Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Newspaper in Waterford

• 17-01-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I've been hearing about a new newspaper coming out in Waterford in February. It's called the Waterford People, that's all I know. Anyone know whose behind it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dear God, another freebie (I presume). I can't imagine how it'll find an advertising market that'll sustain it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I know one or two people on it alright, I think it will be a paid one. No idea who's behind it though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya heard the same myself. Id assume myself its a paid paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

1st issue is out in early February I think. They have their offices in Cleaboy Business Park as far as I know. I'm fairly certain it'll be a paid paper. I think part of the reason why the News & Star switched to the tabloid format was because of the Waterford People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

In the Book Centre, among the regional papers they have others like the Wexford People, Wicklow People and Carlow People. They all use the same style and seem to be obviously from the same group. Maybe this is from the same stable.

And a quick Google shows they are all from Independent News and Media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

They're all part of the People Newspapers group I think, along with The New Ross Standard, Gorey Guardian, Enniscorthy Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Independent News & Media are the owners - Catherine Power of WLRfm Sports report will be the Sports editor alegedly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They also have one of the News & Star Reporters, Jeniffer Long, apparently. She was the one who used to cover the big storys for Waterford in the N&S, and did a lot of coverage for the Waterford Monoply thing.

Are these papers actually any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

JæKæ wrote: »
    They're all part of the People Newspapers group I think, along with The New Ross Standard, Gorey Guardian, Enniscorthy Guardian

Yeah that's right I know the son of the guy that owns them all,loaded.

The paper also has acquired the assistance of a prominent Waterford estate agent to be in charge of advertising, perhaps this offers an insight into the state of the housing market in the city/country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the leader 64

i heard catherine power from wlr has left the station to the new paper.

i also heard that the independent newspapers are behind the new paper.

is waterford big enough for 4 local papers.

• Advertisement

i heard catherine power from wlr has left the station to the new paper.

i also heard that the independent newspapers are behind the new paper.

is waterford big enough for 4 local papers.

Since when did we have 4 local papers?! o_O

The Waterford Today is a paper with 90% adverts and 10% news. Its not really a local paper..

The Munster Express does not just cover Waterford..

The N&S is good for local news, I think.

well sully i can not disagree i find news and star and munster express 2 excellent local papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

apparently a few from wlr and beat have left to do the newspaper.Is being edited by a one that used to work for wlr.Dont care whatits like, won't be buying it anyway.Waterford today only good for wiping your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Hear the editor is Justine O Mahony, Catherine Power is Sports Editor, as posted above, Jennifer Long left the News & Star while Dermot Keyes is gone to it from the Munster.

With the Independent group owning it I have a feeling we will see a fairly huge push on the paper.

If its good enough then at least it will put a bit of pressure on the two big locals - that said with the News & Star gone tabloid obviously it has had an impact already!!

Speaking of the News & Star does anyone think it is too bulky now that it is tabloid!!!!

You'd need a fork lift to hold it up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Yeah that's right I know the son of the guy that owns them all,loaded.

so, do I take it you know Sir Anthony O'reilly CEO of Independent News & Media who in turn owns all of the regional newspapers in the people group?

from http://www.independent.ie/business/world/oreilly-ups-his-inm-stake-to-28pc-1262826.html
    ======================================================================
    Sir Anthony O'Reilly, the chief executive of Independent News & Media (INM), has bought 1 million shares in the company increasing his stake to 26.6pc. When associated parties are included Sir Anthony now has 28pc of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Bards wrote: »
    so, do I take it you know Sir Anthony O'reilly CEO of Independent News & Media who in turn owns all of the regional newspapers in the people group?

from http://www.independent.ie/business/world/oreilly-ups-his-inm-stake-to-28pc-1262826.html
    ======================================================================
    Sir Anthony O'Reilly, the chief executive of Independent News & Media (INM), has bought 1 million shares in the company increasing his stake to 26.6pc. When associated parties are included Sir Anthony now has 28pc of the company.

No, and Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Lets hope its a good paper as all there is at the moment as regards to waterford is the news and star(waterford today is a 2 minute read and munster express is munster, obviously!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

But is the Munster Express really a Waterford paper? I know is says Munster in the title, but it all seems to be about Waterford and a little bit outside that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BazBox wrote: »
    ...and munster express is munster, obviously!).

I'm presuming you have your tongue pressed into your cheek there. The Munster Express covers not only Waterford and South KK, but also the Carrick and New Ross areas. It's more an 051 paper than a Waterford one... but Munster? I've never quite understood that bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm presuming you have your tongue pressed into your cheek there. The Munster Express covers not only Waterford and South KK, but also the Carrick and New Ross areas. It's more an 051 paper than a Waterford one... but Munster? I've never quite understood that bit...

yes, my tongue was firmly pressed into my cheek writing that:D

• Advertisement

i find the munster express good paper as they coverage a lot of sports and most of all it is a family owned paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It would seem there will be two versions. One for the city and another for the county. Got a flier in the door today about the Dungarvan People.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Promises 7 days tv listings w00t! ;)

If it looks good and reads well it might well succeed with INM behind it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yep, got one of those fliers in with the morning post. The jury is very much out on this one. The weekly mag is the one that ships with all the INM papers isn't it?

Meh. I say merge the two together. Id like to read about the city & county without having to buy two papers individually.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It would seem there will be two versions. One for the city and another for the county. Got a flier in the door today about the Dungarvan People.

Apparently its one for Waterford and one for Dungarvan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The flier I got was news for Dungarvan and the county. Much like what the Dungarvan Leader and Observer already do.

I was speaking to the group running the paper today, she told me it was a Waterford and a Dungarvan paper being printed and released next Tuesday.. We shall wait and see how it turns out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

So the new paper has hit the shelves and first impressions is that it seems to be good.

There are a lot of photos and particularly local people - hence the name I presume.

This could actually find a nice ok and could do damage to the current two big ones.

The big question is can they sustain it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Very impressed with this I had a scan through it at my break lots to read it's printed on a good quality paper. There's even a schools sports section. Pity not all the schools were included, but my guess is that in time they will be included. There's even a news story in it that happened at around 1pm yesterday.

Advertisement