Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Fuel Pumps

• 17-01-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was filling up the car earlier and thought "why do fuel stations disable the automatic filling feature on the pumps".

Remember years ago you could clip the little trigger into place and you didn't have to keep the handle pressed yourself!

Why are they all disabled these days? I'm sure some people would forget it's on auto pilot and end up spending more money than planned so I'm sure it would benefit the stations in some way!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They've caused a number of petrol station fires in the US. People clip the handle in place, get back into the driver's seat and when they get out they're all static'ed up. When they grab the pump handle, a little spark jumps to the nozzle, igniting the petrol.

Not to mention that you'd probably clip it up and as soon as you jump back into the driver's seat, it would click off annoyingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never quite got the purpose of them. It takes at most about a minute and a half to fill my car entirely...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

MYOB wrote: »
    I never quite got the purpose of them. It takes at most about a minute and a half to fill my car entirely...

It's the fact that when I fill up, I ALWAYS go one cent over what I want, annoying.

It's the fact that when I fill up, I ALWAYS go one cent over what I want, annoying.

"Fill up" in my eyes is "wait until the pump deactivates due to gas back". I've never, ever put in a specific amount...

What's the point - you'll still put the same amount of fuel in over the time period, possibly more due to unnecessary trips to the filling station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

'cos if I put in 50 squids worth I don't have to stand and wait for change?

• Advertisement

'cos if I put in 50 squids worth I don't have to stand and wait for change?

Credit card (which is paid off in full every month, I'm not a future case for an Eddie Hobbs show :p). I would rarely have 50 quid cash in my wallet...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

"why do fuel stations disable the automatic filling feature on the pumps".

In answer to your question.
    On all of our pumps we have this auto clip supplied from new.
    The law states that that if the pumps are unmanned, ie selfservice, then the autofill function must be removed.
    But if the pumps are attended (staffed) the autofill may be left functional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jamieh wrote: »

Remember years ago you could clip the little trigger into place and you didn't have to keep the handle pressed yourself!

It's not allowed under Irish law. At least, that was the bones of the email I recieved from Statoil a couple of years ago. I posted the response here - do a search and you might find it.

EDIT : I found it.............
    Statoil wrote:
    Subject: Re: "Customer Service / Comments"
    Date: 26 Bealtaine 2006 17:03:16 ASÉ

Thank you for your e-mail.
    My apologies for only getting back to now.
    Your query appears to be about nozzle clips. There is a latching clip on
    the handle of dispensing nozzles that can be fitted to latch the handle in
    the open position.
    It is common to see these in parts of Europe and the US where they are
    permitted.
    It is however, illegal in Ireland to have these installed on dispensers of
    class I petroleum product (Unleaded).
    This is as per S.I. No. 311, Dangerous Substances Regulations, 1979, Part
    II, Paragraph 43.

Therefore it is company policy to remove these from all pumps, across all
    products, on Statoil Ireland forecourts.
    This is performed as a safety measure to reduce the likelihood of
    accidental spillages during use.

Thank you again for your query and hopefully this answer is to your
    satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Triin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I never put '20 quid' in, always put the same amount of litres - that way you're more aware of when the rip-off petrol stations are charging too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love&Light

MYOB wrote: »

Consider for a moment the Girlies with smaller hands, hands that cramp while they keep grip long enough to put €80 worth of fuel into the tank :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yep, you're correct... unless you're Harry Potter you're not allowed a clip on a petrol nozzle.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    It's not allowed under Irish law. At least, that was the bones of the email I recieved from Statoil a couple of years ago. I posted the response here - do a search and you might find it.
    43. (1) A stop, catch or similar device shall not be provided on a pump hose nozzle of a petroleum Class I dispensing pump which is designed to keep the nozzle valve open to permit delivery of petroleum without manual pressure unless—
    ( a ) the pump is operated at all times by an authorised person.
    ( b ) the nozzle is provided with a suitable and efficient automatic shut-off device to prevent spillage which may result from a splash-back occurrence or obstruction in or overfilling of a fuel tank of a vehicle or container, and the minimum flow-rate to operate the shut-off device does not exceed one-half of the flow-rate for which the retaining latch is set,
    ( c ) in the event of the nozzle falling out of the filling-pipe of a vehicle, the operating lever of the nozzle valve is automatically released from the retaining latch or device upon contact of the nozzle with the vehicle or the ground,
    ( d ) the flow of petroleum is stopped immediately in the event of the nozzle falling out of the filling-pipe of a vehicle, and
    ( e ) suitable means are provided to prevent so far as is practicable the displacement or detachment (other than by manual movement) of the nozzle in or from the filling-pipe of a vehicle during the delivery of petroleum to the fuel tank.

Love&Light wrote: »
    Consider for a moment the Girlies with smaller hands, hands that cramp while they keep grip long enough to put €80 worth of fuel into the tank :p

Girlies with small hands driving cars that can take €80, and me, 6'5", driving a Panda that takes about €40. Worlds backwards clearly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

I always jam the petrol filler cap in the petrol pump trigger thingy and hop back in the car
    my car takes 70 Euro to fill and im not standing around freezing for 5 mins
    AND before everyone gets on their horse about this
    if the Tank is filling up it clicks off
    and of the pump ever fell out the petrol cap would fall out and it would click off

gives me time to finish my smoke and answer the mobile while the car is filling up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always do that. They never ask for the cent, so some free petrol:D I figure by the time they ban cars I'll have saved €1:D

Advertisement