Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad case of Colic

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoJo2009

Hi, I just want to tell other Mums with colic babies how we got rid of our baby’s colic. I don’t mean ‘improved the colic’, my daughters colic is completely gone! My poor baby was in an awful way. She could scream for up to 18 hours a day. It took me almost 4 hours to get a bottle into her. The poor little mite was only sleeping for half an hour at a time. My husband and I tried everything from expensive formula, different ways to hold her, rock her and wind her, numerous products to relieve colic such as infacol and gripe water, ridiculously expensive bottles, we scoured the internet looking for a cure, Nothing worked.
    Last week we tried 3 different things and my baby’s colic has vanished. I don’t know which of the 3 things have worked (as we tried them all the same week) or maybe its a combination of the 3, all I know is that my little Angel baby is back!!!
    1. We found a bottle called Nuk, it is designed so that the baby has to swallow the milk differently to other bottles. They were not expensive and have made such a difference to my baby.
    2. We found a product called Colief, it contains an enzyme that breaks down lactose, you just put a couple of drops in her bottle (or breast milk). I’m sure there are other products with this enzyme, just ask your pharmacist what they have available. This has definitely worked for us. Colic babies may find it difficult to break down the lactose in milk, which gives them cramps. This enzyme does it for them.
    3. Finally we took our baby to a bio energy practitioner, (Its kind of like acupuncture but without the needles, they use their hands). Bear in mind that my husband and I are very sceptical about these kinds of treatments (We are both scientists), however as we were at the end of our rope we said we would give it a try. He told us it would take a few days to work. If you have a look you will probably find a bio energy practitioner in your area. Well worth a visit.
    I don’t know which of the above has worked for my daughter, all I know is she is sleeping for 4-5 hours at a time. She gulps down her bottle and looks for more. She loves being held and chatted to, I never hear her crying anymore, the only sound she makes now is a little ahhhhhhhh when she is ready to wake for her feed. My daughter is 7 weeks old, and I am the lucky Mum who gets to enjoy the rest of her baby hood. As they don’t stay babies for very long, Its worth a try. I hope this will work for your baby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

have an 8 week old with bad colic/wind so very interested to see some of the suggestions on here. the sterilised water that people have mentioned, i rang a local chemist there and they weren't sure if i was on about distilled water?? anyone clarify this for me??

and for now should we just use the britta filter, boil the water to sterilise and then add the formula as normal?!

we;ve the dr brown bottles, the colief, she's on the cow and gate comfort formula, is winded as much as we can but the poor thing still gets awful bouts of colic. the gripe water does seem to help as does the colic calm and when trying to settle her an app called "white noise baby" definitely helps her doze off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Ozeire wrote: »
    Guys

I'm having the a problem with my new baby girl 5 weeks old. She is being bottle feed and seems to get really upset at the same time every night 11:30 pm - 12:20 pm . Seems to be Colic .My wife’s parents said they used Gripe Water and it was a great help .

Seems to have been removed from shelves in Ireland b/c of an EU directive that it contained alcohol.

Have looked around and the UK and Northern Ireland still stock it. Boot in any city in the North or England will have it.

http://www.boots.com/guidedsearch/ne...&Ntk=all&Nty=1

I also came across another forum that advised that they found

WELEDA - Chamomilla 3X

http://www.weleda.co.uk/categories/name/teething-colic

To be better than the new gripe water.

Also that Dr Brown Colic bottles were great
    http://www.edirectory.ie/ir/10000/mo...ck/pid/1649197

http://www.bubblebaby.ie/shop-Bottles-51-32.html

So i'm not sure which of these might help .

Any help or advise at all from anyone out there would be wonderful

Regards

Alan :)

My 2nd child had colic and nothing worked - colief, dentinox, Dr. Brown's bottles, winding, craniosacral therapy, tilted mattress, comfort formual, white noise, etc. These are all worth trying though.

If it helps, it doesn't seem to me that your child has colic. Colic is defined "as episodes of crying for more than three hours a day for more than three days a week for three weeks (the rule of 3) in an otherwise healthy child between the ages of two weeks and four months. In my case, my son stiffened his entire body and arched his back while screaming crying. He seemed to suddenly improve at around 3 months.

So, although I'm sure it's very tough, especially given the time of night than baby is crying, 50 minutes does not sound like colic. Maybe it could be a build up of wind from the day or overtiredness.

P.S: having written all this I've realised this is actually a very old thread. My response above is in reply to the original poster.

Advertisement