Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Back in UK for 2008 Season

• 17-01-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

http://www.miamiherald.com/856/story/383208.html
    LONDON --
    The NFL will return to Britain next season.

The league, which held its first regular season game outside North America in London last October, said Thursday it would come back again in 2008.

The teams, date and venue will be announced during Super Bowl week late this month or in early February.

The New York Giants beat the Miami Dolphins 13-10 in front of 81,176 fans at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28.

"The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved - the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves."

Wembley officials weren't so ecstatic because the game, played through a persistent drizzle, tore up the field and left it in rough shape for England's crucial European Championship qualifier against Croatia on Nov. 21. The English lost that game 3-2 and failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

Besides Wembley, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, is another possible venue for next season's game.

Cardiff FTW.. they can close the roof there if it rains...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Hopefully it will be in Murrayfield in Edinburgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

Cardiff seems like a good choice if they don't get the pitch sorted at Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can't see it being anywhere but London. US teams going to play in Cardiff is the equivalent of premiership football teams playing in Jacksonville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

hey leave jacksonville out of this.its a nice place.....

with a great team.

Jags for AFC South next season come on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

kev_s88 wrote: »
    hey leave jacksonville out of this.its a nice place.....

with a great team.

I agree, but I guarenteee you 90% of Britons couldn't find it on a map...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Definitely gonna try get over for this. I'd say it will be in Wembley again to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Would the FA allow them back to Wembley? Seen as how some English folk blame the NFL for the English team not qualifying for Euro 2008..

Also, I dunno if i'd go again this time, unless better teams were to come. I mean while it was some experience back in October, the quality of football was poor (i know the weather didn't help) and when you see a fixture of NY vs Miami, you don't leap with excitement, do you?

dulpit wrote: »
    Also, I dunno if i'd go again this time, unless better teams were to come. I mean while it was some experience back in October, the quality of football was poor (i know the weather didn't help) and when you see a fixture of NY vs Miami, you don't leap with excitement, do you?
    Well NY are in the conference finals so they're obviously alright. They just got unlucky that Miami were the first ones to offer up a home game, and that they did so during their worst season ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

According to the San Diego Union Tribune looks like it will be the Chargers-Saints

Link

Apart from Patriots V Seahawks can't think off a better matchup really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sea Devils wrote: »
    According to the San Diego Union Tribune looks like it will be the Chargers-Saints

Link

Apart from Patriots V Seahawks can't think off a better matchup really

Oh i'll go to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

dulpit wrote: »
    Would the FA allow them back to Wembley? Seen as how some English folk blame the NFL for the English team not qualifying for Euro 2008..
    Utter bull on their part, if you remember beforehand it was the Croats who were complaining about the pitch, you didn't hear a word from the English. The Croats are far more skilful players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

yip looks like chargers-saints according to the rumors across in the US- game will be @wembley again.....must try to get acccomodation this time round cos I am not sleeping on the floor in stansted again!

whats the story with getting tickets.do they do it by lottery or is it first come first served?

kev_s88 wrote: »
    whats the story with getting tickets.do they do it by lottery or is it first come first served?

Probably a lottery like last year but i don't think those details have been announced yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Folks, nfluk.com are opening their registry of interest for getting tickets to the game TODAY at 6.30.

The teams are being announced around then aswell aren't they?

Saints against the Chargers in Wembley on October 26th.

Think that should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

And Roger Goodall announced 3 games in the next 3 years.. Great stuff.. Signed in and registered interest for tickets. The saints and chargers would be a cracking game to go to..

can't get the link to work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i was getting an error message when i clicked on register your interest, but it turns out it was because i had an apostrophe in my surname! ha ha

Now playing: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Sir Psycho Sexy
    via FoxyTunes

You had to be signed out while going to the link.

Took me twenty minutes to find that out:p

SantryRed wrote: »
    You had to be signed out while going to the link.

Took me twenty minutes to find that out:p

cheers. that worked

By the way loads of guys who play in the league ended up in The Porterhouse in Covent Garden on the Saturday. Probably will be the same again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Woop! Got my interest registered! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Dodge wrote: »
    Can't see it being anywhere but London. US teams going to play in Cardiff is the equivalent of premiership football teams playing in Jacksonville

Jacksonville is the largest city in the United States in square miles.

I understand where you are coming from though.

Anyone thinking of going over, Flights at the minute are only 70 euro on bmi for going out on the Sunday and coming back on the Monday.

Taking the risk that i'll defo get tickets:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

London is a route that we are never short of flights on.... If you get a ticket you will have plenty of time to get a flight for pretty cheap...

registered my interest so my fingers are crossed what a game that should be....Goooo chargers!!

• Advertisement

really hoping some tickets come my way.

i hate both teams but i cant miss out an opportunity to see the NFL ar its almost best.

i say come on CHARGERS!!!!

Two exciting offence teams and Saints should be spending or drafting some strong defensive players this year which should make both teams good on both sides of the ball. Can't wait. Have booked accommodation but not flights yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

jdivision wrote: »
    By the way loads of guys who play in the league ended up in The Porterhouse in Covent Garden on the Saturday. Probably will be the same again this year.

What league?...

I'm going, booked into the IBIS beside Wembley with many other Charger fans. I travel over sat morning back monday afternoon.

Tickets won't be an issue if last year is anything to go by.

Irish league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jdivision wrote: »
    Irish league

Leslie91 What jdivision is referring to is the Irish American Football League or IAFL.

http://www.iafl.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Anyone get club wembley tix yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Anyone get club wembley tix yesterday?

Nope. I was disappointed with the blocks being offered. I didn't hear of any near midfield being offered. Best was 'corner flag'. Reckon the prawn sandwich brigade are getting the better seats. Gonna hope for the lottery on general tix now.

Advertisement