Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband.gov.ie - line checker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That's your tax euro's at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That site uses the Eircom database.
    Lines with BB often fail the test, including mine, so don't feel too special.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

yep i just fail anyhoo BECAUSE EIRCOM WONT UPDATE MY EXCHANGE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Its because you have DSL on your line. Use eircoms line checker. You will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

that line checker is to make sure your line is clear.

if you have broadband then you wont have a clear line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

that line checker is to make sure your line is clear.

if you have broadband then you wont have a clear line.

Possibly, but mine changes from pass to fail on a monthly basis nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭flaka

it doesn't do what it says on the tin - "To check if your telephone line is DSL enabled"

The stupid app can't tell the difference between a line with DSL connected and one that can't carry DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

the check result has nothing to do with you having DSL or not - it's all to do with the threshold set by the provider. On the eircom side, they test lines using a "pre-qual" system that tests the attenuation on the line using electrical signals (it is independent of the DSL service). If your line attenuation is below a certain level then your line is classed as "green" and you can order service normally. If it is above that level, your line will be "amber" or "red" (depending on which part of the country you are in) and the service provider (either eircom or BT in your case) may still try to deliver you service on a best effort basis.

As I understand that the pre-qual limits set by eircom are relatively conservative, anecdotally I understand that in many cases lines that "fail" on pre-qual will still be able to get a basic 1Mbps service - or in some cases even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Maybe this is area-dependent, but for my own exchange area, it seems that the basic package limit is near 100dB. Same for the Dunleer and Termonfeckin exchanges. I do not know for certain how they achieve it over such a large distance.

Advertisement