Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Abroad in Feb/Mar

Options
  • 17-01-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I'm a newbie surfer, been 2 or 3 times in Ireland. I want to head off somewhere (really)warm in late Feb or March to a good surf school for beginners. I've been to Oz so was thinking anywhere else. I'm goin to go for 3-4 weeks and I'm not that concerned about cost( haven't been on holiday for 2 years).

If anyone can recommend a location and surf school or even just a location that would be great. I've mailed the Irish Surf Assoc last week but they didn't get back to me.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ergo

Hey there,

as a relative newbie ( I had only done a 5 day surf trip up the east coast of Australia a few years previously) I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was plenty of surf on one of the Canary islands Fuerteventura. I was just there on a sun package holiday November 2006, weather was great, night life pretty quiet. I wasn't on a dedicated surf holiday but signed up with a surf school on one of the beaches (can't remember the name of them). What they did was drive right around the island looking for the best waves and then set up camp there for the day. We were at El Cotillo for the 2 days I went - definitely the highlight of my 7 day holiday!

Although I was on a package thing staying in a self catering place there were some English people staying in a "Surf Hostel" for the week. Also Ryanair fly there 3 days a week from Dublin but some of the packages which include accom can work out quite cheap

here's one website with more surf info

http://www.fuerteventura.com/surfing/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

El Palmer is Andalucia Spain is a good spot http://www.winterwaves.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Freddie2008

Thanks for the replies Ergo and learnerplates. Has anyone been a bit further a field where your guaranteed really good weather e.g Costa Rica,Bali or Indonesia.

Has anyone been to Bali or Morocco in late Feb/Mar? Looking for a surf school for a beginner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

South Africa is the only place to consider.. It is a brilliant place to surf and to travel in general. Cheap as chips out there as well. Although flight is a bit costly..

• Advertisement

ibh,

Do you go to a surf school when there? I'm a complete beginner and will be travelling on my own also. I don't mind to much about the cost

I didn't do surf school in SA, but i went there directly from Australia where i had done surf lessons. When i got to SA i had only done about 3 days of surfing and i found it to be first class. A friend had 10 years of experience and he felt the same.

Have a search for Jeffreys Bay surf school or Durban and i'm sure you'll find stacks of places. You coul also do some kite surfing there. I know a few people from Ireland who are there for a few months doing that.

All you will need is a couple of lessons, and if they are anything like most services in SA, they will cost you very little.

http://www.infojeffreysbay.com/surf_school_jeffreys_bay.htm

First google search brought this up. If your travelling alone, i would look into going on the Baz Bus. It's sorta for backpackers and supposed to be a great way to see the country, and the travel times are flexible.

Advertisement