Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband

Options
  • 17-01-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

looking for internet in Killucan area ....no broadband that i am aware off...no phone line so no eircom...rip off anyway...looking to get that mobile pbroadband for the laptop from either 3 o2 or vodafone..anyone have it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

O2 might be okay, avoid vodafone like plague.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BushyBrows

Vodafone is beyond crap. It amazes me how they can offer nos ervice whatsoever and still charge what they do. Imagine offering a braodband service in Ireland that quits in fog and heavy rain. Hello??? This is Ireland. There's always fog and rain.....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

I am told you can use your phone to connect to 3g broadband and it is more flexable than a modem but 3g prefer u buy a seperate modem.The advantage is same price as modem but as standard it will work at slower speeds most anywhere and at higher speeds in more places:D

Got the 02 broadband package last week, pretty happy with it overall, speeds are slow enough when on GPRS (edge)network, but still faster than dialup, When on 3G speeds are very impressive. Still not sure about the 10GB a month cap, as it includes upload and download. If your using it with a laptop, beware, it'll eat your battery in less than 45 min.
    I'd recommend not using your phone as a modem to hook up to the 3G network as the price per kb is prohibitive if you are using a regular mobile account. If you're an 02 billpay customer, the Broadband package will set you back 80, and 30 a month after. Its probably the best solution on offer at the moment in our part of the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rotti Express

I've used the 3 broadband in Mullingar/Athlone/Tullamore and I'd advise you to avoid. Judging by the thread in the BB forum, nobody's getting a decent signal anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I got O2 a couple of weeks ago and it's excellent,(in Ballinalack anyway) the O2 retail shops should have a more detailed map of coverage then the one on O2's website. Getting up to 100kps regularly and no checking the clock to make sure I haven't gone over the hour yet. Eircom is a total ripoff, my last bill was nearly 200 euro just for poxy dialup. O2 is 90 for the modem which is refundable if you buy and find that the coverage just isn't up to it and 30 a month after that - much better imo.

Just finished my 1st calender month, got through 9.5 GB without ever having to watch it. Pretty chuffed with it tbh. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardseller

Just in case anyone is interested i am selling a unlocked 3g modem Here
    This Allows you to test all the networks just use a pre paid sim from your phone or whatever and you can be sure to get the best service in your areasmile.gif no contract free to do as you please dont like a provider switch simply as that

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

3 the mobile phone/broadband company are not the same thing a 3G.
    3g means third generation and it's a data transfer protcol, all mobile operators offer 3G broadband or/and HSDPA.
    Then you have the 3G stores which used to be eircom stores, they are now a sort of carphone warehouse operation that sell all home/mobile phone/broadband brands and services. people should not get these confused. or you might end up with a mobile phone service from tv3 and thats somthing you could do without.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hair's Pam

I have the 3 mobile braodband, it allows me to download up 10 GB Per month for €20, as far as i know when i was buying mine O2 were allowing the same 10Gb per month but it was €40 per month and with vodafone it was €10 euro per month but only 5GB down load,

• Advertisement
Advertisement