Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted List Confusion.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Yes chem, I see where you are coming from
    but will a .22 do what a .50 do?:D.....but at a different scale:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yes chem, I see where you are coming from
    but will a .22 do what a .50 do?:D.....but at a different scale:D

Damn you got me there;) Action man figure at 100yrds vs human size targe at 1000yrds

But all jokes aside is there going to be alot of 9mm pistol clubs, 45 clubs etc to try give reason for licence granting? Its not beyond the letter of the law I think? So what is the anti arugement? "from Da Man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

chem wrote: »
    Damn you got me there;) Action man figure at 100yrds vs human size targe at 1000yrds

But all jokes aside is there going to be alot of 9mm pistol clubs, 45 clubs etc to try give reason for licence granting? Its not beyond the letter of the law I think? So what is the anti arugement? "from Da Man"

I think the anti argument will be :
    Target shooting is target shooting, you can get as much fun shooting a little ole 22 at 200 yrds vs a .50 at 1000 yrds, if you want a challenge push the 22 out to 350 yrds. I think the key here is to have your reasons ready, if it is restricted have very good reasons:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

yes but .22lr doesnt allow for handloading and playing around with your own loads developing a whole system that gives you the best results on paper whether it be 200yrds or 1000yrds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I get what ye're saying but I have a shotgun that will be restricted as do a few of my friends - to be honest I can't think of a decent reason why I need the larger mag in it - It wasn't a deciding factor at all when I bought the gun and I've never fired more than two shots at any one time anyway - so am I now out of pocket?!

I really think ye're all being a bit naive. It's going to be down to how they implement and interpret this change and going on past performance they're not going to make it easy for us.
    I and many others in shooting , will find that remark to be offensive , untrue and mistaken . People involved in this process spends many hours every day working on this , for no pay , at the loss of their own time ,their own money, by their own choice , for the good of all shooters. Fact !
    Don't want to insult or upset anyone jaycee but I think that's bollocks talk.
    Speaking from my experience in the broader hunting world the people that get involved in hunt politics aren't the real deal - they're often fellas that have lost interest in the actual sport but want to stay involved - ego also has a lot to do with it - hobnobbing with politicians etc. :rolleyes: that's human nature I'm afraid.

I know a lot of them personally - doubt the shooting lads are any different. Don't get me wrong - they serve a a usefull purpose and I appreciate that but don't be codding yourself as to why they do it ;)

Well I have a half day today and have a good weekend of hunting and shooting planned so see ye Monday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

thelurcher wrote: »
    I get what ye're saying but I have a shotgun that will be restricted as do a few of my friends - to be honest I can't think of a decent reason why I need the larger mag in it - It wasn't a deciding factor at all when I bought the gun and I've never fired more than two shots at any one time anyway - so am I now out of pocket?!

So you have a firearms dealer put the plug back in and your sorted ..
    So ..no you arent out of pocket . Or ...if you can show a good reason for having it ... you keep it as is .. your choice !!
    I really think ye're all being a bit naive. It's going to be down to how they implement and interpret this change and going on past performance they're not going to make it easy for us.

I don't think firearms should ever be "Easy" to get , but there will be a structured process in place to make applications , and thats a good thing.

Don't want to insult or upset anyone jaycee but I think that's bollocks talk.
    Speaking from my experience in the broader hunting world the people that get involved in hunt politics aren't the real deal - they're often fellas that have lost interest in the actual sport but want to stay involved - ego also has a lot to do with it - hobnobbing with politicians etc. :rolleyes: that's human nature I'm afraid.

I won't take it as an insult , although i could . I will just call your remark a sweeping statement that tars everyone with the same brush . Not a fair or nice thing to do . Some are in it for the reasons you describe to be sure , but quite a few of the real workers aren't in it to gain anything like that.
    I know a lot of them personally - doubt the shooting lads are any different. Don't get me wrong - they serve a a usefull purpose and I appreciate that but don't be codding yourself as to why they do it ;)

If you have personal experience of people who represent you who you feel are doing a worse job than you could .... why don't you do it ?
    Well I have a half day today and have a good weekend of hunting and shooting planned so see ye Monday :)

I don't have a half day today , and if im lucky I will get in an hour or so actually shooting over the weekend . I will probably spend 5 times that long on the stuff you describe as bollocks talk partly so i or someone like me can log in and set your mind at rest about what you wont lose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Well if I wanted a .50 rifle and the powers that be said "for what do you need this WMD?" if I was a member of a .50 target shooters club. As there are in the UK. Is this seen as a good enough reason for having it? as it is a .50 cal club only I would need a .50 to join

That could not be construed as a demonstrable use. Being a member of that club is a choice. If a Grade of competition requires a .50 then you have the beginnings of a discussion.

"Competition" requires more than one so you would be between a rock and a hard place as you would have nobody to compete against and therefore could not use the " I need it for competition" chestnut.

At the same time if you could show you had a use for it abroad - as Mr. Brophy did with his H&H .375 - then you could have an argument you could win. So - If you were going to .50 target competitions - actual competitions - abroad and were able to show that you had reached a grade of competition where you needed to practice more regularly - at home - and you had a letter from a range here telling you they would allow you to use it if you got it - you might have the beginnings of an argument.

But ...... you better be minted and have the patience of Jobe.

And ...... i'd agree to cover it in pink velvet so it doesn't "look" like an assault rifle.

:D
    B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

What if I wore the pink while shooting the BMG:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5atzsujOp8

Advertisement