Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Estate Car should i go for??

• 17-01-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    Was hoping to pick your brains on the following.
    I’m considering a couple of different estate cars for my next purchase.
    I need some extra room and don’t like the style (or price) of an SUV.
    I will have approximately eu7,000 cash to spend but would be flexible if the right car was a little more than that.
    I’m considering the following at the moment, all in petrol versions and under or at 2 litres
    • Audi A4 Estate
    • Volvo S40 Estate
    • Passat Estate.
    • Honda Civic Estate – seems pretty rare though Civic Estate
    Some of the things I would be interested in would be
    • Reasonable cargo space (seats that fold down well),
    • Reliability & Service Costs
    • Not too big an engine for tax reasons & fuel economy,
    • Goodish looks and of course
    • A little bit of fun to drive.
    Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

A4 estate is a good lucking car but I would go for the TDI version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

A4 estate is a good lucking car but I would go for the TDI version

I've never owned a deisel so not sure about the pros and cons. As far as i know the benefits would be reduced fuel costs and an engine that lasts longer trading off against increased noise and possibly some odour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

The A4 ticks most of those boxes, not great leg room for the passengers is the only thing I didn't like about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

what about a forrester? or perhaps a mondeo estate

what about a forrester? or perhaps a mondeo estate

Vengeance thanks for those suggestions. I’ve taken a look at both.
    The forrester seems to be quite expensive (looks only a mother could love :D), the mondeo just screams at sales rep at me, the passat would too, to a lesser extent I guess.

High & Low – to hell with the passengers in the back being a little cramped J
    What’s the A4 like for servicing costs, how much approximately is a timing belt change for example.
    TBH It’s the once I fancy most but a little concerned about cost of ownership and also how it runs with a 1.6 or 1.8 petrol, enough power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've never owned a deisel

Ive owned both.

Ill never buy a petrol car again

Why Snyper what did you find?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the cars you mention above are not known for their boot space, they are more leisure estates than load carriers. Of the ones you mention the Passat would be the most practical.

I would through the Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5, Peugeot 406 estates into the hat.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=808424

promethius wrote: »
    Why Snyper what did you find?

In my expierence, they are more reliable, particularly in older cars... plus they have a higher life expectancey.

There could be Mechanics with a differing opinion, but ive gone thru a few cars in my time and this is what i conclude.

Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline (petrol) engines of the same power, resulting in lower fuel consumption. A common margin is 20% more miles per gallon for an efficient turbodiesel.

Diesel engines produce very little carbon monoxide as they burn the fuel in excess air even at full load

The lack of an electrical ignition system greatly improves the reliability. The high durability of a diesel engine is also due to its overbuilt nature as well as the diesel's combustion cycle, which creates less-violent changes in pressure when compared to a spark-ignition engine, a benefit that is magnified by the lower rotating speeds in diesels. Diesel fuel is a better lubricant than gasoline so is less harmful to the oil film on piston rings and cylinder bores; it is routine for diesel engines to cover 250,000 miles (400 000 km) or more without a rebuild.

Did you consider the Opel Antara? I drove it and liked it alot! Im actually thinking of getting one!

20060905-2007-opel-antara-front.jpg

40,000 euro

Thanks Bazz. I hear what you’re saying about the load space, the leisure estate type size would be enough for what I need it for.
    I will check out the mazda but tbh the French cars would make me a little nervous at the kind of mileage versions I’d be able to buy.
    Not sure if this is justified however?

• Advertisement

Very nice summary Snyper!
    Unfortunately the Antara is out of my range, it's a fine looking set of wheels so good luck if you go with it. Looks a little M Class maybe

Yes alot of ppl say it looks abit like a class M..

It drives really smooth, and only a 2.0 l engine

Im buying the commercial version.. only 32K ;)

Commerical i like it! Hope they give you rear doors still.
    Good luck with her if you go that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Prom,

Would you consider a 318TDS Touring, 1999, around your money?

Not mine, just one I've noticed during my commute, semi private sale. Looks genuine, very clean.

1.7 tax etc. 90 bhp, so not exactly rapid.

Just a thought, PM me if interested & I'll pass on the sellers no.

Cheers

A Skoda Octavia Combi:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=719531

As recommended by most boards.ie members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

snyper wrote: »
    Did you consider the Opel Antara? I drove it and liked it alot! Im actually thinking of getting one!

is there one going for 7k, somewhere?

btw, surely the original of the Antara - the Chevrolet Aptiva, is cheaper?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

bazz26 wrote: »
    A Skoda Octavia Combi:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=719531

As recommended by most boards.ie members.

Yes yes yes. I'm on my fifth Skoda and my next will probably be an Octavia Combi 2.0 DSG (I have a great Superb but they no longer do the combination of an automatic gearbox and a high-powered diesel, and I can't wait until a new one comes out in September).

The Octavia is a Golf but cheaper and with better spec, and has huge luggage space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nice thing about the Civic Aerodeck is that it's available in 170bhp 1.8 VTI form. The spec is also very high, and they can be had from the UK for half nothing. I considered one for a while. Fun factor it would blow the other 3 into the weeds, and it's still only a 1.8. Would be yards more reliable than the A4 or Passat too.

Different front lip on VTI:

img-uk_cars-P0247a94703d8898226b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, please consider not using blue font - it's invisible on Cloud skin, which a lot of people use. Stick with the standard white.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Biased, I know, 'cause I have one: Subaru Legacy Tourer.

Or second choice: Honda Accord Tourer with stunning 2.2 diesel engine.

• Advertisement

Esel didn't realise i'd used a diff font hopefully this is ok, thanks.
    Civic is very nice too, very few on the used car sites however.

If you want a Civic estate then you most likely will have to buy one in NI or mainland UK. They were never offically sold in the ROI by Honda so the few that are around are imports.

Baz i've just been on autotrader for the uk and there are plenty of them over there. nice examples for low money. I'm running a honda now and sticking with honda is a tempting prospect. Need to research the importing thing i know there's a good thread here on that too. Presume there would be no issues (in general) with parts in rep of ireland since it's going to be very similar to the saloon version of the civic?

I remain interested to know what peoples opinions on the a4's reliabilty and cost of ownership are/
    Thanks!

promethius wrote: »
    Baz i've just been on autotrader for the uk and there are plenty of them over there. nice examples for low money. I'm running a honda now and sticking with honda is a tempting prospect. Need to research the importing thing i know there's a good thread here on that too. Presume there would be no issues (in general) with parts in rep of ireland since it's going to be very similar to the saloon version of the civic?

If importing one do it before the VRT/motor tax changes on 1st July. Most petrol cars will be more expensive come July especially the 1.8 VTi version of the Civic.

BTW the Civic estate was actually based on the 5 door Civic hatchback made between 1995 and 2000. That shared alot of technology with it's sister car, the MG Rover 400/45 and was built in Swindon. The Civic 3 door and 4 door of the time were built in Japan. Not sure how common parts are between the different models but I cannot imagine them being too different in order to cut production costs.

As I said, they can be had from the UK for half nothing. Autotrader and ebay are they two best places to look. The VRT is marginally higher on them than any other model Civic, from some bizarre reason.

There would be no problem getting parts, or getting it serviced in a Honda dealer (if you wanted). The model is officially KE region, meaning it's Ireland & UK, only Universal Honda chose not to import it. The garages are all trained on it, have access to tech docs, and UH can get the parts.

Pirates Black is tempting, as it's a lovely colour when clean and under good light. But as a friend of mine in Universal Honda commented: if I bought one in Pirates Black I could do nixers for Patrick Massey (funeral directors);)

EDIT: The Rover in Bazz speaks of was actually a Civic. Everything on it except the front grille was designed by Honda.

JHMEG wrote: »
    EDIT: Bazz is half right. The Civic Aerodeck was actually built in the US, as was the the Accord Aerodeck.

Never knew that. Always assumed it was built in the UK due to being designed around the Swindon built Civic. Did they ever sell it in the US?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Never knew that. Always assumed it was built in the UK due to being designed around the Swindon built Civic. Did they ever sell it in the US?
    Sorry Bazz, I editted my post. Bit of a slip there: Civic Aerodeck was Swindon built, Accord Aerodeck was US.

Interesting stuff lads. Do you think it suffers from being linked with rover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

I've done some pre delivery inspections on the Antara and im impressed just dont like the kinda metal end of the steering wheel..

Opel Vectra/Astra estate is a nice buy also

• Advertisement

The opels wouldnt be for me thanks anyways Alz

Advertisement