Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memo to Derek Mooney

• 17-01-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Degs,

just to let you know, I don't really care about your opinion. I don't care what you have to say about X factor, I don't care what you think about yellow boxes, and I think your show would be a LOT more bearable if you let the guests answer the questions that - in fairness - you asked them. You are essentially there to introduce each segment, and that's all we really want from you. A conversation does not go like this:

"So, tell me how you came to be famous?"

"Well, I"

"because it's something that's fascinated me, you know? I think that modern fame is a double edged sword...."

JUST SHUT UP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, he hurts my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As soon as I hear "Ye waaannna hear mooore" my hand insticntively reaches for another channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I thought I was in The Thunderdome for a moment then Teebs.

Derek Mooney is incredibly irritating. I find him far too hyperactive and false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I thought I was in The Thunderdome for a moment then Teebs.

Derek Mooney is incredibly irritating. I find him far too hyperactive and false.

:) - just copped that. I think they've dropped the "wanna hear mmoooooorree" bit - 1 down, 1 to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I can't stand the guy. I turn straight over when I hear him. The only bit of his programme I like is when he goes "Byyyyyeeeee" at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Annoying annoying man! He pretty much loves himself and the sound of his own voice. His opinion is the only one that matters, and God help anyone who disagrees. He also talks as if he's poor and can't afford anything. Yeah, right. I haven't listened since before Christmas though, but I did manage to catch Winning Streak 2 weeks ago. Equally annoying. Shut up Derek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And that cow on the show with you, the Donoghue one.

Yeah, it's radio for oul' wans in Drimnagh and de Liboh-teees... just like Joe Duffy - the type whose husbands drive Toyotas and don't know how to cook.

No interest whatsoever for anyone under 35 (like me, well, for a few months more at least!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

fricatus wrote: »
    The only bit of his programme I like is when he goes "Byyyyyeeeee" at the end.

Good god, you mean thats' REAL?!?!!

I thought it was just a piss-take on Gift Grub or some-such...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ye don't quite get the concept of his show and the audience it is targeted at do ye? After all It is radio 1 and people over 35 years of age do listen to radio as well.

It makes me smile when I see comments slating successful radio presenters here. After all it is one of the only professions where you are contatly being appraised by your customers and bad ones don't keep their gig. He may not be to everyones taste but I think Mr mooney will be around for quite a a while.

Not eveyone is into listening to the same handful of songs being played to death over and over again.

• Advertisement

I have no interest in the boom boom ****é on a lot of radio stations.

However last week Mooney devoted a large chunk of air time,with that chainsaw voiced bint Donohue teaching men how to clean!!!!!.Someone from the Beacon Hotel was giving 5 idiots a "course" on how to clean.

Bet your bottom dollar half of RTE were getting freebies from the Beacon for the month.

Informative and interesting-noooo.... tabloid reality muck...Yeees

If that's the best a so called good presenter and producer can produce,well I despair to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Actually I heard worse on Thursday when they were talking to some woman who ran "laughter yoga" courses. You had to meet up with people in a class and put on these fake laughs-it was unbelievable. And Brenda Donoghue drives me mad. She was on Gerry Ryan years ago and got all the soccer gigs. She couldn't pronounce Vilnius and kept calling it "Villanous"! Derek Mooney was good on Mooney goes Wild and should have been left do that. Likewise Joe Duffy should not be doing Liveline-Marain Finucane was far better.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ye don't quite get the concept of his show and the audience it is targeted at do ye? After all It is radio 1 and people over 35 years of age do listen to radio as well.

Not eveyone is into listening to the same handful of songs being played to death over and over again.

You're making assumptions about my tastes there, just because I don't like Derek Mooney. I'm firmly in the Radio 1 stable... always have been.

I know people don't like Pat Kenny, but on radio, he's great. Morning Ireland is unmissable. When Tom McGurk takes over from PK in the summer, he's great too; and he takes no $hit. He should be brought back for the Sunday Show... although having said that, I've softened in my attitude towards Marian Finucane. The Sunday format suits her well, and she's grown into it.

Similarly, Rattlebag was a programme I would have left on. I tried never to miss Vincent Browne, and the Mystery Train was fantastic. I love the sports coverage on a Sunday too...

But RTÉ keep on gimping it up! They have that Easy Sunday middle-of-the-road programme right when Waterford are thrashing Cork in the hurling of a Sunday and you're at the beach and want an update! They stuck Derek Mooney on 5 days a week, told Myles Dungan, John Kelly and VB where to go, and they did away with the Sunday Show, which Tom McGurk was brilliant on ("Good morning, good morning").

I... just... don't... get... it...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I don't like Mooney goes wild, hate him on Winning Streak but tried him on the afternoon slot and grew to like his diverse topics, don't listen on friday as that dreadful woman is on with him Eanna ní Lamhna, can't stand her like Aine Lawlor.

I agree with the poster that said he keeps on about how poor he is and he on about 250 g's or more PY, and him living in that 3 beded mid terrace house.

Wonder dose that 1000 euro that he gives away cover itself or make a healthy profit, would love to know the figures.

FAN TAS TIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

Greenman wrote: »

Wonder dose that 1000 euro that he gives away cover itself or make a healthy profit, would love to know the figures.

FAN TAS TIC

Calling that feature "Mooney's Money" is SUCH a misnomer. It's not Mooney's Money, it's the listeners' money....at least the saps who phone in and pay through the nose for doing so. You can bet that RTE get a helluva lot more than €1000 from their share of the revenue from the phone calls every day.

Mooney is a Muppet. The interesting parts of his programme are more than cancelled out by his opinionated persona and the preachy green slant on the show.

Made some remark yesterday that the VHI would be better reducing fees to clients rather than sponsoring some competition they had an interest in.

Shows how naive the man is.

He conveniently forgets the numerous sponsorships his own frikken show has.

By the way, he used to have a guy called Paul Gee on the air 7/24 during last year. He seems to have disappeared without trace. Some little tiff maybe!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

That afternoon show is terrible. Radio 1 is stuck between tow generations at the moment. They're tryin to be more "trendy" yet keep the people that think there's only one radio station in the country happy. Mooney's show is stuck in between this. The granny's love him but he's a pain in the arse to most normal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Happened to hear him this afternoon, he was doing some personal finance slot and was talking about buying shares and that he doesnt have any shares and if he had a spare 500euro should he buy shares. The guy must be earning 250k+ in rte from the radio and tv work and he goes on like hes a student or something.

Student!!!!

To listen to him,the average student is a millionaire.

He sounds like some poor dude trying to exist on a non-contributory pension.

The way he puts it,you could expect to find him rooting in bins along the Lr.

Kilmacud Rd.

I know he must keep the general populace in mind,but,Jaysus, we are not all

rees.

I was nearly rooting in my pocket for a few coppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

fricatus wrote: »
    I know people don't like Pat Kenny, but on radio, he's great.

Well someone must like Pat Kenny on TV because seven hundred odd thousand watch him on a Friday night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's RTE, tho, they'd probably watch anyone..

MarkN wrote: »
    Well someone must like Pat Kenny on TV because seven hundred odd thousand watch him on a Friday night!

Sorry, for "people", read "many of the loudest mouths on boards.ie". :D

Still and all though, there are a lot of people up and down the country for whom watching the Late Late is an automatic choice. If you put a dancing bear from Uzbekistan on, they'd still watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thank God I'm working when Mooney's on and don't have even a chance to hear his voice...

Student!!!!

To listen to him,the average student is a millionaire.

He sounds like some poor dude trying to exist on a non-contributory pension.

The way he puts it,you could expect to find him rooting in bins along the Lr.

Kilmacud Rd.

I know he must keep the general populace in mind,but,Jaysus, we are not all

rees.

I was nearly rooting in my pocket for a few coppers.

I remember he went on about this Rachel Allen cake that he was going to make and bring into studio. He got poor Eanna all excited about it. The next week he arrived in without the cake and with a story about how expensive the ingredients were and how he decided to substitute some ingredients for another (I can't remember what it was but whatever he changed was really stupid and would have changed the cake completely!) and how it didn't cook properly and how he had to let it set in the fridge because it came out wrong. He got pretty worked up about it. He was so negative about it. I mean, come on, it's a bloody cake. I made it. It was nice. And he promised Eanna some but ate it all himself despite his complaints. (But I suppose it was SOOO expensive that he had to get the most out of it! I'm a student and I managed to afford the ingredients!)

Is he going out with anyone? I doubt it very much. He loves himself too much, he has none to give away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Can't stand Eanna (I have my reasons but they would identify me :cool: ).

Pat K is desperate on telly but on current affairs on the radio he really shines, loath though I am to say it...

I was devastated when Rattlebag finished *shakes fist*

Ah well, what do the French say 'tout ca change, tout c'est la meme chose' or summat.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I remember he went on about this Rachel Allen cake that he was going to make and bring into studio. He got poor Eanna all excited about it. The next week he arrived in without the cake and with a story about how expensive the ingredients were and how he decided to substitute some ingredients for another (I can't remember what it was but whatever he changed was really stupid and would have changed the cake completely!) and how it didn't cook properly and how he had to let it set in the fridge because it came out wrong. He got pretty worked up about it. He was so negative about it. I mean, come on, it's a bloody cake. I made it. It was nice. And he promised Eanna some but ate it all himself despite his complaints. (But I suppose it was SOOO expensive that he had to get the most out of it! I'm a student and I managed to afford the ingredients!)

Is he going out with anyone? I doubt it very much. He loves himself too much, he has none to give away.

Il'l quote the man himself from one of last weeks shows"I don't have a female partner myself"

You can extrapolate from that if you wish but ......... those were his words.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You can extrapolate from that if you wish but ......... those were his words.;)

Extrapolate? Anyone can see the man is so far into the closet that he's likely to meet Aslan (the lion, not the band).
    The only bird Del's had round his place is that family of blue tits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I woulld like to think that Derek Mooney is on at the same time the aul ones get stoned:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It makes me smile when I see comments slating successful radio presenters here. After all it is one of the only professions where you are contatly being appraised by your customers and bad ones don't keep their gig. He may not be to everyones taste but I think Mr mooney will be around for quite a a while.

I listen to Radio 1 probably 95% of the time but the only time I feel the need to change the channel is when Mr Mooney comes on. Sometimes I'm in situations where I have no control over the radio and it is during these times that I realise how awful that show is! :(

• Advertisement

I listen to Radio 1 probably 95% of the time but the only time I feel the need to change the channel is when Mr Mooney comes on. Sometimes I'm in situations where I have no control over the radio and it is during these times that I realise how awful that show is! :(

When I lived at home I used to listen to Newstalk (just because it's not Derek) at that time on my way home from college. My mum used to have Derek on when I walked in the door. I had no choice but to listen because she used to turn the volume up fully. She thinks he's a tool, but she did it to annoy me.

I forgive her though because she wont allow Ronan Collins to be played in the house.

I'm going to try to listen to Derek this week, give him a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

He makes for painful listening alright and that Eanna whatsherface sounds like a poor man's Mary O'Rourke, horrific as that may sound. I can't bear listening to his show for more than about 2 minutes but unlike lots of people, I know how to change stations on my radio :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

His horrendously out of tune theme music (particularly the segment at ad breaks) is like nails on a blackboard.

Once you've copped it at all you can't help but notice it all the time-sorry...

O Donoghue is probably the most irritating bint on radio.

Duffy is just a male clone of Finucane, same dreary cliched openers and links etc. etc., no imagination...

PK is the business on radio, but beyond brutal on TV.

Now, I'm back in my happy place.

O'Donoghue???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats down to taste, Just because someone does not like his show does not mean it is awful. From a technical point of view Mooney is a good radio presenter.

There is no such thing as a universally liked radio presenter, One man's thrash is another mans gold,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

There is no such thing as a universally liked radio presenter, One man's thrash is another mans gold,

Sort of hit it on the head there. Personally I don't like Tubridy for my own reasons but having said that he seems to get the ratings so why shoot the man if he can hold his own...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

From a technical point of view Mooney is a good radio presenter.

Mary from Nobber loves DM cause he plays his jingle tight out of the break. Don't think so !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

I agree with the opinions expressed so far in this thread...

O Donoghue is a PITA, amazing how she is still on the radio. I just put it down to G Ryan in a moment of (coke) weakness hiring her to be a 'reporter' on his show..

Eanna, whatshername sounds as thick as 2 planks and is so ignorant whenever an expert is on the show.. She carries on talking over them in that horrible accent she has..

As for mooney himself.. Such a drama queen.. We all know he's openly gay but he recently got defensive when someone suggested the majority of the features on the show were gay related. He gave his usual 'build a bridge and get over it' jibe but I had been thinking the same before the suggestion was made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jayo99 wrote: »
    As for mooney himself.. Such a drama queen.. We all know he's openly gay but he recently got defensive when someone suggested the majority of the features on the show were gay related.

first of all, I like Mooney.. I think he's refreshing for RTE.. he's down to earth unlike most of the other RTE presenters... But I WAS annoyed by that one item, which lead to that recent "Mooney is only covering gay issues" argument... There was some prissy, childish queen talking about "Gay Conversion Therapy"... It was THE most subjective item I've ever heard on RTE radio.. The contriubtor's self assured, indulgent tone really annoyed me and a number of other listeners, and Mooney just let him rabbit on without contradiction.. and this is what lead to the backlash about him basically being the pink channel...

I have nothing against gay people.. like I said already.. I'm a big fan of Mooney, I think he's great on the radio.. but that particular issue really annoyed me.. but that one guy and his subject REALLY pissed me off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I don't listen to him that often because the infinitely superior Moncrieff is on at the same time. But I have noticed he has that annoying habit of laughing hysterically at his own jokes and he is the only one laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

jayo99 wrote: »
    I agree with the opinions expressed so far in this thread...

Eanna, whatshername sounds as thick as 2 planks and is so ignorant whenever an expert is on the show.. She carries on talking over them in that horrible accent she has..

Never listen on friday because of her but always check just in case she's not on.

Never liked Mooney goes wild but can live with his current slot.

Quite laughable the way he plays the poor card,"communion money' and all that.

Finally, had a Mooney jacket that didn't fit so gave it to a guy in Morocco.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

He drives me to distraction.

There was a slot on a while back about Facebook and he went off on one about why anybody would want to be on that telling everyone their business yada yada yada.

Did anyone else here the spoilt little brat on before the christmas, like, and she, well, like, lovessss Jedward OMG1!!!11. Like.

I think those 2 twits were on the show after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Slidey wrote: »
    He drives me to distraction.

I didn't mind him when he first started doing the slot, but I stopped listening. I downloaded one or two of the podcasts recently, and it has becoming a very annoying show. I download every podcast of his rival in the same timeslot over on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Surely Mooney has scraped through the bottom of the barrel by now?

There seems to be a concerted effort on that show in particular to appeal to the lowest common denominator....it harks back to Gaybo when he ran his bank holiday quizzes and anything to do with maths or arithmetic came in for special treatment. It was as if nobody in the country could count just because maths wasnt Gaybo's strongest point. To me, Mooney is the same, except all the time. He seems to assume that everybody's thick. Mooney's Money is a case in point, although I'm aware that they want as many idiots as possible phoning in to enrich the dwindling coffers in Montrose.

I'm assuming that Aonghus McAnally, his producer, is culpable here too.

Finally, Derek, lose the falsetto endings to your sentences please.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Eanna is great. Straight talking, knows her subject, credible.

Altogether a breath of fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Condatis wrote: »
    Eanna is great. Straight talking, knows her subject, credible.

Altogether a breath of fresh air.

incredibly obnoxious and overbearing woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

What's your problem Bob? Are you scared of strong women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Condatis wrote: »
    What's your problem Bob? Are you scared of strong women?

I agree with Bob. I dont like her either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

What's gender got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'd say Derek will be starting today with a public apology..

Mooney apologises to cancer sufferer after live TV gaffe
    Mooney apologises to cancer sufferer after live TV gaffe
    RTÉ presenter Derek Mooney has been forced to apologise after upsetting a cancer sufferer live on air. During RTE One’s live Millionaire Raffle Draw on New Year’s Eve, Mooney mistook a turban worn by audience member Máiréad Lynch as a novelty hat.

The presenter, unaware Máiréad was wearing the turban of necessity after undergoing chemotherapy, then asked her if she was having a "bad hair day".
    Máiréad’s boyfriend, Stephen McGinn was one of two audience members selected to help with the draw live on air. Mooney asked him who he was with, to which Stephen replied: "I’m with my girlfriend Máiréad, her mam, her auntie and her sister."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm no fan of Mooney, a bit too keen to throw around unnecessary comments, but I feel sorry for him over the turban remarks. His own brother died of cancer a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement