Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GU10 problems

• 17-01-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have found that GU10 bulbs cause problems with dimmers and generally.
    I have replaced a good few dimmers where the load was not too highly rated for the dimmer in question e.g. 10 x 50W GU10 lamps on a 1000W rated dimmer, I have also noticed that occasionally when a GU10 blows it will also trip the 10 amp mcb at the fuseboard. These bulbs have all been quality brands i.e. philips or osram. I have also noticed the same thing with the G9 230V halogen capsules bulbs. Am I imagining things? I reckon lads aren't too bothered about it becuse there's a bit of work in changing dimmers.
    I've been meaning to start a thread about this for a while now.
    The other thing is that I've never had the same problem with low voltage bulbs, i assume this is because the transformer will protect the switchgear, but then you have the issue of transformers dying, sometimes resulting in a short circuit. etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I have found the following problems with GU10 lights:

1)The amount of light from GU10s is never enough compared to 12 volt downlighters.

2)They never last long. Again compared to 12 volt downlighters.

3)The light is a more yellow light than 12 volt downlighters!!

I think I will start an anti GU10 movement!!!
    I have also noticed that occasionally when a GU10 blows it will also trip the 10 amp mcb at the fuseboard
    I found this too.
    I have replaced a good few dimmers where the load was not too highly rated for the dimmer in question e.g. 10 x 50W GU10 lamps on a 1000W rated dimmer
    Yes, but I think there are alot of low quality dimmers out there. 1000 watt dimmers always seem to be poor quality. They simply over heat.
    The other thing is that I've never had the same problem with low voltage bulbs
    My thoughts exactly.
    i assume this is because the transformer will protect the switchgear
    I think the transformer gives superiou voltage regulation. This extends lamp life and a short circuit within the lamp due to lamp failure is electrically isolated from the primary side of the transformer.
    but then you have the issue of transformers dying, sometimes resulting in a short circuit. etc.
    Use one quality transformer per light fitting and you will have no problems.
    I tend to use IBL transformers. They are garanteed for 3 years. They even make an IP65 transformer, cheap enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

And you can get dimmable transformers which allow you to use a dimmer with low voltage bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Jaysus lads, I thought everyone knew gu10 halogens = cheap and nasty,twice the price for lamp and last half as long if you're lucky.
    12V MR16 have always been the best choice, better light out of them too.
    If I see GU10s in a house I've always thought of them as being put in as a nixer by an apprentice on the cheap.
    As an aside, what do you think of the megaman gu10s?
    I've put in a few recently, and apart from the pinkish glow for the first minute I think they give a good light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Well I don't think it's fair to say that everyone knows that, I've alys thought that the main trade-off on GU10's was quality of light, In fact most guys I know dispute that there is a visible light difference. Anyway, my main concern as with the damage to dimmers and the tripping of the the mcb, which I've found quite often but haven't met anyone else who has(hence the post). I've spoken to guys in the wholesalers, but usually in my experience( in Galway) these lads know sweet FA about electrical or are sparks who are super sceptics when anything is faulty putting the blame on the installer(me);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

In fact most guys I know dispute that there is a visible light difference.
    Some people also insist that the world is flat!!:D
    I've spoken to guys in the wholesalers, but usually in my experience( in Galway) these lads know sweet FA about electrical
    Very true!

A big issue you will have to agree is lamp life though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement