Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted windows - legal for the moment?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Whats the latest on tinted windows - are they legal at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

All depends on the tint I suppose and what windows are tinted. The NCT crowd have not got involved yet but its only a matter of time they check all the other items on cars that do not affect the cars safety on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My car passed the NCT with darkish tints but they don't take the p*ss by any stretch of the imagination. I've been through several checkpoints too and nothng was ever said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

All side and back windows tinted is legal in Ireland.
    There has been a ruling 2-3 years by a judge in Dublin.
    A guy got stopped by a Garda about this but the case went in favor of the guy.
    Since the Garda don't really bother.

Other countries are more or less hard abuot this, UK, it is the back only and 15% tint I believe. Germany can be very dark, but only rear and back windows.

Try in Portlaoise its a different story down there, the Traffic Corp have a device for measuring tinted windows and all the judges are shown the device etc. Anybody from that neck of the woods had experience of this down there

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

NBar wrote: »
    Try in Portlaoise its a different story down there, the Traffic Corp have a device for measuring tinted windows and all the judges are shown the device etc. Anybody from that neck of the woods had experience of this down there

I would have thought such a measurement would be inadmissable unless there was legislation to cover its use, ie above a certain value is illegal, pretty sure it doesn't exist. This is the way its done for psv vehicles in the UK.

• Advertisement

The device is a recognised and certified device from the Uk from what I have heard, thats why i was wondering has anybody from the laois area been stopped and checked etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If the gardai in Portlaoise are checking, is the legal requirement still to allow at least 80% light through?

gurramok wrote: »
    If the gardai in Portlaoise are checking, is the legal requirement still to allow at least 80% light through?

I don't know thats why if anybody has been done can they tell us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hooky 25

It all depends on the humor of the Gardai at the time. If its not the windows they'll look for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK there is no legislation WRT to window tints. The only thing the Gardai can do you for with too dark a tint is driving an unsafe vehicle. Can't see out the windows car is dangerous. There is a law coming in, but that was 2 years ago and nothing has been heard of it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

There is no law to state that tinting your windows is illegal. However it is illegal to have anything on your windows that abstructs your view of the road. Ie Limo tint on the two front windows. If you can see the road without winding down the window its not illegal full stop.

Interesting the gards quoting specific levels of light necessary allowed through windows when its not in any law over here, just the uk.
    Whats next, crimes against the queen...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

phill106 wrote: »
    There is no law to state that tinting your windows is illegal. However it is illegal to have anything on your windows that abstructs your view of the road. Ie Limo tint on the two front windows. If you can see the road without winding down the window its not illegal full stop.

Interesting the gards quoting specific levels of light necessary allowed through windows when its not in any law over here, just the uk.
    Whats next, crimes against the queen...

In Ireland the tint law is: Nothing yet, but as mentioned depends on the cops humor, could try do you for being unsafe, also the calibrated light meters will be getting used soon, but not sure when, as they seem to bring in laws now without letting us know.

In England the current tint law is:

Windscreen (Sunstrip or 150mm above the sweep of the wipers/75% VLT visible light transmission)

Front of B post (70+% VLT visible light transmission) most new cars have 20% ish tint.

Rear of B post (No current limit as of 01-01-2008)

Failure to comply by this gets you 10 days grace to remove. After this you get up to £2000 fine, and if you still don't abide, your car can and possibly will be crushed.

The Calibrated light meters sit over the door glass and sent a signal through to give the visible light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK there is no legislation WRT to window tints. The only thing the Gardai can do you for with too dark a tint is driving an unsafe vehicle. Can't see out the windows car is dangerous. There is a law coming in, but that was 2 years ago and nothing has been heard of it since.

So for this law that might be coming is there any indication as to what will or won't be acceptable in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just an update on this. i was just quizzed at a checkpoint by a blueman who said my windows were 'too dark'(they let in 80% light i think, they are no way too dark like some boyracers have theirs)
    He said they were illegal. I asked under what law. He replied 'law was passed last year' about it.
    Then he asked for licence etc. When giving it back, he started saying same stuff over again about being too dark and illegal. I asked again, under what law are they illegal.
    He replied, 'law passed last year', he couldnt name that law though!

Then he said to get rid of sunstrip. At this point i knew he was bullsh1tting so i said 'okay' to shut him up in nodding and he let me on my way then.

What a chancer!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Post has been done a thousand times.

Non essential stickers is what you can be prosecuted for, under the construcion and use of vehicle regluations.

Funny really becuase every patrol car has a clear film (the same as tints) on every window to prevent shards of glass forming if the car gets stoned or bottled ect.

No % or no amount of light test is performed or used in any prosecution.

Factory smoked glass is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

What about, you know those "mirrored" tints? Do they actually let in less light? I would like to get them done for privacy and cos I think they look well if done right.

Also, what's wrong with a sunstrip? They're not blocking your vision, unless you want to focus more on aeroplanes than on other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about, you know those "mirrored" tints? Do they actually let in less light?
    I imagine substantially less.
    I would like to get them done for privacy
    People will still know its you. "Ah, there goes bigpinkelephant in his bigpinkelephant car".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Victor wrote: »
    People will still know its you. "Ah, there goes bigpinkelephant in his bigpinkelephant car".

Well if they think I'm a guy, then my privacy tints are doing their job, cos I'm a girl :P

Advertisement