Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone apply for a credit card with halifax & hear nothing back?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Well the title says it all. Decided to apply for their credit card so I can my 7% less interest per month & get E100 free.

Never been in arrears & my limit is about 1/4 of what I'd probably be offered if I wanted it so I can't see them declining me.

Even if they did decline me I'd expect to be told. Applied early december I think & have heard nothing

Anyone got a response from them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

They've been having problems keeping up with applications. How in ever, I recieved mine shortly after christmas. I could have got it earlier were it not for a stupid so and so in one of their branches :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

stepbar wrote: »
    They've been having problems keeping up with applications. How in ever, I recieved mine shortly after christmas. I could have got it earlier were it not for a stupid so and so in one of their branches :rolleyes:

Yes they are inundated, someone from the office was told this and told it could be upto another 3 weeks max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

well, i applied 3/12/07 and was told im refused on the 04/12/08. now ive been ringing them and was told to apply to icb for a credit history as apparently their scoring system went against me. i went ahead and done that, and icb sent me a letter with only my name and details and previous addresses and occupation and history of enquiries with 2 from halifax and thats it. how am i supposed to know my credit report in that way???

anybody had any dealings with them?im very very confused.

Spipov wrote: »
    well, i applied 3/12/07 and was told im refused on the 04/12/08. now ive been ringing them and was told to apply to icb for a credit history as apparently their scoring system went against me. i went ahead and done that, and icb sent me a letter with only my name and details and previous addresses and occupation and history of enquiries with 2 from halifax and thats it. how am i supposed to know my credit report in that way???

anybody had any dealings with them?im very very confused.

I'd say that they gave you low scoring because of the previous addresses maybe not living at present or previous address long enough, possibly also your occupation and the fact that you had previously applied to them for something. The difficulty now though is that this could affect you if you applied elsewhere. I would write a well worded letter to their credit committee asking them to review your case perhaps providing a bit more background information into your housing situation and job profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

will try and do that. though im wondering if its worth all the hassle.

i opened a current account and a monthly saver at the same time

im a doctor. so im wondering...

was a student here for 6 years, so again...

who should i write the letter to?send something like

the manager
    halifax credit card operations
    po box 40
    Dundalk
    Louth

?

• Advertisement

I can't believe they turned you down if you are a doctor unless you had unpaid debt as a student. The main banks would kill for your business. If you can't get any joy at branch level or by phone, a well worded letter requesting that they review your application at their next credit committe sitting eventhough they are not obliged to reply to their actual reasons. If this doesn't work write back saying that you are making a formal complaint about the handling of your application. They must reply to that. It is not the prospect of getting a Halifax credit card that would bother me it is the thought that my credit rating could be affected. I would consider starting a relationship with one of the big 4 banks as you will be in the mullah at some stage !

Their email is customer.relations@halifax.ie

or

Halifax
    Customer Relations
    Customer Service Centre
    PO Box 40
    Dundalk
    Co Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

broker2008 wrote: »
    I can't believe they turned you down if you are a doctor

i'm also a doctor and this time last year i applied to halifax for a credit card and was turned down, with no explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm convinced that the only reason Halifax gave me a Credit Card is because I work for a competitor bank :D Mind you a limit of a grand wouldn't be big mullah TBH.

BTW if a bank turns you down for xyz they are not obliged to give you a reason.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

They are a shower of eejits.
    I sent in phone bill, driver licence and AIB statement in November, in Dec they send me a letter telling meI needed to send out more details, so i ring them, they've lost my phone bill, they now want a copy of the back of my driving licence too, oh and they won't accept my statement as its not a real one..(I've opted for no paper statements and only use my E-statements) so i explain the e-statements and they accept this and i report a phone bill and a new copy of my driving licence.
    So far since Dec 6th i've gotten 3 letters telling me I'm approved for a cc (again) and that they will be sending out a pack requesting some documentation, and this morning i recieved a text stating the same.
    So I rang them again and confirmed they had my phone bill (original) with my address, my driving licence with my address and my AIB statement with my address, but they want another bill, not a government one either, no for the life of me I can only think of my phone and bank bills that i get, theres nothing else that isn't from the government.
    So I told them to cancel the application, for a cc.
    It all seems very very unprofessional, and from what i can gather the customer services aren't in Dundalk like it says but in the UK, and they really have no idea about anything irish, the girl at the end of the phone didn't understand that my address was actually on my driving licence as well.
    All in all, i will not be going anywhere near Halifax again and will be advising others to stay away too.

Advertisement