Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deluge on the way?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

RTE lunchtime forcast was gloomy about a couple of fronts on Friday/Saturday/Sunday/ that according to met eirean will possibily cause flooding.

:(

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Certainly looks like flooding is a distinct possibility over the next few days. More because the ground is sodden already than torrential rain - it wont take much for it to flood right now in most parts.
    Don't see any settled weather in the charts at all.

Honestly these charts are the worst I ever remember seeing at this time of year - no frost, no snow, just wind and rain..rinse and repeat, they are even worse than last year and thought that would be hard to beat.

So far this month I've had 104mm rain, God knows what huge total it will be by the end of the month at this rate.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its making up for Oct-Dec

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first 8 days of this month were great but since about the 9th or 10th its been a disaster with no end in sight to the wet and quite mild conditions. I'd say it will be February before the next cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    first 8 days of this month were great but since about the 9th or 10th its been a disaster with no end in sight to the wet and quite mild conditions. I'd say it will be February before the next cold spell.

Yea looks truly awful.

January could hit 7c in England!!

As for the next cold spell, i'd advice all not to expect anything out of January, synoptics are about as bad as they get.

Signs are that last 3 weeks in February and March are going to be below average, the season is following the path of most La Nina winters.

Above Average December/January and usually followed by a blocked February and especially March.

Signs of Stratospheric warming are beginning which could signal height and pressure rises to the north, usually its effects take 21 days to reach the surface synoptics.

So thats what were talking about, Looking at potential cold wintry weather from February 5th ish......

Till then mild and potentially exceptionally mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dont be surprised if ya see a 15c tomorrow! yes 15!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Dont be surprised if ya see a 15c tomorrow! yes 15!!

When I read that last night I laughed, 'hah! 15c in Januaury, christ, WC has really lost it!' :p

But I stand corrected, it was 13c here at 9am!! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we had colder days last July during that awfull summer:) I remember met eireann one day saying some part of Ireland (forget where) only scraped 9C one day last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 18 January 2008 - 10:00
    Weather Advisory
    Significant falls of rain expected over the weekend leading to flooding in places.
    The largest rainfall totals by far will be in the southwest of the country, with accumulations between now and Monday between 50 and 70 mm (possibly up to 100 mm on the mountains). Across the rest of Munster, south Leinster and south Connacht, totals between 30 and 40mm are expected, but totals further north should be less than 20mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

What happened to the deluge? Did things turn out as forecast?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

72 hour totals to 6am this morning:

Valentia Island 49.0mm
    Connaught AP 42.4mm
    Shannon 38.0mm
    Cork-Corcaigh 35.0mm
    Belmullet 31.2mm
    Dublin Csmt Aero 27.2mm
    Dublin AP 20.0mm
    Malin Head 14.8mm

Not quite biblical! Just wet.

In the same period, Capel Curig in North Wales ha had 159.0mm. Now that is a lot of rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It rained very heavy here in the early hours - particulary at around 6 am. The rain was torrential at that stage.
    There are floods in the fields where there normally wouldn't be as a result of last night's rain. I wonder what it was like in hilly places in Northern Ireland?

Advertisement