Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting BB to the Back of Beyond

Options
  • 17-01-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

For someone in the back of beyond who can't get broadband.

I note wireless transmitters are in fairly remote locations, like hill tops, etc. How is the broadband got to the transmitters and who would supply that.

I'm thinking, seeing as no-one will supply me, why couldn't I cut out the middle man (like Irish Broadband, Digiweb, etc)

Basically what I'm looking for is an idiots guide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Satellite or 3G - Satellite very expensive. 3G not great in remote areas.. speeds aroung 46-56Kif even....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also take a look at Mobile Broadband FAQ...just written
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54893408&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Perhaps my query was not clear enough

None of the providers elaborated on in both threads are suitable.

I'm aware of a remote hill near a town. It has a mast on it and this mast transmits wireless broadband to the town. Where would the broadband be coming from for this transmitter? I thought in my situation, if no one has the infrastructure to supply me with broadband, I could go one step back in the food chain and see what I could do for myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

The Broadband for the hill would probably be coming from a wireless link to a city/town that has backhaul broadband in place.

If your interested in doing it yourself, have a look at www.irishwan.ie

Paul.

• Advertisement
Advertisement