Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 BMW X5 3.0D - what to look out for?

• 17-01-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

hi,

I've been offered a 2001 BMW X5 3.0D. I know lots of people have opinions on these - that they are not really a 4x4 etc, but I've always fancied one and might purchase as its 7 years old now and affordable. Mechanically - what is there to look out for?
    Do they have any particular problems to eyeball?

any help as always is appreciated.

NIF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Why don't you just take it to a garage to look at as www.japshop.ie as they have the tools and knowledge to pin-point out all the problmes if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

hi,

I've been offered a 2001 BMW X5 3.0D. I know lots of people have opinions on these - that they are not really a 4x4 etc, but I've always fancied one and might purchase as its 7 years old now and affordable. Mechanically - what is there to look out for?

any help as always is appreciated.

NIF.

They're based on your E39 530d! The 3.0d is the same engine as your 530d.

Presumably what goes for E39s goes for E53s as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

?
    NIF.
    I'd keep an eye out for people writing "SUV Scum" on your bonnet.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd keep an eye out for people writing "SUV Scum" on your bonnet.;)

and people coming up to you when you're parked wanting to buy drugs off you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

E92 wrote: »
    They're based on your E39 530d! The 3.0d is the same engine as your 530d.

Presumably what goes for E39s goes for E53s as well.

Thanks for the comments so far........and as i live in the countryside, hunt and shoot with my dogs etc, It'd be perfect for me - therefore as i can say i have a genuine want for one of these, I cant be called SUV scum and i dont sell drugs..........anyways, the x5 has been superseeded by the range rover sports AFAIK for drug dealers. LOL

E92, i'm aware its the same great bulletproof engine and gearbox, but i was wondering about suspension,the 4wd system etc etc.

more info please for them in the know!?!?!

ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wouldnt say bullet proof engine, arent the turbos prone to blowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cyrus wrote: »
    wouldnt say bullet proof engine, arent the turbos prone to blowing?

Yup. Not as bad as the 02-04 320d though from what I've read on Motors and other places.

niceirishfella, I'm not aware of anything that goes wrong with the E53, I've read that there have been suspension problems and minor electrical issues with the E39 though, so I would assume it carries through to the E53.

Advertisement