Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memo to Derek Mooney

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He's made a straight up full apology to the girl and her boyfriend.. as I expected he would..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The comment was typical of Mooney - silly, inappropriate and a woeful attempt to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Condatis wrote: »
    What's your problem Bob? Are you scared of strong women?

your right of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Mooney got his tighty whities in a twist when someone pulled him up on his car auction of Seanie Fitzs car.

Apparently he spent the weekend agonising wether he would do it or not.

Shame he wouldn't put as much effort into his show (or that poxy quiz for that matter :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the scenario with this fellow reading derek stories isa bit disturbing IMO

Can I just say first I like Derek Mooney.. I think he's a nice guy, he's funny, he's more grounded and honest than most of the RTE presenters.. He's a breath of fresh air on a stuffy channel...

However, I have one problem... He is the worst man to take criticism. When he reads out the negative texts, he cant just read them out objectively and say "well I do my best and I'm sorry if it's not for everyone"... He feels obliged to 'win' the argument every time (in the absence of the texter/caller)...

Derek, just LISTEN to the negative texts/calls and take them on board, use them productively to improve the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

OKAY enough about Mooney !!!! what about Joe Duffy, consumate public service broadcaster!!! the best public service that he carries out is to warn us of that autocratic - idiotic fool mooney at the end of his show by saying "Derek Mooney" is next !!!

Thank you so much joe for saving my ears!!! LOL

When A. McAnally does the show it is ver listenable !!!

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Interviewers who don't let the interviewee talk are bad interviewers. It really annoys me when interviewers do that, e.g. Jonathan Ross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Interviewers who don't let the interviewee talk are bad interviewers. It really annoys me when interviewers do that, e.g. Jonathan Ross.

Have you ever tuned into Coleman at Large on Newstalk ?

Its all one way traffic on that programme. I often wonder why he has any studio guests at all. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to ask if anyone heard Mooney interviewing the Book Reader on the show yesterday. It was cringe inducing to listen to Mooney drool at every syllable uttered by the interviewee who admittedly had a cool Scots accent. Anyway it was evident throughout the long and extended interview Mooney was clearly besotted by this chap in fact i almost expected Mooney to climax.

Role on the show and a few texts arrive and the real side of Mooney became evident. Bitchy, childish and lets be frank CAMP responses were given by Mooney for listeners daring to inquire was He chatting the interviewee up, in fact roaring at one point he advised on listen to COP ON!

I have witnessed Mooney's aggressive responses in the past, his response is to suggest the entire world is homophobic when clearly he himself appears to be "In reverse"

I for one and a number or other listeners who bothered to text him were of the same opinion, Mooney was chatting the poor interviewee up and he was only short of asking for his number.

Not a regular listener, caught the show by accident and was interested in this new concept of the service of a book reader in Hotels etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not a regular listener [...]

Obviously not a regular poster either. Keep the terms of personal insult towards presenters to yourself in future. I've edited your post this time but next time I won't be so lenient.

byyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Bard wrote: »
    Obviously not a regular poster either. Keep the terms of personal insult towards presenters to yourself in future. I've edited your post this time but next time I won't be so lenient.

byyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Obviously an avid listener of this show. I would suggest over a thousand posts would qualify me as a reasonably regular poster. Clearly you missed the show in question but it was telling the amount of listeners who did text in about the issue i raised. Apologies is you were offended, Mooney was clearly so given his quite bizarre reaction to the text comments.

I will go off now to sulk for the day!

Apologies is you were offended, Mooney was clearly so given his quite bizarre reaction to the text comments.

I would agree with you on his reaction to texts though.. He really needs to take more of an Off The Ball approach to reading texts... Take them for what they are, somebody firing off a text with something that they would probably never say in real life... He gets bogged down in stupid arguments over the smallest of things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was about to post this in the liveline thread, but its real place is here.

I LOL'ed at the bit where she said "And there is a quiet bit in the movie, and they can hear you crunching away".

I imagined her fellow movie goers thinking "Its 2 hours into the movie, is she still eating??

I turned Mooney off after about 10 mins. Between Derek blaming obesity on Starbucks, Brenda ordering things off menus and not looking at the sizes, and the the Dietician, blaming the cinema for her kids eating crap, I had enough.

I was in the states last week, got back yesterday, and while at first you are amazed at the serving sizes, every restaurant we were in bar one, had the approximate calories in each of the meal servings. Had I been calorie counting, and I was keeping an eye on my intake, I must I admit, it would have made it a lot easier. More so than eating at home. It was a a big contrast to the last time I was there about 5 years ago.

I remember I was about to order some whopper of a burger, and thought "Hmm, lets try and be a bit healthy and order a salad too". I decided against ordering the salad, when I found out it would add an extra 300 calories to the meal. Thats more than a cheese burger from McDonalds.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread, I just mean they really irked me with their stupid comments. Like Starbuck's large sizes of coffee is what causes obesity. :rolleyes:

syklops wrote: »
    I LOL'ed at the bit where she said "And there is a quiet bit in the movie, and they can hear you crunching away".

Known to other people at the closing credits.. She probably gets another couple of buckets for the journey home ffs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

homah_7ft wrote: »

Derek Mooney is incredibly irritating. I find him far too hyperactive and false.

well he is gay

I would agree with you on his reaction to texts though.. He really needs to take more of an Off The Ball approach to reading texts... Take them for what they are, somebody firing off a text with something that they would probably never say in real life... He gets bogged down in stupid arguments over the smallest of things..

Despite the Mod taking enormous offense at my initial point about Mooney's over reaction and indeed his Blatant chatting up of a guest, i actually like the show (On occasions), however what erks me is Mooney's less than objective responses to the slightest bit of dissent and mere mention of anything that (HE) Perceives as being homophobic. I think its his reaction that blows minor comments, issue's completely off the Richter scale. I would have assume any presenter on the national airwaves should remain impartial and certainly not become personal in their attacks. He can be incredibly childish at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Despite the Mod taking enormous offense at my initial point about Mooney's over reaction .......

I assume, given the edit, it was you calling him a "twat" that was the problem.

certainly not become personal in their attacks.

exactly. no need for it, is there?

tbh wrote: »
    I assume, given the edit, it was you calling him a "twat" that was the problem.

I'm not entirely sure why my post was edited, if it was calling this Plonker a Twat, Jezzz the world has become far too politically Correct, Reading across many other threads, "Twat" would pale into insignificance compared to other more extreme descriptions of Public figures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dempo1 wrote:
    I would suggest over a thousand posts would qualify me as a reasonably regular poster.

Not a regular poster on the radio forum from what I've seen, no. If you were then you'd have read the charter by now. I suggest you do that.
    I'm not entirely sure why my post was edited, if it was calling this Plonker a Twat, Jezzz the world has become far too politically Correct

That's your interpretation. Whether the world is too PC or not, the rules are the rules and you will follow them if you want to post here.
    Reading across many other threads, "Twat" would pale into insignificance compared to other more extreme descriptions of Public figures!

Not on the radio forum. Final warning. Don't post personal insults towards radio presenters here.

{EDIT}: PS: Stay on topic here please. If you want to discuss the moderation of the thread, do it via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jesus I had to turn Mooney off. Eanna was talking so quickly, her voice was getting so high pitched it was bothering the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Does a day go by when this guy doesn't mention those little gimps jedward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Mooney show in a nutshell:-

Eurovision ABBA Jedward Mary Byrne blue tits

Responds to listeners calls/e-mails - I'm always right, you're always wrong

Byyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Mooney show in a nutshell:-

Responds to listeners calls/e-mails - I'm always right, you're always wrong

Byyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Absolutely the most apt and correct appraisal of what has to be the greatest pile of ****e on Radio. Mooneys particular trait "Bitter" certainly comes across at the slighest sign of critism or different point of view, he comes across as a spoiled child at the best of times.

Woman on now grieving over her 7 year old goldfish.

This has to be a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lapin wrote: »
    Woman on now grieving over her 7 year old goldfish.

This has to be a wind up.

Serious issue man, get a grip there.

Serious issue man, get a grip there.

You're right.

Its a weighty matter. (Radio 1 after all.)

Apologies to the frigging fish. ;)

D.I.P

So you think that when a child who has had a pet dog/cat/goldfish/gerbil etc and who has had that pet for a number of years and the pet dies, that that is not a traumatic issue?

That's what they were discussing there man.

And they took it seriously, as it should be.

Explain yourself please.

The woman on at the end of today's programme was no child.

I fully understand grief at the loss of a pet that one can build a relationship with, and interact with such as a dog, cat, horse and other useful animals.

But an adult mourning the loss of a fcuking goldfish.

Come off it man.

What next ?

Caller - My 2 year old pet cockroach died Derek, I'm awful upset.

Mooney - What happened to the poor cockroach luv ?

Caller - The neighbours cat ate it.

Mooney - Bad cat. Joe has just joined us in studio.

Joe Duffy - What was the cats name ?

Caller - Get a grip Joe.

It's kind of a bit insulting after the discussion of suicide that they had earlier in the week.

• Advertisement

The woman on at the end of today's programme was no child.

I fully understand grief at the loss of a pet that one can build a relationship with, and interact with such as a dog, cat, horse and other useful animals.

Come off it man.

What next ?

Caller - Get a grip Joe.

Why pick on one instance in what was a serious discussion.?

All of the people in the studio who were professionals took it seriously,maybe when the occasion arises for yourself, you might take a more enlightened view.

The woman on at the end of today's program was no child.

But an adult mourning the loss of a ****ing goldfish.

Come off it man.

What next ?

Caller - Get a grip Joe.

Your ****ting me, is the above for real? I have to be nice (mod got a little tetchy last time), did that really insightful and charming DJ Mr. Mooney seriously entertain a story about a dead goldfish with Joe Duffy joining in? (for the mods attention, i have quite a number of posts on Liveline thread although apparently this may not count as radio)

I can't believe what i am reading above, the Liveline just dealt with the tragedy of suicide with enormous sympathy (if not labored a little by Joe), then he moves into another studio encouraging this tripe?

Tell me this is not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Eurovision now. :rolleyes: If its not Jedward, its the Eurovision.

Ever since Derek Mooney escaped the closet, he seems to be hellbent on producing the campest show in irish media history...

telekon wrote: »
    Ever since Derek Mooney escaped the closet, he seems to be hellbent on producing the campest show in irish media history...

Well I'd cut him some slack on this one, as it is probably the most interesting Mooney Eurovision show of the year.. where we get to hear the proposed songs for the next competition..

JEDward on the Eurovision show now Tele... instant Mooneygasm... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

yep i can imagine him foaming at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ugh...its good to know someone is loving it!

Thankfully RTE had the good grace to for-warn listeners about the show today via their website. I'm not listening but can just imagine the smile on Mooney's face sitting between the terrible twins, god i hope their not wearing their infamous tight red outfits, they will never get home LOL:D

I agree with the texters... imagine JEdward trying to sing that falsetto bit at the end of each line of the verse... and the lyrics of the songs are ridiculous... It would be hilarious, but I think the Eurovision people would think we've gone up another notch on the "take the piss out of the Eurovision"-ometer, after having sent the turkey previously..

• Advertisement

Fair play to Liam Lawton for changing two chords on Niamh Kavanagh's 2010 entry and putting it in to this year's competition.. Somebody should tell him the days of priests getting away with anything are gone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Poor enough selection again. Can't see us getting outta semi final with any of these.

Best bet is prob Nikki Kavanaghs song, but is a total rip off of Rihanna. The group are prob 2nd best. The rest are hopeless, worst of all are Jedward.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Poor enough selection again. Can't see us getting outta semi final with any of these.

I would think that it doesnt matter what the song quality is.. all the kids are gonna vote for JEdward, so they will get through without a doubt.. I would think anyway..

Personally I think the best song is the Meskill song, but JEdward would be the best craic.. God only knows what they would do when the cameras are on them..

Don Mescall - Talking with Jennifer

JEdward - Lipstick

Bling - Shine

The Vard Sisters - Send Me An Angel

Nikki Kavanagh - Falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jesus, I reckon Mooney will be **** himself silly with Jedward winning the Eurosong thing.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jesus, I reckon Mooney will be **** himself silly with Jedward winning the Eurosong thing.

LOL, Switching between the liveline and Mooney threads i had the same quite UN appealing thought, Jesus i only saw a few minutes of the late late (in between proper entertainment), god it was appalling stuff, even poor Turbidy looked like he would rather be anywhere than presenting the late late.

Advertisement