Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying clothes from ebay

• 17-01-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

wondering does anyone have any experience of this? Thinking of buying a dress of ebay for a ball..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yup, I've bought dresses from eBay, what do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

:oJust wondering, I presume it was second hand..or was it new? I don't know really, just wondering whether you were happy with what you received?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

I've bought loads of clothes from ebay without any problems.

The only potential issue is sizing. If it's from a high street store you will prob know from experience what size fits you but if it's from the dressmakers in Korea, Hong Kong etc make sure you measure yourself and compare with the description as in my experience they can be a bit on the small side.

Some of the party dresses and gowns are beautiful and unlike anything you'll get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i've bought loads of dresses from ebay, if you get lucky with one person, they might have a store and you can buy from their ebay shop. I found one in singapore, bought a dress and it fit like a glove! so i bought a few more from her...wore them to a few weddings, and got loads of compliments! people were shocked when i told them ebay..

If you click on the dress you like, it will show all the details under the picture, size, colour, new or secondhand, etc..

good luck! don't get addicted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

arac wrote: »
    :oJust wondering, I presume it was second hand..or was it new? I don't know really, just wondering whether you were happy with what you received?!

some are second hand, some brand new. it will say in the description which it is.
    If you're looking for dresses, dresses from places like coast on ebay might be the best bet because you'd be more sure of your size. If you're ordering dresses from hong kong or china, check the measurements carefully. also, order in plenty of time before the event,it can take up to a month to arrive from there.

also, read the sellers feedback before you do anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I've bought loads of clothes from ebay. I've even been known from time to time to try on clothes in a shop to get an idea of the sizes and then get them off eBay.

Definitely read the feedback on the seller (personally I don't buy off anyone that has a score of less than 99%).

Invest in a measuring tape and measure yourself and compare it to the charts that the seller gives.

Also watch out if you are buying stuff from outside the EU as you may get caught for import duties. Though I have say that I've only been caught the once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've bought clothes from ebay with only one disaster to report and that was refunded as soon as I emailed the seller. I only buy new things and as such I always stipulate "BNWT" which means "brand new with tags" when I'm searching. I find searching like that saves falling in love with something only to find it's second hand and a bit raggedy when you get it eventually.
    I've gotten some lovely things at usually a third of the price I might pay in the shop. Warehouse , Monsoon and Coast usually yeild some nice dress results. I got two "BNWT" silk Warehouse dresses for E30 each last summer while they both were still on sale in the shop at the time for E90 and E120. I've always been a bit nervous of buying stuff from Hong Kong and China so I usually stick to clothes from high street shops so I know that they will fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

Everyone is right about the tape measurements advice. You cannot go by what the tag or headline of the ad says! You must measure yourself.

I've had great luck and only a few disappointments, usually in the form of the item smelling like smoke, but a cleaning sorts that one out rather quickly!

Advertisement