to 64k. DSL won't whatsover run on it, at all, ever. You need Metro, Fixed Wireless, Cable, a phone line, two way satellite, Digiweb Mobile or even Ripwave or even 3G/HSDPA to get better than the dialup speed a wireless phone connection does.

DSL broadband from exchange needs a physical phone line that is not shared. A real pair of wires direct from exchange to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is it possible for a wireless phoneline to use the whole 64k?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 penfold944

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Is it possible for a wireless phoneline to use the whole 64k?

PCM requires 64k for voice

It depends on how the wireless portion works - if its an analogue system, then it could just simply be transfering audible audio range ( essentially a wireless phone extension cable )

Anyway, you wont get dsl over this - it sounds like you are on Eircom Ruratel system.

Advertisement