Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax now or feb???

Options
  • 17-01-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm clutching at straws here I suspect..but here goes.

I drive a new model Honda civic Hybrid. Under the new tax system in june the tax on these cars will drop to €100.

The tax on my own car is up now at the moment. If i tax it now for 12 months i'll get it at the current rate without the 9% increase...but....i've heard people talking about People having to option to opt for the new tax system or the greens doing a u-turn and allowing all cars be taxed under the new system...so...do I tax it now for 12 months at the lower rate or do i tax it for 3 or 6 months and see if i can opt for the new tax sysyem?

I cant see the gov letting people opt for the new system as the only people that will go for it are the people ( like me) that will save money with the result the money in the exchequer's purse will drop..they wont likethat. the 50% VRT rebate that came with these hybrids is due to expire before the new tax system comes in.

anyone hear these rumours??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tax is not going to drop as you already own the car - it only applies to new vehicles. You going to have to continue to pay your current tax rate, plus the 9% increase for the future.

I'm not best pleased about that myself as my own tax drops significantly (242 to whatever the second rate is)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Typhoon. wrote: »
    ...but....i've heard people talking about People having to option to opt for the new tax system or the greens doing a u-turn and allowing all cars be taxed under the new system...

They were talking about this on TodayFM's The Last Word. I think it was just wishful thinking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

The tax is not going to drop as you already own the car - it only applies to new vehicles.

I think there is a feeling this will be reversed. I have heard a couple of government ministers on the radio saying there is a good chance the option for people with older cars to opt for the new green road tax system.

The argument was that if this does not happen, people who were environmentally conscious buying their cars in the past will be angry they are not being rewarded. Remember many of the people in this situation would likely be green party supporters.

The big question is would you take the risk and buy your new car now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

thanks for the replys guys....

I know the new rate of tax wont apply to me...but if theres a chance i may be able to opt for it theres not much point in me taxing it for 12 months.

i think it might just be wishful thinking though.

the rebate on the civic was €3000....this rebate is goin in june...i know the vrt is going to drop about 9% and the tax will drop...but the rebate more than covers the vrt drop and covers the difference in tax for about 5 years....so people who already have them cant grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't buy my own car - but it is 4 years old - or its planned replacement (a faster, bigger car in the €100 bracket by 1 gramme) until July, thats for sure. Had intended to replace it soon, but even with Fiat having dropped their list prices to what they will be in July I'd prefer not to spend 220 quid a year extra for the privilidge of having it a few weeks earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement