Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with DV AVI to PS3 -

• 17-01-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have some home movies recorded on DV tape on a camcorder. I imported these using Microsofts Movies maker and saved the AVIs. This was to serve as a backup to the DV tapes. (Aside, I first tried to do the above with Adobe Premiere but the files were about 10 times bigger than Movie Maker)

Anyway, now that I have the files on the PC, I thought it would be nice to just stream to the PlayStation 3 instead of burning DVDs to watch on the television.

However, the PS3 says the avis are corrupted. I tried some (Imtoo) s/w to convert them to mp4 but the PS3 doesn't even recognise these.

So, any ideas on any (preferably free) software to convert these avi's to a PS3 friendly format? Short clips that I took using a (Sony & Panasonic) digital camera stream fine and the PS3 treats these as 'mpeg2'

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

MediaCoder might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Thanks. Any idea what should be the target format to play back on the PS3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Hello

I have some home movies recorded on DV tape on a camcorder. I imported these using Microsofts Movies maker and saved the AVIs. This was to serve as a backup to the DV tapes. (Aside, I first tried to do the above with Adobe Premiere but the files were about 10 times bigger than Movie Maker)

Anyway, now that I have the files on the PC, I thought it would be nice to just stream to the PlayStation 3 instead of burning DVDs to watch on the television.

However, the PS3 says the avis are corrupted. I tried some (Imtoo) s/w to convert them to mp4 but the PS3 doesn't even recognise these.

So, any ideas on any (preferably free) software to convert these avi's to a PS3 friendly format? Short clips that I took using a (Sony & Panasonic) digital camera stream fine and the PS3 treats these as 'mpeg2'

Thanks in advance!
    After a quick search I came across this: http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=102592

Sounds like it is what you need, 'I scanned it briefly', it should make more sense to you I hope. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

The ps3 supports MP4.

Your best bet for streaming over the network would be Divx, or Xvid videos, they are highly compressed and will stream very well.

The ps3 also supports H.264, which is a nice high quality codec...

Also, I would rate Tversity as the best media streamer for the ps3..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Thanks gentlemen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement