Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad case of Colic

Options
  • 17-01-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Guys

I'm having the a problem with my new baby girl 5 weeks old. She is being bottle feed and seems to get really upset at the same time every night 11:30 pm - 12:20 pm . Seems to be Colic .My wife’s parents said they used Gripe Water and it was a great help .

Seems to have been removed from shelves in Ireland b/c of an EU directive that it contained alcohol.

Have looked around and the UK and Northern Ireland still stock it. Boot in any city in the North or England will have it.

http://www.boots.com/guidedsearch/ne...&Ntk=all&Nty=1

I also came across another forum that advised that they found

WELEDA - Chamomilla 3X

http://www.weleda.co.uk/categories/name/teething-colic

To be better than the new gripe water.

Also that Dr Brown Colic bottles were great
    http://www.edirectory.ie/ir/10000/mo...ck/pid/1649197

http://www.bubblebaby.ie/shop-Bottles-51-32.html

So i'm not sure which of these might help .

Any help or advise at all from anyone out there would be wonderful

Regards

Alan :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi,

I think you should consider bring baby to a cranial osteopath, we have brought our kids at different times, always with great results.

Osteopaths can help with many things, and colic is just one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Just my personal experience, but I tried infacol and a few other remedies from the chemist, they just seem to make him worse!

Gripe water was the only thing that worked for me, and I only needed to use ot for about 2 weeks. Unlike most of the stuff, you can just give it when you think she needs it, the others need to be given before her feed, so she might not have needed it at all.

I stocked up on it when I was in the UK but only ended up using about half of one bottle, have another 4 sitting in the press!

If you know anyone visiting the UK just get them to bring you a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Was just about to post about colic myself. I have a four and a half month old girl just started getting colic about a week ago as we have just started her on full strength bottles as we were breastfeeding. We now use infacol and Dr. Browns anti colic bottles. No colic the last three days. It is worth a try. Also feed your baby in a sitting position and make sure to burp her well in between and after every feed. Doctor recommended up to half an hour of burping to ensure it is all up. Also make a note of position your baby is in when she breaks wind. That way you will know what works best for her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I too tried a number of things to settle baby like Infacol and colic relief drops. I did find Dr. Browns bottles helped. I think different things help some babies and not others. Infacol may work and it might be trial and error. Good luck and remember it will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The only thing that worked for me was a herbal remedy by Sean Boylan. He has a clinic in Dunboyne, just phoned and collected it. After 8 weeks of hell, it was over 3 days after starting her on this remedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I used to wind after every 2ozs used to find that helped and used dentinox colic drops. Advent do anti colic bottles you could try theese

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I remember reading an article recently about some doctors new thoughts on Colic.

from what they were saying Colic is not really a trapped wind pain at all. They reckon that very young babies are unable to control thier emotions fully. That when a baby starts to cry they essentially dont know how to stop.

Our son didnt suffer colic at all......so I dont really have any experiance of colic,but found the article interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 d2b

Sort of related but possibly new thread(?):

Anyone know much about paediatric osteopathy for treating colic? It's not reconised by medical council in Eire at the mo I believe but there are some pratitioners out there.

Is it a 'quack' treatment I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

d2b wrote: »
    Sort of related but possibly new thread(?):

Anyone know much about paediatric osteopathy for treating colic? It's not reconised by medical council in Eire at the mo I believe but there are some pratitioners out there.

Is it a 'quack' treatment I wonder?

Cranial osteopathy on newborns is a fairly new concept. Some parents swear by it, others say it does nothing at all.

http://www.cranial.org.uk/page3.html

Some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi,

we have 3 kids and all have been taken to osteopath at some stage, the earliest was at 5 days, he was a home birth, didnt like to have his forhead touched,
    it seems that while inside him mom, those bones got compressed, 2visits sorted it. the other have been for various reasons, we try to bring them at lease twice a year for "mainteance"

Personally speaking my wife and I cant speak highly enough of them.
    I cant recommend any particular one, as we have seen a few.
    Theresa Kelly's practise in cork, is where we would of gone.
    So anyone in cork, thats the place to gl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

is gripe water available in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

My baby had terrible colic, I tried everything on the shelves with no joy, (gripe water to some degree) I read somewhere (cant remember where) that colic is linked to lactose so I put him soy based formula and I had a different baby in days. :) I kept him on it for about 6 weeks or so before going back onto the regular stuff.

Some would argue against using soya based formula but I was desparate to do something for the wee man.

JP liz you can get gripe water in the north, there are some chemists that sell it in the republic but its rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

My daughter had colic. Tried everything on the market. I found that somethings worked for a few days and then it would start again. It can just be a case of trying them all till you find what works. I did eventually get gripe water and found that it worked the best. Another thing I used to do with my son is sit him up on my knee and gently push him forward - back then side to side as if doing rock the boat with him. My sister is a peads nurse and said that they do this to help loosen the trapped wind. Another thing is while standing hold baby facing forward so there is just gentle pressure from your hand on their tummy. It can help to walk around while they are in this position.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

What ever you use she will have a tough time of it. Infacol about 30min before a bottle if you can and WIND WIND WIND WIND. Gental pressure on the tummy by lying her on your shoulder and wind for about 30/45 min. Even if you dont think there is any more there will be. If she is about 5 months you could try her on a little solids - baby rice seems to help sometimes.

It may seem like alot of winding but you will be glad you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Ozeire wrote: »
    Guys

WELEDA - Chamomilla 3X
    Interesting you mention that. Of my three kids, the only one that had a bit of colics was the eldest. I did a lot of research at the time and found out that the chinese give diluted chamomile tea for colics. I thought there was no harm in trying it a few times. Not sure if that was the reason, but he never had colics again. Ah, and he seemed to enjoy it too.

He was about the same age at the time if I recall well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bananas_blog

Hi Kellie you don't happen to know where it is in dunboyne the sean boylan clinic i've tried to find it before does it have a brown brick entrance to it

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but AFAIK the Gripe Water of the 60's and 70's no longer exists here, or anywhere else - and thank goodness, it was something like 4% alcohol. That said, I used to love it as a kid (so much so that I used to take swigs out of the bottle when my brothers were of an age to need it), and my parents swear by it. Modern Gripe Water is something entirely different, but gets free marketing from our positive memories of drugging/being drugged to sleep.

I'm currently enjoying colic in the wee hours with our second, and while it seems like hell on earth at 3am, it will pass. I looked into all this in great detail last time out, and I'd go so far as to say that teh apparent success of most of the herbal remedies and cranial osteopathy (which borders on quackery, IMHO - have a look here for a lengthy discussion: http://www.badscience.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10728&hilit=osteopathy) cited above represent the phenomenon of regression to the mean - i.e. by the time you seek help or remedies, the colic phase is already on the way out, and by the time you've been administering them for a while, it's already gone. The apparent correlation is coincidence. Of course when you haven't slept for a week or two, any port in a storm...

From my own limited experience I'd be keen on the trapped wind idea of cause, and the principle of lengthy and thorough winding as a solution. Unfortunately winding a child for up to an hour in the middle of the night is almost as bad as the colic itself. Keeping the head-end elevated while sleeping, and long bumpy walks also seem to help our little ones at least. Best of all is the knowledge that one day soon this will a horrible memory you can use to frighten the little blighters into celibacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Our small fella started showing signs of colic at around 3 weeks. I had been using infacol and thought it worked but I definitely think it was more him getting bigger and stronger than the infacol. He was so uncomfortable and even though he was bringing up his wind he looked to be curled up in a ball with it. We started putting colief into his bottles... it breaks down the lactose so it makes it easier for them to digest. It's worked wonders for our little one. He's a different baby since.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

To be honest 50 minutes of crying is not going to be seen as colic by a doctor. http://children.webmd.com/tc/colic-overview

Many babys get upset for 1-2 hours in the night time. Bottle fed babys get upsetlater then breast fed babys(according to our health nurse)

A lot of people seem to jump to a conclusion of colic the minitue a baby crys! although it is natural to think this a lot of the times it can be wind, teething (babys can teeth from a very earle age) etc.

A baby should not be given any medicine even over the counter stuff for colic if a doctor hasnt advised you that the baby has colic....

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Guys this may seem odd but I swear it works.

Our baby girl suffered very badly with colic, we tried everything we could buy to help her and nothing worked, drove up north and got gripe water which also didnt work, contacted some Pharmacy in Tipp who makes up a magical potion and posts it out to you for €15 pw, this didnt work, totally at our withs end we went to a "faith healer type guy" (I don't believe in this stuff but the wife kindof does so I went along with it.)

He said the water we were using was causing the colic and we needed to go to the pharmacy and buy some Sterile water which they use for mixing childern's anitbotics etc and make her bottles on this. 24hrs later NO MORE COLIC. I swear I couldnt believe it.
    It cost about €6 a gallon (lasts nearly a week)
    you dont have to boil it etc as its already sterile.
    almost all pharmacies have it.

I have told this to so many people that have told me they got the same results.
    The chemist asked what we where doing with the water and when we told her she susggested to her other clients,
    She said she can't keep the stuff in as so many people are buying it.

Went on holidays a few months ago in Spain, seemingly only a very tiny amount of Spainish childern ever get colic. what did we notice in the shops all the baby milk said to use baby water for mixing, looked for baby water what was it only litre's of Stirle water.

Hopes this helps someone.. it did for us..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

have you tried giving 1floz of cooled boiled water, our 12weeks old was very windy and we noticed every few days at certain times she'd scream in pain, arching back, stiffening up and/or bringing her knees to her stomach we thought it may be colic but it was trapped wind, we give her cooled boiled water once a day and she's happy go lucky again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fiona hen

I have an 11week old baby girl, she is currently on enfamil A.R. for reflux. however it seem's to be making her constitpated and very VERY!!!! irritable. i was if anybody know's if the milk is casuing this or if their are any other cure's for this????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Fascinating point about the sterile water. What a good tip!

If you're breastfeeding, steer clear of chocolate - it seems to cause colic in some small babies.

The doctors who say colic isn't pain have never seen a colicky baby, I suspect - it's quite obviously pain, and doesn't look like any other kind of crying: the baby doubling up, *shrieking*, absolutely different from normal crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Fiona it's the Enfamil AR without a doubt. If you are also using Infant Gaviscon it can be constipating as well. We had a similar problem and it only eased off when we weaned our ds off the Enfamil. If the constipation is bad you could ask your gp to recommend another milk. We were told to use a stool softener such as Lactulose to get things moving and give pureed pears - not good for reflux babies by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

fiona hen wrote: »
    I have an 11week old baby girl, she is currently on enfamil A.R. for reflux. however it seem's to be making her constitpated and very VERY!!!! irritable. i was if anybody know's if the milk is casuing this or if their are any other cure's for this????

If she has reflux then more than likely the irritability is due to that and not the hard stool
    Is she on meds for the reflux?
    My little one has been on Gaviscon since she was about 6 weeks and hsa been through Zantax and has been on Losec for the last 2.5 months. Pain and irritability generally gone but still lots of puking up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kelle wrote: »
    The only thing that worked for me was a herbal remedy by Sean Boylan. He has a clinic in Dunboyne, just phoned and collected it. After 8 weeks of hell, it was over 3 days after starting her on this remedy.

+1 We used the same remedy from Boylans and it worked like a dream.

This was after trying everything including Gripe water.

With our youngest nothing worked(including Boylans remedy) and after a trip to the GP she was diagnosed with reflux (apparently its easy to confuse with colic) and put on Zantac.Her symptoms cleared up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Buy a sling and carry her around it that. It is supposed to reduce the hours of crying overall.

Some colic is caused by milk allergy, you can change to an anti allergy formula if you discuss it with your doctor.
    If your wife's family had colic it might be worth looking into this as allergies are hereditary.

I would recommend giving more bottles with smaller amounts in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

tombull82 wrote: »
    Guys this may seem odd but I swear it works.

He said the water we were using was causing the colic and we needed to go to the pharmacy and buy some Sterile water which they use for mixing childern's anitbotics etc and make her bottles on this. 24hrs later NO MORE COLIC. I swear I couldnt believe it.
    It cost about €6 a gallon (lasts nearly a week)
    you dont have to boil it etc as its already sterile.
    almost all pharmacies have it.

Hopes this helps someone.. it did for us..

I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried this at all? Reading through some old threads before posting a new one... I don't think our little one has colic (like someone posted here before, not nearly enough crying to fit the bill) she is having however A LOT of trouble with down wind, lots of wriggling and pushing and is just so uncomfortable at night but now its spilling in to in between day time feeds too (she's 5 weeks) We keep her upright an hour after a bottle, wind her well and the burps do come, its really the 'bottom burps'... or plain old farting as I prefer to say (none of this fluffy mummy talk!) that is cuasing her trouble... also no sleep for us either these past few nights with all the wriggling and her being clearly uncomfortable. Initially thought it was reflux, tilted bed etc but petty sure now its just plain wind...

Anyway got infacol and will try it but this sterile water idea makes so much sense I'd love to know if there's any more feedback on this at all... either way I think we'll get some and let you kno the results!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

to last poster:)

My first two had 24 hour colic (breastfed, won't go into details, its still too traumatic to think about lol). On my third I said, right, no waaay will I BF. I put her straight to lactose free sma (I had a suspicion my elder children had a milk protein/lactose problem). She did better, but she did even better again when I started using a brita water filter!! We had a particularly easy weekend while away one time and after a day or two realised what the difference was, so I would think that its quite possible that the sterile water would make a difference also.

I still have my baby on the lactose free formula and the filtered water and she does well. If I use babyfood with dried whole milk she has problems, if I use "normal" water she has problems, so for us it was definately the combination that worked.

For €6 a carton (which lasts a week) its not an expensive mistake if it does not work:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Is it sterile water or deionised that you get in the pharmacy? Because if it's just sterile, you can just boil some water at home and save money :-)

Advertisement