Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me choose a new car! Don't think the Celica is going to work out

• 17-01-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I was going to import a Gen 7 celica from the UK before July, but have looked into it and it and the price of the car + VRT will be about 8.5k, then my insurance will be 1700 and then 500euro tax per year(thats the price incl. the (9% increase) and think its just strectching it to much money wise.

So i think i may get a diseal after July in order to save on Tax and VRT. Can anyone suggest a nice sporty Diseal? i was thinking along the lines of a JTD Alfa 147 or Leon Cupra, should be a lot cheaper than the Celica. Also love the newer Honda Accords but they are outside my budget to. I actually drove a Megane 1.9diseal and enjoyed it the other day, but dont think I could own one!

Any other suggestions (either cheaper petrol/or a decent diseal)
    And i dont like the BMW 320d, there going to be so common on the roads post July as well!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 noel6071

Might sound a bit mad, but a Rover 75 Diesel, a poor mans Jag :eek: . I drove one my first rover and it was such a smooth car, with a touch of class, it feels like driving a Jaguar. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

noel6071 wrote: »
    , with a touch of class, it feels like driving a Jaguar. :)

An X-type isn't a real Jag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    An X-type isn't a real Jag!

X-type is a p*ss poor Jag but it's a nice car in it's own right as long as you are not expecting Jag Kudos. Estates look kickass IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

How about an skoda octavia vrs diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I think you'll find that any relatively decent diesel will be more expensive than the Celica to buy. (And less enjoyable to drive!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 Diesel Multi-jet. High spec ones can be bought in the UK even cheaper than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OT, but what are you replacing the FTO with, colm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ok so im torn between a high miler Celica Gen 7 or a mint Alfa 147 (plus ill have a bit of cash left over)?

Im into cars so pretty much know the pros and cons of both cars, but just cant decide what i like more! Ive wanted both cars for the last few years. Will be buying it in the Uk over the next few weeks?

Please help me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I wouldn't worry too much about the high mileage on the celica just make sure it has full service history and all the usual things taken care of.

The Alfa is a lovely car too though, if you know the pros and cons i guess its just up to you to weigh them up and see which is the best option for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote: »
    OT, but what are you replacing the FTO with, colm?

More than likely a BMW Six. (3.0)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

draffodx wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the high mileage on the celica just make sure it has full service history and all the usual things taken care of.

The Alfa is a lovely car too though, if you know the pros and cons i guess its just up to you to weigh them up and see which is the best option for you

I have ive even made a list, but just cant decide.Ive only sat in a celica, never drove one, so am gonna do that soon. Drove the 147 and loved it. The 147 would probably be more practical to - just dont know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I have ive even made a list, but just cant decide.Ive only sat in a celica, never drove one, so am gonna do that soon. Drove the 147 and loved it. The 147 would probably be more practical to - just dont know!

I have a feeling that driving the celica will sway you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    More than likely a BMW Six. (3.0)

There he goes, another BMW thread.
    Pfff,.

Advertisement