Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to Cork, Do I need passport?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Passport out of date, don't have drivers licence or college ID! Flying Dublin to Cork tomorrow with Ryanair, wondering what sort of ID I'll need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

You need valid photo ID (check the terms & conditions on Ryanair's site).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I think a valid photo id means a drivers license or a passport??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

*Kol* wrote: »
    I think a valid photo id means a drivers license or a passport??

Indeed, amongst other things (but I don't have the list to hand).

OP you don't need a passport to fly from Dublin to Cork, of course you can use it as ID for the flight, but if it's out of date then you might have a problem getting them to accept it at check in or boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Valid passport or valid drivers license only.

Out of date does not qualify as valid.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

This is what they will take as valid i.d

* A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).
    * A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.
    * A valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID for travel on domestic flights within the UK and domestic flights within the Republic of Ireland.
    * For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

They'll take work ID, bus pass. Most forms of photo ID really on domestic flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

As Cork is a separate republic you will definately need a passport.

Even more essential is a local phrase book.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

A translator is also considered essential for this trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

WexCan wrote: »
    They'll take work ID, bus pass. Most forms of photo ID really on domestic flights.

I'm not so sure that's the case with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

WexCan wrote: »

refused my international student identy card about 6/7 years ago, between stanstead and dublin, just as well the passport was burried in the bottom of my carry on bag

not sure bout ryanair, but no id requried between dublin and sligo on aerarran in the summer, think it was required on all other internal flights

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pduff13

I am travelling Dublin to London on Tuesday for league cup semi final, a mate doesn't have a passport, just a licence. Will he not be allowed to travel with Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Princess J

pduff13 wrote: »
    I am travelling Dublin to London on Tuesday for league cup semi final, a mate doesn't have a passport, just a licence. Will he not be allowed to travel with Ryanair?

if he has a valid driver's lisence he'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

pduff13 wrote: »

Yes he can, quoting from Ryanair's website:
    For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

He can't check in online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TotsD

Does any one know if you are flying from Dublin to Cork with a child who doesnt have a pasport or any form of ID only a birth cert.Will they still be allowed on the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

TotsD wrote: »
    Does any one know if you are flying from Dublin to Cork with a child who doesnt have a pasport or any form of ID only a birth cert.Will they still be allowed on the flight?

I think the child needs to be named on the parent/guardian's passport. Not sure though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ryanair wrote:
    Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required for:

* Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland
    * Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.
    * German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.
    * Spanish children under 14 in possession of a valid Birth Certificate and or Family Book for traveling on domestic flights within Spain only.
    * Italian children up to the age of 15 years who are in possession of a valid Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel and signed by "IL QUESTORE" subject to acceptance for entry to your destination.
    * Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland.
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=pid&quest=photoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ryanair won't take a provisional licence as ID.

Advertisement