Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

County town of Donegal

• 17-01-2008 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

So like living in Letterkenny my friend always thought because it is the biggest town it is also the county town....But its really lifford aint it???

so what should be the county town? 40 votes

Letterkenny
    0% 0 votes
    Donegal town
    37% 15 votes
    Lifford
    15% 6 votes
    Ballyshannon
    32% 13 votes
    Buncrana
    2% 1 vote
    Gaoth Dobhair
    10% 4 votes
    Stranolar/ballybofey
    0% 0 votes
    Raphoe
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Iano2K8 wrote:
    So like living in Letterkenny my friend always thought because it is the biggest town it is also the county town....But its really lifford aint it???
    Like yuhhuh, fer sher.
    A map or like a Wikipedia could have like told him/you this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Iano2K8

Well actually any maps i looked at didnt help... because letterkenny is so big it is seems to always be shown on them...

Oh, now with added poll. Muff FT...Waitaminute! you have no muff! (I don't care if it's not big enough. Insert another 20 muff-related puns.) ¬_¬

Any decent map will have a different symbol for the county town. Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Karoma wrote: »
    Oh, now with added poll. Muff FT...Waitaminute! you have no muff! (I don't care if it's not big enough. Insert another 20 muff-related puns.) ¬_¬

Any decent map will have a different symbol for the county town. Meh.
    Well a person from Muff is known as a muffler (boards.ie excepted). Thanks for the plug Karoma :D

Ah this poll might be a bit of fun - long time since we had a vote on anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

muffler wrote: »
    Well a person from Muff is known as a muffler (boards.ie excepted). Thanks for the plug Karoma :D

Ah this poll might be a bit of fun - long time since we had a vote on anything here.

Man im from muff and I've never been called a Muffler.... Where did that one originate?

• Advertisement

djdeclan wrote: »
    Man im from muff and I've never been called a Muffler.... Where did that one originate?
    Thats because there is only the one muffler - and thats me ;)

ever been called a diver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Just voted for Lifford, they have a nice wee library there too, at least they used to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

:mad:

I'm from Lifford.

Lifford alway has, and always will be the County Town.

That's like saying "Oh, oh, New York should be capital of the USA because it's sooooo much bigger than Washington DC."

Just voted for Lifford, they have a nice wee library there too, at least they used to!
    The Library is back in the Courthouse.

I must say, I like the humour of the poll...

Raphoe??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

smashey wrote: »
    :mad:

Lifford alway has, and always will be the County Town.

+1

Lifford without a doubt.

And I can't even see people in Letterkenny would want to be. Can you imagine all the farmers driving their tractors into Letterkenny to get their tractors taxed?

At least in Lifford, you can park (unless you want to buy a lotto ticket on Saturday evening!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

always thought lifford was the county town due to certain goverment buildings or centre of goverment for the county

:confused:

I must say, I like the humour of the poll...

Raphoe??? :D
    The highest town in Donegal and second highest in Ireland I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So would this be the capital of Donegal???

when i was small I remember being told Lifford was the 'county town' of Donegal and with my young years, i couldn't work out how it wouldn't naturally be the biggest town, i.e. Letterkenny.
    I voted Lifford, why change now?

The highest town in Donegal and second highest in Ireland I believe.

I knew the drug use was bad there, but second highest in Ireland:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Wicklow town is the county seat of County Wicklow, despite Bray having a population over three times the size. And even though it bears the county name, that's no guarantee of county town-ness. Leitrim is not the county seat of Leitrim and Kildare is not the county seat of Kildare. And of course, Donegal is not the county seat of Donegal. And neither is Letterkenny. So the moral of the story is.......:confused: Lifford ftw.

deman wrote: »
    +1

Lifford without a doubt.
    I like you. :D
    deman wrote:
    And I can't even see people in Letterkenny would want to be. Can you imagine all the farmers driving their tractors into Letterkenny to get their tractors taxed?
    They don't have to tax their vehicles in Lifford anymore. They can do it in Letterkenny, Carndonagh, Milford, Dungloe and Donegal Town as well.
    deman wrote:
    At least in Lifford, you can park (unless you want to buy a lotto ticket on Saturday evening!)
    Try getting parked anywhere on a Friday afternoon. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Just made a wee mistake - I'm after voting for Letterkenny but it was a total mistake/force of habit thing.

Not even I would claim that Letterkenny is the County Town (or would go looking for it). We're as likely to get Finn Harps & McElhinneys out of Ballybofey as we are to get the County Town status away from Lifford!

It makes Donegal cosmpolitan, like Canada, USA, Australia etc!

I think the actual term used for Lifford is "The Administrative Capital" which would probably apply to every town around the country which houses the headquarters of its Council.

And I don't believe for one minute that young Mr Blake "accidentally" voted for Letterkenny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

We're as likely to get Finn Harps & McElhinneys out of Ballybofey as we are to get the County Town status away from Lifford!

Lifford of course. It's also handy having it for a postcode when ordering something from the UK (L1FF ORD).

As for McElhinneys shop, it has been out of Ballybofey before.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

is raphoe still the smallest city in europe?

I'm a muffler and so's my wife.

Raphoe's not a city...

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote: »
    I'm a muffler and so's my wife.

Raphoe's not a city...
    2 imps - ossible and osters :D

Im the real muffler - check my profile if you dont believe me ;)

Oh and I did attend the highest school in Ireland

Oh and I did attend the highest school in Ireland

Which is higher? The Tech or the Royal?

Oh, and Raphoe IS a city. It's known as a cathedral city. So not only does Raphoe have a cathedral but it's got two. Does this make it a city twice over?

Which is higher? The Tech or the Royal?

Oh, and Raphoe IS a city. It's known as a cathedral city. So not only does Raphoe have a cathedral but it's got two. Does this make it a city twice over?
    The tech would be higher up. Or "Deele College" as it's now known.

By the way, it's great to see common sense on the poll.

The tech would be higher up. Or "Deele College" as it's now known.

Been gone too long, I guess. Hard to keep track of things. :confused:

Odd thing is that Lifford (despite being the capital town) never had a secondary school

Odd thing is that Lifford (despite being the capital town) never had a secondary school
    Prior?

Prior?
    Yeah it was there till 71 but sadly hadnt an open door to the locals. So that is why i wouldnt term it as a secondary school.

Yeah it was there till 71 but sadly hadnt an open door to the locals. So that is why i wouldnt term it as a secondary school.

My dad was local and that's where he went.

My dad was local and that's where he went.
    From my recollection of the prior school I dont think it catered for students of all religions (I am open to correction on this) but thats a different topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Being a Liffordian I voted for the old home town. Being the only town in the county with a Greyhound Track it has to be !!:)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Being a Liffordian I voted for the old home town. Being the only town in the county with a Greyhound Track it has to be !!:)
    Yeah - there are some fast bitches in Lifford :D

Advertisement