Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - RE TEST - VW, any mechanics here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 zolwien

Zolwien, you have been a great great help, I am glad I have finally got advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. I will take your advice and act on it, Sure I work for a well known auction site, Ill do some research tomorrow in work to see what sellers will sell me a CAT converter cheaply for the cost of Negative feedback being removed - only joking, Lol. Thanks again for your help Zolwien, just one other and final question, how much do you think my local mechanic will charge me for fitting the CAT converter and Lambda Sensor. ?smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
    don't listen these guys here!obviously they are mechanics trying to save their jobs etc...You have spot on!every single of them is trying to rip you off!thinks you are stupid.All say i don't know the rough price ,you have to leave your car blah blah and after few days he calls come up with hell of lot price.
    Now i told you the sensors you can buy in Micks garage(internet only)the CAT can be found (http://www.healytyresnaas.com/page6.htm)if you adventures enough you can shop around in UK and German websites to buy them.I say you might save extra 50 or even more euros.
    I son't know how much will be your local garage.(from what i've seen from GARAGE(the TV series)it took them less than 20 mins to replace the sensor and should be 30 min for CAT.So you make your calculation your self.BUt i told you there are few Russian mechaniks around dublin(D7,Fairview,Lucan)which their labour cost is much cheaper and no hassle as well.
    My last advise is replce them both as sensor effects your fuel consumption as well so working sensor means fuel economy for your car not for only NCT.Do you know what i mean?

cheers mate!god bless you!

Wikipedia to replace car mechanics and potentially take over the world, ummm ok.

In Soviet Russia, the car, it NCT you!
    hmmm...Soviet russia have about 3 own brand in auto industry and have sent first people in space in the world back in 60s.Soviet russians have their own aviacompany and produces airplanes,helicopters to compete against Airbus,Boeing etc....Is there any irish made cars in the world???I haven't seen one.
    What you say:It's not rocket science.....But russians do know rocket science hahaha.:-)and most of the smart guys in US NASA are mostly from Russia and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Zolwein, you are priceless.
    I spent 4 years studying and training to be a mechanic when I could have picked it all up in a few hours from tv and the internet. Where were you when I started my apprenticeship?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

+1
    Cowboys ted, fcuking cowboys the lot of them...

i don't care how many years you have studied !!!!!!!(i haven't seen what is in your brain).All i know is :You have to be competitive and customer focused instead of ripping them off!!!!!!alright my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Zolwien's completely right.... and not just about mechanics. I am experiencing pains in my chest, dizziness, chronic diarrhea and shortness of breath.... but will I go to some ripoff doctor with 7 years of training who'll charge me an arm and a leg? No way! I'm off to wikipedia to diagnose myself.

:rolleyes:

Zolwien's completely right.... and not just about mechanics. I am experiencing pains in my chest, dizziness, chronic diarrhea and shortness of breath.... but will I go to some ripoff doctor with 7 years of training who'll charge me an arm and a leg? No way! I'm off to wikipedia to diagnose myself.
    When i first came in ireland GP Visit was 25-30 euro now it's 50-60 in less than 5 years!!!But why?Is doctors pen and paper cost has been increased?:-)
    that is bad.doctors should not ripp people off.In my country they do swear to Flag and say they will do everything to help patient and save their life before getting their Doctor's certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Dude, you need a new heart. Don't bother getting someone to check you over. Just fly to China, get a human heart on the black market. Open up your chest and replace it with your old one.

DO NOT GET IT CHECKED. THE DOCTORS WILL BE TRYING TO SCAM YOU.

This thread is great.

quarryman wrote: »
    Dude, you need a new heart. Don't bother getting someone to check you over. Just fly to China, get a human heart on the black market. Open up your chest and replace it with your old one.

This thread is great.

Now you're trying to scam me! I can get a perfectly good sheep's heart out of the dumpster behind Kepak, bring it to China in an ice box and only pay for labour. I've checked Wikipedia and it says that a sheep's heart will do fine but I may suffer from occasional internal bleating! :o:eek:

it's not funny my friend!people already flying to Hungary for cheap dentist(and better service,technology that most irish doctors haven't even seen)that's fact!!!
    Shame on irish industry really..loosing all customers on alternative route for being not competitive to them.

• Advertisement

i lived and worked iin oz and whenever a fellow paddy would start complaing that it was tooo hot, tea bags were sh1te etc the ozzies would always retort, the planes are still flyin and if it is that bad head off, we wont stop ya...mate

+1

javaboy wrote: »

hahahahaha:D

That's good investigative work javaboy!

John Wayne kerbside motors unlimited i take it....

slideways wrote: »
    John Wayne kerbside motors unlimited i take it....

One and the same. Ah well at least he's not going around telling people their headlight fluid needs topping up like all those nasty 'real' garages. :D

i lived and worked iin oz and whenever a fellow paddy would start complaing that it was tooo hot, tea bags were sh1te etc the ozzies would always retort, the planes are still flyin and if it is that bad head off, we wont stop ya...mate
    that's only thing you can say!but you have nothing else to deny the fact i've stated previously.And remember no foreigners means no foreign investments,no investment means Irleand back in potato field!

You are already seeing that every week there are 200-300 jobs loosing in ireland and if the speed is keeping that way within the 5 years time you are back on potatoes!So then you walk with empty pocket and saying everything is GRAND!!!like you allways say.

So remember Competitive is the key word in every sector!not ripping people off everywhere!Otherwise you know what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

javaboy wrote: »
    Now you're trying to scam me! I can get a perfectly good sheep's heart out of the dumpster behind Kepak, bring it to China in an ice box and only pay for labour. I've checked Wikipedia and it says that a sheep's heart will do fine but I may suffer from occasional internal bleating! :o:eek:

NOOOO!!!!

Don't do it!!!!

Use a pigs heart instead, there are less likely to be compatibility issues. :)

zolwien wrote: »
    Oh yeah ,every irish person do respect their law and follow the rules.yeah right!

The majority of them do - while you're lucky enough to be gracing our isle, you should too.

First off i want to state that i have no probs with foreigners working here even after getting laid off last week and a slovakian being put in my place cause he was cheaper!
    Dont see many of them investing here, most of the lads i know are sending the money out of the country. The only real prob i can see of all the foreigners were to do a legger would be a real lack of service in macdonalds and kfc....
    And i like potatoes, dont see the problem there ;)

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    NOOOO!!!!

Don't do it!!!!

Use a pigs heart instead, there are less likely to be compatibility issues. :)

But pig hearts are bigger than sheep hearts so it might be harder to sow me up after. Ok no more plays upun words. :eek:

The majority of them do - while you're lucky enough to be gracing our isle, you should too
    majority?is that include your Bertie?who has problem with his Tax issue?:D

First off i want to state that i have no probs with foreigners working here even after getting laid off last week and a slovakian being put in my place cause he was cheaper!
    Dont see many of them investing here, most of the lads i know are sending the money out of the country. The only real prob i can see of all the foreigners were to do a legger would be a real lack of service in macdonalds and kfc....
    And i like potatoes, dont see the problem there wink.gif
    What about the money from US/EU investors?whole new dublin's financial district IFSC?(all foreign investment)it's not just few eastern europeans working in ireland.My friend think in Macro scale not within your tiny brain frame.Ah yeah perhaps you only eat potato that's why ,it did effect your brain.:rolleyes:

zolwien wrote: »
    The majority of them do - while you're lucky enough to be gracing our isle, you should too
    majority?is that include your Bertie?who has problem with his Tax issue?:D

The majority only means more than half so it's irrelevant whether Bertie is tax compliant. Incidentally what country do you come from that has no corrupt politicans?

funny thing is this suppose to be motor forum and someone of you tried to play with race card.So it ended up here.I'm not saying there is no corruption in politic but stop try to convience me that Ireland has the lowest crime rate and law ,you should follow law blah blah...Where clearly you can't even handle few bunch of gangs shooting each other almost every day and these mobs on the street.
    so it's over for me!it will be always 1 against ALL.
    Anyway ,enjoy your rip-off ireland and spend it like mad until your last penney drops!ciao......

I love boards. One person mentions that the majority of people obey the law and it quickly descends into a potato slinging race war!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

I wonder did this 'advice' actually fix the problem in the car...

Or maybe chucky1989 have to go buy flux capacitator from man in leather jacket at back of pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

klaus23 wrote: »
    I wonder did this 'advice' actually fix the problem in the car...

The car is probably on its way to eastern europe as we speak.

Irish Diagnostics according to Zolwien(er)....

obdspud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You have to convert that spud to ethanol before it'll work. Don't let zolwien near it he'll probably run of and distil it for personal use... :D

And as for the guy with the Bora: get it fixed and NCT'd or get it off the road. I guarantee you that you will end up in major trouble eventually getting caught with no NCT.

P.S. A diagnostics plug isn't there to make dealers money. Expert independents can use them as well. It's there to find out as much as possible before starting any work on a piece of complicated technology. As opposite to some cowboy who's going to replace an exhaust system he gained his knowledge about on wikipedia and might miss a faulty air mass sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Man this thread is priceless !

I have to say though that there are some good points made by all. Whilst I would never subscribe to replacement part diagnostics there is a balance between paying stupid money on main dealer labour when all they appear to do is the same thing, and doing it yourself !

There are few true diagnostic experts out there or good mechanics, thankfully we have a few here on Boards...............and Wikipedia !

As mentioned before I'm glad I did all my exams in Bolton Street and spent 11 years in the Motor Trade.............looking it all up on the net is just too easy, takes all the blood,sweat and tears out of it !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement